Help picking Tripod Head

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Guys,
I have a PRS Large Tripod...it's a SLIK. I'm about to purchase my first spotter and was wondering if I should purchase a quality head for my current tripod or just get a whole new system. I know ZERO about tripods and heads so any info would help me out a lot. I'm running Vortex Razor HD's 10x42 and I'm looking at the 65mm Vortex Razor spotter.

bates

WKR
I guess how much money do you want to spend?

not sure about the PRS but are going to want to shoot off it with a rifle?

if not then i would buy a good quality head, try it on your current tripod and if needed and you have the cash then upgrade your tripod later, but i would buy once and cry once now on the head.

lots of options, on the lightweight side the outdoorsmans micro is sweet and will be good for the binos and spotter

i also like a gitzo with the single turn knob for locking it down, the bigger outdoorsmans is also nice.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't care to much about the price as long as it works well for years. For the most part I'm a buy once cry once but ultimately I'm a best bang for the buck guy. Shooting off of the tripod isn't that much of a concern. I have the rifle rest already but I've never actually used it.

I guess how much money do you want to spend?

not sure about the PRS but are going to want to shoot off it with a rifle?

if not then i would buy a good quality head, try it on your current tripod and if needed and you have the cash then upgrade your tripod later, but i would buy once and cry once now on the head.

lots of options, on the lightweight side the outdoorsmans micro is sweet and will be good for the binos and spotter

i also like a gitzo with the single turn knob for locking it down, the bigger outdoorsmans is also nice.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
GoHunt has Sirui tripods. They seem like a lot of tripod for the money but I just don't have any experience with them and I don't know which head to go with.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Tons of info on this site about tripods and heads. I went semi-budget and picked up a Vanguard PH-111V (they can be had for around $50) and I'm very pleased with it. Individual locks but it is smooth.

I have a buddy with a Gitzo and that thing is badass. One big dial for vertical and horizontal, and super smooth. But it's heavy. A lot of people like the Benro head ($76 on S&S)

Another buddy went with the ball head from Vortex and that thing is junk.

My advice: Buy a decent head and be done with it. If you need to upgrade your legs later just swap the head over.

bates

WKR
Ok
Then

I have the outdoorsmans micro and the gitzo 1720

Both have pros and cons and I love each

Do you need $500 in heads no but nice to have choices

Overall I like the gitzo a tad better but for the weight the micro is sick and it interfaces with the bino adapter w/out additional plates

If money isn't an issue. Get the Outdoorsman's pan head. It's super light, rock solid, and smooth as butter. Not to mention made really well.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I just contacted Outdoorsman about their bino mount, pan head etc. I haven't purchased my spotter yet but I'm leaning towards the 65mm razor. I believe the Micro Outdoorsman would work for that set up and I'm having them give me info so I can set up my Razor 10x42 with their bino stud mount system. I believe that would be a pretty good system. I haven't thought to much about it but maybe I'll update my tripod as well and just be done with it.

bpctcb

WKR
I really don't care to much about the price as long as it works well for years. For the most part I'm a buy once cry once but ultimately I'm a best bang for the buck guy. Shooting off of the tripod isn't that much of a concern. I have the rifle rest already but I've never actually used it.

I too like quality gear, but I'm a bang for the buck guy as well. I recently researched and then bought a tripod & head. I ended up with a Benro Tripod TSL08CN00 for $119 and a Benro S2 head for $79 from B&H photo video. I love this setup; it's lightweight, functions great and it only cost me $198.

BP

AlaskaEd

WKR
Sirui C-10s head is very good, and not a bad price either. It's a ball head but it pans separatly as well. I have it on my T-025x.

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I just contacted Outdoorsman about their bino mount, pan head etc. I haven't purchased my spotter yet but I'm leaning towards the 65mm razor. I believe the Micro Outdoorsman would work for that set up and I'm having them give me info so I can set up my Razor 10x42 with their bino stud mount system. I believe that would be a pretty good system. I haven't thought to much about it but maybe I'll update my tripod as well and just be done with it.

I run the same optics's as you listed. I went with the micro pan head as I use the bino's majority of the time to glass. Then I use the spotter to get a closer look at game. The micro is awesome! You can set the tension and move it with the 10x42 easy and the pan is super smooth. The 65mm spotter is about the largest spotter you would want to run, but the head controls it very well. If you are in high winds it moves slightly, but adding weight to your center pole reduces this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I run the same optics's as you listed. I went with the micro pan head as I use the bino's majority of the time to glass. Then I use the spotter to get a closer look at game. The micro is awesome! You can set the tension and move it with the 10x42 easy and the pan is super smooth. The 65mm spotter is about the largest spotter you would want to run, but the head controls it very well. If you are in high winds it moves slightly, but adding weight to your center pole reduces this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you running a straight or angled spotter? The more I read about this stuff the more I get confused. If I read how nice Swaro's are I'm going to puke haha. Lots of guys on here say to skip the Vortex and wait for a used Swaro 65. I was going to pick up the Razor for $950 so I just don't think I can beat the price.

I ran a vortex razor spotter for 6 years or so. Have since upgraded. Vortex is good glass, nothing wrong with it. But there's definitely better. Swaro, Meopta, Leica, Zeiss, Kowa are in another league.
Buy the best glass you can afford. Personally, I would rather have exceptional glass on a decent tripod/head setup, than average glass on a high end tripod/head setup.

Angled vs straight is all preference. I have used both. My vortex was angled. My new European glass is straight. If you plan on using your binos on your tripod setup, go with straight. You'll thank yourself later. When switching between your binos and spotter on a tripod, a straight spotter is superior. You can stay on your target. If you're using angled you will find yourself readjusting to acquire the target you were just looking at through your binos.

Last edited:

Uncle6

Lil-Rokslider
If you are still leaning the 65 Razor route check out Sportsmans they are on sale for $800. Do a search of Vortex Razor and there is a thread and link to the sale.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a vortex razor spotter for 6 years or so. Have since upgraded. Vortex is good glass, nothing wrong with it. But there's definitely better. Swaro, Meopta, Leica, Zeiss, Kowa are in another league.
Buy the best glass you can afford. Personally, I would rather have exceptional glass on a decent tripod/head setup, than average glass on a high end tripod/head setup.

Angled vs straight is all preference. I have used both. My vortex was angled. My new European glass is straight. If you plan on using your binos on your tripod setup, go with straight. You'll thank yourself later. When switching between your binos and spotter on a tripod, a straight spotter is superior. You can stay on your target. If you're using angled you will find yourself readjusting to acquire the target you were just looking at through your binos.

Thanks for the response. Are you really happy you upgraded to the Euro Glass? I think if I could do it over again I would get the best binos available but I don't have any experience with the high end stuff so it's hard to say.