Choosing Between Vortex Razor 11-33x and 16-48x

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently trying to decide between the Vortex Razor 11-33x and the 16-48x spotting scope.

The 11-33x is about $700 and the Generation 1 16-48x is on sale for $800 ($870 with tax and delivery), so the price difference isn't too much to bear considering this should be my one and only spotter for the next several years.

My scenarios and hunting situation is this:

- I archery hunt elk in September in steep, thick terrain. I typically don't spend too much time behind glass during this season, but I have and there are situations in which I find it a useful way to spend part of the day. In this case, I can see a huge advantage to being able to slide that 11-33 in the pack and not have to debate about carrying it around too much.

- I'll rifle hunt bear in spring and fall. I'll hunt out of the truck and off my back. Lots more time behind glass here. Not looking for trophies, but it's nice to get a good look at what I'm covering ground to chase before I do it.

- I'll rifle hunt mule deer in November. Again out of the truck and off my back. Again, lots more time behind glass in steep, thick country. Again, not looking to score deer before I make a move, just wanting to positively id mature mule deer.

My first thoughts and situation steer me towards the 11-33 and think it'll be plenty. But the small price difference and relatively small weight penalty make me wonder if I'll regret not going just a little bit bigger and having some more power to play with. Especially since it will be my only spotter.

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

Ronb

WKR
I just upgraded to a 65mm this year. I had an ed 50, my buddy has the small vortex. Very similar hunting styles to yours. The smaller scopes left me wanting a little more. I say get the 65mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpctcb

WKR
Since you say you are not scoring deer or looking for trophies; just looking for mature animals, I would get the 11-33. Also, the 11-33 weighs 25oz while the 16-48 weighs 48oz.

BP

I have the 50mm and it does leave you wishing you had more if your glassing a longer ways or looking to really field judge an animal.

AlaskaEd

WKR
You can get much lighter 45-48x spotters than the vortex 65mm. You could even go 60x for a good bit less weight. The Kowa 600 series are very light and uses a 20-60 eyepiece. The soon to be released 500 series is the weight of the Vortex 50mm and has a 45x eyepiece. Opticron has a 50mm and 60mm that are lightweight as well.

No reason to go with the 50mm Vortex (or 65mm IMHO) when you can get much better capability, and arguably better quality, for a similar price.

ETA: just looked it up, the Kowa TSN-501 is 20-40x50mm and weighs... 14oz!!!!

Last edited:
I would go with the 65 given the range of glassing conditions you listed. Those small objective spotters will leave you wanting more most the time. My experience anyway.

I would go the 16x48 route, I looked real hard at this and the 20x60 options, in the end I did the 16x48 for one reason,,, field of view. One thing I did do is pick up the 30x fixed wide eye pc as well, I rarely use the variable eye pc now, the 30x gives you the reach and has the same field of view as the variable at 16x. Works real well paired with 12x binos on a tripod. Great set up. I do have the 20x60 as well now but only use that one when my buddy carries it or I'm using the mules or scouting.

geriggs

WKR
I'm in the same situation as you. I thought the 11x would be a good option based on how I hunt but for a few hundred more I thought the 16x was a steal. Plus for the mule deer hunt and antelope hunting it will work great. Great glass at great price. I just bought the 16x gen1 yesterday at cabelas. Last one they had.

Bwana

WKR
For your hunting style and intended use, the 11-33x50 is the best choice. Because of the weight difference alone, if it's left at home or camp because it's too heavy...then it's worthless. If you set up in an area for days/weeks and don't hike far, the larger scope would be worth the trouble. I have the straight 11-33 for distance hunts, and larger heavier scopes for easier locations...pick whats best for you.

For your hunting style and intended use, the 11-33x50 is the best choice. Because of the weight difference alone, if it's left at home or camp because it's too heavy...then it's worthless. If you set up in an area for days/weeks and don't hike far, the larger scope would be worth the trouble. I have the straight 11-33 for distance hunts, and larger heavier scopes for easier locations...pick whats best for you.

There's a reason there are only a few options when it comes to these small objective spotters, compared to the more popular objectives (65, 80, 85). For the most part, the ONLY guys that use these small objective spotters are ounce counters who live in the back country. Even then, most guys are utilizing 65mm scopes for this type of hunting.

Based on the fact that this will be the OP's only spotter, and his variation in applications, the 65 is a far better choice.

OP
K

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Cool, thanks guys. I just but the bullet and ordered the 16-48x as well as the Vanguard version of similar magnification. I'll take both to my local store where they have the 11-33 (and not the other two) and do some comparing.

dotman

WKR
Cool, thanks guys. I just but the bullet and ordered the 16-48x as well as the Vanguard version of similar magnification. I'll take both to my local store where they have the 11-33 (and not the other two) and do some comparing.

Great idea! Let us know which you decide on.

Bwana

WKR
There's a reason there are only a few options when it comes to these small objective spotters, compared to the more popular objectives (65, 80, 85). For the most part, the ONLY guys that use these small objective spotters are ounce counters who live in the back country. Even then, most guys are utilizing 65mm scopes for this type of hunting.

Based on the fact that this will be the OP's only spotter, and his variation in applications, the 65 is a far better choice.

I offered the OP my honest opinion, based on his needs and his choice of optics. I'm sorry if I offended your delicate feelings with my answer, I promise to be more aware of your sensitive needs in the future :rolleyes:

mcseal2

WKR
I'd be interested to hear what you decide on too.

I went through this and hopefully found the happy medium but at a much higher price. I'm waiting for the new Kowa 55mm spotter to arrive and hope it impresses me. I sold my Swaro 65mm and have for sale my Nikon ED50. I am going to the 55mm Kowa for the backpack and still have an ATS 80mm HD Swaro for the truck window or when I really want detail at low light.

If I was the OP for others who read this post I'd buy a used ED50, but I'd also buy a second big spotter. I think that the ED50 will show just as much as the 50mm Vortex at a cheaper price. I have been impressed with mine for what I use it for, and if the new Kowa wasn't coming out I'd be keeping it. For the elk hunt he describes first it's perfect. For the rest of what he describes it's a perfect spotter to have in your pack while running an 80mm or bigger spotter from the truck. I love having the little spotter in the pack all ready to grab and go at a moments notice, while having a big 80mm+ spotter on a window mount to use from a vehicle. Antelope hunting I started doing this and it became a staple tactic for me. I love packing the light spotter but like the big one when I'm not carrying it far. The 65mm is a good compromise, but it's a compromise on both ends. Having a good light spotter and great big spotter is what fits for me.

I offered the OP my honest opinion, based on his needs and his choice of optics. I'm sorry if I offended your delicate feelings with my answer, I promise to be more aware of your sensitive needs in the future :rolleyes:

Who said anything about feelings or being offended? I offered an opinion. Just like the rest of the people who answered his question.

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same situation as you. I bought the smaller one, then turned around the next year and sold it, and got the larger one. I'm really happy with the larger one now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, so I got both scopes in the mail yesterday (the Vanguard HD 15-45x and the 1st Gen Razor 18-48x) and can say that these are two completely different devices, and that I sincerely have a hard time even considering the Vanguard over the Razor, even with the Razor at more than 2x the price.

The Razor is better in every thing I've tested it in so far. Both in fit and finish and optical quality in low, mid and high light.

The Vanguard's focus wheels are clunky and rough, the eye cup adjustment is the clunky and rough, and the FOV is weird no matter how you adjust the eye cup. The contrast, brightness, focus and light gathering is much better on the Vortex as well. So far, the only real advantage to the Vanguard is saving $400, which if this is going to be my do-it-all spotter, a $400 savings isn't worth it to me.

I had a few friends do the same comparison and they both agreed on all counts.

This is not to say that the Vanguard is worthless, or that I'm sure a lot of people would find it a great value, I just don't find that it compares favorably to the Razor.

Plus, I know that if I run this Vortex over with my truck, I can walk into my local North 40 and they'll hand me a new one. I don't have that option with the Vanguard.

*It should be noted that on the amazon page for the Vanguard, the reviews seem to vary wildly. Perhaps some scopes are better than others?

Another thought is to get the larger scope for the truck, and just put a pair of 10x42's on a tripod for hiking in deep. If you aren't counting inches and just want to see if it's a mature buck, etc then you'll be able to tell with a good pair of binos on a tripod just as you would with the small spotter, and you'll save even more weight.

dotman

WKR
Wow, I think you got a lemon Vanguard as that wasn't my experience between the two but it is what it is and yup I'd go with the vortex from what you've experienced. I actually sold the Razor in favor of the Vanguard. In the end neither made me happy and I went swaro.