Tripod Head Questions

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I tried searching a bit but couldn't really find what I was looking for. I currently have a Vortex Summit SS tripod with the included pan head. It seems to work for my needs for the most part. It pans smooth, is easy to adjust and holds steady. The only issue I have with it is, when I am panning with my grid and see something of interest that I want to watch for a while (like the college age girls having a super soaker fight 1/2 mile down the road - j/k) I find it is hard to lock in without moving the viewing window quite a bit. It takes a lot of adjusting to get my field of view where I want it - and when it is cold out this is even harder.

So my question is, does a fancy head like say the Manfrotto befree fluid head fix this problem and lock down tight exactly where I am looking at that instant?

I think I prefer the pan head style but maybe a ball head is what I am looking for?

The head will hold a pair of 10x42 SCL (outdoorsman adapter), Maven S1A, and my A6000.

Bwana

WKR
In short, yes...and maybe no :)

I posted some info here, post 10 that may help you.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/58520-tripod-heads-700rc2-switch.html#post753076

The object in matching a head to scope, is NOT locking it down to pan/view...that means it's not matched up correctly. All scopes based on their objective lens size and brand, weigh and balance differently. Don't believe anyone that says this is "best" for your equipment...unless theirs is identical. If you intend to digiscope that adds another layer of variables, whether an SLR or smart phone...because it changes the balance point.