Help me pick between these two spotters please!!!!!!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a Swaro STS 65HD and wasn't all that impressed with it. Now I have the Meopta S2 and like it better, but I always find myself wanting even more power.

My one recommendation was going to be to get the angled over the straight.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Swaro STS 65HD and wasn't all that impressed with it. Now I have the Meopta S2 and like it better, but I always find myself wanting even more power.

My one recommendation was going to be to get the angled over the straight.

If I want to switch from binos to a spotter wouldn't a straight be easier? It seems that the straight vs. angled is about 50/50.

dotman

WKR
One thing that I'm thinking about when making my decision is how well a piece of glass holds it's value. If everything goes right then I'll never sell it BUT if I do decide to upgrade or simply change optics it's nice when your optic holds it's value. That's really why I'm torn. If the Kowa is lighter, cheaper, and the glass is just as good I don't see a reason to purchase the Swaro over the Kowa.....however, the Swaro might hold it's value better...Good thread so far.

That is a good point, I've seen a few Kowa for sale here over the years and they take a long time to sell and at a pretty good discount.

Ronb

WKR
Leica might be the best of the bunch optically. For me, A used swaro 65 hit won out in most categories. Performance, durability, weight, warranty, and resale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good stuff here guys! Just FYI, the 550 pre orders shipped today. Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You can get an ats 65hd used for around $1700 to $1800. Even less if you're patient. It will hold much of its value for years to come. None of the other optics, hold the same resale value. Fair or unfair. Just reality. I expect this Kowa to be a sweet scope, but it is a bit overpriced. Just check out what the birders are saying about it over on birdforum.net.

Ron, do you have a link to some of the threads on the Kowa on birdforum.net? Thanks

Whisky

WKR
If I want to switch from binos to a spotter wouldn't a straight be easier? It seems that the straight vs. angled is about 50/50.

You get use to an angled real quick. I was straight for MANY years and switched to angled and won't ever go back. Most of my time behind the spotter is from the ground. I do some pickup glassing with it, but it's not a big deal to rotate the scope body so it functions "similar" to a straight. The only way I'd run straight is if the majority of my glassing time was done from a pickup seat.

I can't comment to the Swaro vs Kowa as I've never looked through a Kowa.

Ronb

WKR
Kowa's new 50 mm scope - BirdForum

Keep in mind, the birder and the hunter have different priorities. For the average guy who can only afford one spotter, my opinion is a 65mm is the best all-rounder. I've had the smaller ones. Never had an 80plus. I'd be all over the 55kowa if money was no object. I have no doubt its gonna be sweet.

Last edited:
Kowa's new 50 mm scope - BirdForum

Keep in mind, the birder and the hunter have different priorities. For the average guy who can only afford one spotter, my opinion is a 65mm is the best all-rounder. I've had the smaller ones. Never had an 80plus. I'd be all over the 55kowa if money was no object. I have no doubt its gonna be sweet.

Dang, they were a little tough on the kowa.

Ronb

WKR
Got a remember 20 ounces means nothing to them.

Got a remember 20 ounces means nothing to them.

Looking at that FrankD's phonescope pics a poster said the Opticron outperformed the kowa but the Kowa looks better to me.. And FrankD seems to be opticron fanboy #1. I was settled on a mm4 60 until the 553 was released. Hard to pick one based off of internet reviews.

MM4 60:
Best price I've found - $859
Bigger FOV than 553
Rotating Collar
Interchangeable eyepieces

553:
Best price I've found - $1499
Roughly 6 ounces lighter
Possibly better optics?
Better build quality?

Broomd

WKR
You get use to an angled real quick. I was straight for MANY years and switched to angled and won't ever go back. Most of my time behind the spotter is from the ground. I do some pickup glassing with it, but it's not a big deal to rotate the scope body so it functions "similar" to a straight. The only way I'd run straight is if the majority of my glassing time was done from a pickup seat.
My story too, angled for me these days. Many, many reasons.