Help me pick between these two spotters please!!!!!!

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
I want to order a new spotter tomorrow, and Im going absolutely CRAZY!!!!!
I think I have narrowed it down to two spotters..........
the swaro sts 65mm
and the Kowa 553
For the life of me I can't make a decision between the two. I feel like an old lady going back and forth trying to make a decision about the latest tupperware offering.......

Maybe one of you guys will have a different spin on this that will help.
As of right now, I know the swaro will have a little better of an image, but is a little heavier as well. The little kowa would fit in the pack and not take up much space, and I would be able to run a lot smaller and lighter tripod with it as well. SO not only would I save weight on the scope, but the tripod as well. I am thinking I could probably run the Kowa on the vortex summit ssp tripod.
I mainly glass from a sitting position any ways.
I would also listen to opinions on other spotters that I may have overlooked.
SO what would you guys do???? lol

Based on the two you make and models you are deciding against the decision would be pretty easy. If you are looking for clarity and magnification you get the SWARO. If you are more concerned about weight you get the Kowa. I don't think the tripod between the two would really be that big of a difference.

If it were me I would go with the Swaro. I always buy the clearest glass I can get, anytime I haven't I have regretted it and ended up trading up in under a year.

LaHunter

WKR
I run the Swaro sts 65 mm and have not regretted it at all. I have no experience with the Kowa, so I can't compare the two, but in the article from the above post, 'Build Quality' is a category that Swaro led the pack. Build quality is something that you don't hear discussed much, but in hunting optics that get banged around some, it can be a important.
You may want to look at the Promaster 525 carbon fiber tripod or the Slik tripods. These are light wt , reasonably priced, and are stable.

Good luck with your decision

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Image and clarity is everything. Weight is a side affect. If a tripod won't hold the 48 oz the STS is, its too light and I wouldn't put any spotter on top of it.

I vote Swaro, but haven't used that Kowa. I love my ATS 65.

Edit to say- I've bought two budget spotters. Lost money on both spotters to dump them. I wish I went with a Swaro or Zeiss from the beginning.

I would pick the Swaro out of those two. Image quality > Weight. Always exceptions, maybe if you are an ounce counter who lives in the back country and absolutely won't sacrifice a few ounces for better optics.

OP

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
well I already have a new promaster 525 and a new berno s2 head, so I guess the swaro is the logical choice anyways. Now just gotta decide straight or angled. I have only used straight in the past, so I guess I should just stick with that..........Thanks Guys

AlaskaEd

WKR
The Kowa is not "budget" glass.

Everyone saying they'd pick image quality over weight does realize the Kowa 55X uses their flourite lens right? That's the same glass in their 88X series that gets rated as the #1 spotter for image quality. The only thing the Kowa gives up "numbers wise" is objective size (brightness) and zoom. What it gets is nearly half the weight and better (arguably) quality glass, for $500 less.

Disclaimer: I have never looked through a 55X (and neither has anyone here). I will be looking through one on the 18th after the UPS guy shows up, however.

Ronb

WKR
Its about 20oz lighter than the 65ats. Half the weight of the atx 65 or the ats 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2d781b8f46d65b1c454214a610932205.jpg

Last edited:

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider

Everyone saying they'd pick image quality over weight does realize the Kowa 55X uses their flourite lens right? That's the same glass in their 88X series that gets rated as the #1 spotter for image quality. The only thing the Kowa gives up "numbers wise" is objective size (brightness) and zoom. What it gets is nearly half the weight and better (arguably) quality glass, for $500 less.

Disclaimer: I have never looked through a 55X (and neither has anyone here). I will be looking through one on the 18th after the UPS guy shows up, however.

I've been talking to Rob at S&S Archery and based off of our discussions I'm leaning towards the Kowa. I'm interested in the exact scopes you are. I figured that will be my backpacking scope and in a few years I'll go for a larger spotter. From our conversation I gathered that the Kowa glass is just as good as the Swaro but with a smaller field of view...IF you go with the wide angle Swaro eye piece....which makes the Swaro even more expensive. I think I want the Swaro simply because it says Swaro on the side but for a straight spotter the Kowa is the winner for backpacking.

I have used and owned a handful of spotters in the last few years and the one thing I always was concerned with when buying one was the quality of the glass. I do believe this to be the number one deciding factor, but at a very, very close second is build quality. I never recognized how much I valued it until I ran a quality spotter. Slop in the magnification ring/ focus ring, the inability to operate under severe weather conditions. Hot or cold, wet or dry. I thought that's just how they were, again, until I ran a quality spotter. It may not matter to some, but I believe that even the best of glass is worthless if it is not built to withstand the rigors of hard hunting in realistic hunting type scenarios. I can surely appreciate and hold in high regard a quality build that will most definitely take care of you when you need it most. Lets face it, failures in the field suck! That's why I now run a swaro sts 65 with a 25-50W eyepiece. It is stunning. To me, it truly is an amazing tool to have on the mountain.

I have never run a kowa, I'm sure they are amazing as well but I do know you will never get me to part with my swaro.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone said the Kowa is budget glass. You're saying it's better glass for less money.

These small objective scopes appeal to specific types of people. Ounce counters, guys who want a lightweight option versus their bigger objective spotters, or depending on where guys hunt, the terrain doesn't require glassing at long distances.

In my experience, out west, these small objective scopes leave you wanting more. Especially if your trying to grid a canyon a mile away. I'd pick a 65, 80, or 85 all day over a 50/55...even if I'm 5 miles from my truck.

Everyone has different needs and opinions. Everyone hunts a little differently, and deems different things important. I think that's what is great about these forums, is all the different perspectives you receive. Makes you think about stuff you might not have otherwise.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I'm not trying to argue, I agree with you on the different strokes for different folks. I am concerned about weight, however, I also want great optical quality, hence my choice. The weight difference between the two is a day of food for me, so an extra day in the field for the same total weight.

I was just getting the impression that several posters did not know much, or anything, about the Kowa, and we're just saying get the Swaro because it's a Swaro.

WRO

WKR
Nothing beats objective size for resolution, the 65 will blow the doors off a 65 in equal quality glass. That's why the 95mm in the x series is blows the doors off the 65mm x series.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that I'm thinking about when making my decision is how well a piece of glass holds it's value. If everything goes right then I'll never sell it BUT if I do decide to upgrade or simply change optics it's nice when your optic holds it's value. That's really why I'm torn. If the Kowa is lighter, cheaper, and the glass is just as good I don't see a reason to purchase the Swaro over the Kowa.....however, the Swaro might hold it's value better...Good thread so far.

Dobermann

WKR
To the OP:

Where are you glassing?

What conditions?

What for - both critters and end use (you just filling the freezer or wanting to enter the trophy records)?

How far?

Ronb

WKR
You can get an ats 65hd used for around $1700 to $1800. Even less if you're patient. It will hold much of its value for years to come. None of the other optics, hold the same resale value. Fair or unfair. Just reality. I expect this Kowa to be a sweet scope, but it is a bit overpriced. Just check out what the birders are saying about it over on birdforum.net.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
You can get an ats 65hd used for around $1700 to $1800. Even less if you're patient. It will hold much of its value for years to come. None of the other optics, hold the same resale value. Fair or unfair. Just reality. I expect this Kowa to be a sweet scope, but it is a bit overpriced. Just check out what the birders are saying about it over on birdforum.net.

I'm looking for something to come up used. We'll see if I can hold out. If anyone has something they're looking to unload let me know.