Foam on tripod legs???

Had a buddy ask me why he has foam on two of his tripod legs. Didn't have an answer and thought I'd ask the group. Always left mine on and not sure why.

Thanks, Bill
molon labe, mrbill

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
To keep the hot or cold from aluminum polls off of your hands or gloves. If you are holding a leg to stabilize the tripod, the aluminum is freezing in bad cold. Or the black leg will get really hot in sun. The foam keeps your hands insulated.

Foam isn't needed on carbon fiber tripods. The carbon fiber doesn't hold and transfer heat and cold like aluminum.

I've always wondered this as well. So I should good to cut the foam off my carbon fiber tripod to save an ounce or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i was under the assumption is was for the guys who carried the tripod over a shoulder ? i chopped the foam off my carbon tripod..

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't know why it's there, you probably don't need it. Use a sharp razor blade to cut it off with a straight clean cut and keep the foam. If you ever go somewhere really hot or really cold you can put it back on with a couple wraps of tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fsuitw

FNG
On aluminum legs I imagine it helps dampen vibration (which seems related to the sound issue). For carbon fiber legs I would think the main benefit is to protect the carbon fiber itself since carbon fiber has a high tensile strength but gouging could compromise the structure and eventually lead to failure.