Switch to Rangefinding Binocs?

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I am the owner of a pair of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 binocs and a Sig Kilo 2000 rangefinder. Lately I have been considering moving to Rangefinding binocs to save pack space/weight and possibly upgrade optics quality in the process. But it sounds like the Vortex Fury leaves much to be desired, which was my logical upgrade, and I'm concerned I'm going to be sacrificing both optics quality and rangefinding ability in an effort to combine the two into one unit.

You folks are all way more experienced than I am in regards to product quality or whether I am better off sticking with separate units or moving to a combined rangefinder/binoc package. Should I hang tight with what I have?

Thanks,

mcseal2

WKR
I have the Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42 binos and consider them the best hunting purchase I've ever made. The glass is amazing to my eyes, as good as my Swaro SLC binos. I love being able to range instantly while glassing. My only regret is not owning them sooner.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will second one of the Best Buys I have made as well......makes things so easy and more efficient. Only downside if range finder stops working. My geovids sent to Germany last august so had to hunt without them last year. Almost cost me two bulls. Just found out from Leica sending me a new pair 👍👊

handwerk

WKR
Although I also have some swaro 8.5x42 SV's and love them, this year most times I'll be carrying my geovid HD -R 10x42's (closed bridged ) I've gone back and forth over the years , at times not owning geovids, but I sure do like having the combo unit and for now, have quit worrying about the what-if(s) regarding the RF failing since in over 10 years of using different geovids I've never had an issue. The glass is right on the heels of my SV's and to my 50 year old eyes I doubt I'll see any real world difference in the field not to mention I find it much easier to range animals with a bino vs. a small hand help RF.

OP
L

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
The Leica is actually what I was considering upgrading to. Maybe you guys can help me out further?

Will the Geovid 10x42 fit in an AGC Cub bino pack? At least I think that's the model pack I have.

I am having a hard time finding info on the different Geovid 10x42 models. I don't believe I need the ballistic calculations and is probably more than I want to spend, but I saw another thread where someone mentioned one model doesn't work for archery hunting? I am looking for a jack of all trades, one pair to take with me everywhere. Which model Geovid do I need?

Thank you

handwerk

WKR
I'd say you want the HD-R or older HD model, my HD-R goes down to 10 yards and doesn't have all the ballistic stuff. What power are you thinking about?

OP
L

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say you want the HD-R or older HD model, my HD-R goes down to 10 yards and doesn't have all the ballistic stuff. What power are you thinking about?

10 power, probably would consider 8 power if a deal came across. If the 10 power model doesn't fit in my AGC harness pack, then definitely the 8 power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
Had geovids and went back to separate. When helping some one else I thought they were great. When hunting on my own much prefer them sperate

OP
L

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Had geovids and went back to separate. When helping some one else I thought they were great. When hunting on my own much prefer them sperate

Thank you for that, that is what I'm afraid of

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42 binos and consider them the best hunting purchase I've ever made. The glass is amazing to my eyes, as good as my Swaro SLC binos. I love being able to range instantly while glassing. My only regret is not owning them sooner.

I agree 100 %. I'm on my 3rd generation of geovids. Mine are the 10 x 42 hd-b's. I absolutely love mine. There's a used pair on long range online magazine website for $2300. They are the newest generation in the 2200 10x42 geovid hd-b.

Corey

As a bowhunter, I did not like the button on the left side inn the Leica that I looked through. I checked out the Nikon laser force, I really liked them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

i thought about getting the swaros but have heard bad things, for now, i will stick to my leica range finder and swaro binos
ll

i thought about getting the swaros but have heard bad things, for now, i will stick to my leica range finder and swaro binos
ll
Please elaborate on the bad things you have heard about the Swaro. I sold my Zeiss BRF and bought the Swaro EL Range 2 years ago, and can't stop bragging on them. They are head and shoulders above the Zeiss. What problems have you heard about (other than the price)?

handwerk

WKR
The el ranges are great binos, I had a pair for awhile but I ran into a couple issues, perhaps unique to me or very few as most folks have been very happy with them.
To me the leicas range a bit quicker, but in my case the deal killer was I'm very much right eye dominant and with the swaro readout in the left barrel often I had a hard tome reading/seeing it. I sent them back to swaro 2x, as per usual their CS was great and checked everything they could but in the end we figured out it was me, not the binos that had the issue.

Thanks handwerk. I was aware of the left eye getting the readout, but I am left eye dominant, so it works out fine for me. If I had to say anything that I notice about mine, is the button is activated by the left finger instead of the right. The Zeiss had the button on the right side. I don't bow hunt so it is not really an issue for me.

Last edited:
I've got the Leica geovids. All in one binoculars, rangefinders and ballistics software. Saves time when figuring out a firing solution. Saves weight and bulk over carrying separate gear.

So far, been very happy with them.

Whisky

WKR
Thank you for that, that is what I'm afraid of

I also tried a combo out and didn't like it at all for archery hunting. For rifle hunting it would be great!! I went back to two units. For now.
Ideally I'd have a good combo for rifle and separate units for archery. But I'm not rich.

Akicita

WKR
I have used the Steiner M830 LRF extensively. I love the infinite adjustment auto focus for quick target acquisition and tracking and the Poro prizm design. I have limited use of the Steiner M1050 LRF and like it for all the same features but like the M830 LRF much better because of the size and weight.