SIG SAUER Whiskey5 Riflescope Review *Updated 12/23/17*

I noticed my sig kilo 2200 rangefinder has a bit of a blue tint to it compared to the leupolds which is a bit brighter...tracking and glass quality are the two things that pique my interest for this one. Also noticed the same thing with Vortex scopes, Leupolds glass at least to me seemed a bit brighter.

I've also notice my Sig Kilo 2000 has a very cool hue (blue tint). To the point where it is distracting after looking through my Swaro SLCs (neutral to warm hue). Does this Sig Whiskey have the cool hue of the rangefinders? How does its color compare to the Nightforce SHV (as I currently own an SHV). I'm very interested in this scope. Thanks!

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished up my review and you can read it here. Sig Sauer Whiskey 5 Riflescope Review

dreamingWest, I feel the glass in the Whiskey 5 is very comparable to my SHV scopes and it is very hard to discern a winner there. I don't notice a blue hue myself but maybe a little on the cool side.

Camofire has had the whiskey 3 and 4 (I think) occasionally up for really low prices. I assume these are last years model. Are you aware of any glass/internal changes on those to the model you tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Camofire has had the whiskey 3 and 4 (I think) occasionally up for really low prices. I assume these are last years model. Are you aware of any glass/internal changes on those to the model you tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know all the differences but the Whiskey 3 is not nearly the same scope as far as I know.

gelton

WKR
Awesome Justin! Been waiting for this one. BTW - enjoyed your recent podcast on Avery Adventures. Gonna have a look and report back here with questions.

Scottyboy

WKR
Outstanding review Justin!

I’ve been going back and forth between the SHV-Viper Gen 2-Whiskey 5 for my next scope. This write (and thread) are bringing up a lot of very valid points to be considered. Thank you again for this review

Samsydow

FNG
HI Justin have you had any experience with the zeiss HD5, Leupold VX5 or vortex razor HD LH in the same magnifications? If so how do they compare to the whisky?

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Think i will pick one of these up, just trying to pick the reticle. What do you think of the MOA reticle? Noticed in the article you mentioned you dialed each time. How friendly is it for holding over? If you were to do it again, would you stick with the MOA reticle or go for one of the duplex style options? Did you find the MOA reticle busy? Like the idea of having the option to dial or hold over, but also like one red dot to draw the eye.
Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks.
Ben

Think i will pick one of these up, just trying to pick the reticle. What do you think of the MOA reticle? Noticed in the article you mentioned you dialed each time. How friendly is it for holding over? If you were to do it again, would you stick with the MOA reticle or go for one of the duplex style options? Did you find the MOA reticle busy? Like the idea of having the option to dial or hold over, but also like one red dot to draw the eye.
Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks.
Ben

The MOA milling hunter reticle is nice. I really like mine. It is similar to the MOAR in a nightforce.

I am really enjoying my Whiskey5. I have the 3-15x44.

The MOA milling hunter reticle is nice. I really like mine. It is similar to the MOAR in a nightforce.

I am really enjoying my Whiskey5. I have the 3-15x44.

I take back my positive thoughts on this scope after today. Anyone had any issues with the zero stop system. I wrestled with mine for 4-5 hours today and every time I tried to set the zero stop I lost zero. It looks easy on paper, YouTube videos make it look like a breeze, but what a headache for me. I think I am going to end up sending it back....I’ve been playing with too many other scopes that are much more hassle free.

J8tnub

FNG
I take back my positive thoughts on this scope after today. Anyone had any issues with the zero stop system. I wrestled with mine for 4-5 hours today and every time I tried to set the zero stop I lost zero. It looks easy on paper, YouTube videos make it look like a breeze, but what a headache for me. I think I am going to end up sending it back....I’ve been playing with too many other scopes that are much more hassle free.

Call customer service and ask to talk to the optics team. They can get you squared away.

Call customer service and ask to talk to the optics team. They can get you squared away.

I just returned it.

I was probably too impatient with it, but after I lost zero 5-6 times by 3+ inches, one time I was even totally off paper, I decided it wasn’t for me. I have two travel hunts this year where I will be flying and will be at different elevations so I will need to check zero when I land. I kept thinking about the mess of having to try and set this zero stop system those two times where I A) wouldn’t have a lot of time and B) won’t have copious amounts of ammo with me.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Justin....Thanks for the review...Any updates on this scope?

Do you have any more detailed spec sheet on this.....Was looking for Parallax adjustment but con't find it on Sig's webpage. Maybe I missed it, but also the total internal adjustment for the scope.

Wapiti1

WKR
Bringing this one back up. This scope really fits one of my rifle builds. I know very little about the Sig scopes.

Still a recommended optic?

Jeremy

BluMtn

WKR
I have the whiskey 5 5-25x52's with the milling hunter recticle and I really like them. I don't dial so their recticle works when I have to shoot beyond 300 yards.