Leica Demo Binos - Would you buy a pair

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says, looking for advice on whether or not Demo Leica Bino's are worth considering? They only come with a 10 year warranty instead of the limited lifetime, would that be a deal breaker? Anyone have any experience with demo glass/warranty issues?

Thank you!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes. I've had various Leica for close to 20 years; never have had to use the warranty. They are WELL made.

Interesting thread. I've wondered what others thought about buying demo glass. I'd have no problem at all buying demos. I have a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 10x42 that I couldn't be happier with.

OP
C

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all very much for the replies. Sadly I waited too long and misssd out on the sale over at Eagle Optics (that stuff went fast!!) im hoping to snag some Ultravids at a similar price, but it is probably not going to happen. Damn my indecisive ways.

I have thousands of dollars worth of optics which I bought for hundreds of dollars by buying demos. The first time I use stuff, it will be "used" anyway, so what's the difference?

I have thousands of dollars worth of optics which I bought for hundreds of dollars by buying demos. The first time I use stuff, it will be "used" anyway, so what's the difference?

Warranty if needed. Leica has had a notoriously bad rap in the past regarding warranty work, that coupled with their price is why i think Swaro has taken a pretty commanding lead (IMO) in that segment of the optics world. which is unfortunate as I think Leica makes the best optics in the world.
I have a pair of Leica Trinovids that i bought on closeout and couldn't be more pleased with them, and have not had a single issue.

With that said I have heard that they are taking a much more active approach in regards to warranty service whether you are the original owner or not.

Ive never had a warranty issue with Leica, but have with Swaro (my father actually) and they were top notch to deal with.

OP
C

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
Warranty if needed. Leica has had a notoriously bad rap in the past regarding warranty work, that coupled with their price is why i think Swaro has taken a pretty commanding lead (IMO) in that segment of the optics world. which is unfortunate as I think Leica makes the best optics in the world.
I have a pair of Leica Trinovids that i bought on closeout and couldn't be more pleased with them, and have not had a single issue.

With that said I have heard that they are taking a much more active approach in regards to warranty service whether you are the original owner or not.

Ive never had a warranty issue with Leica, but have with Swaro (my father actually) and they were top notch to deal with.

My internet searches echoed your statements. It seems Leica really did themselves a disservice by providing horrible customer service for so many years. It seems they were able to get by on their outstanding optics alone...Obviously they heard the noise because I've heard things are different these days...

I found "new" (mfg 2014) EL 10x42 SV being liquidated on eBay for a price too good to pass up. Until I found them I was really kicking myself in the a$$ for missing out on the Ultravids via the Eagle Optics sale.

GKPrice

Banned
My internet searches echoed your statements. It seems Leica really did themselves a disservice by providing horrible customer service for so many years. It seems they were able to get by on their outstanding optics alone...Obviously they heard the noise because I've heard things are different these days...

I found "new" (mfg 2014) EL 10x42 SV being liquidated on eBay for a price too good to pass up. Until I found them I was really kicking myself in the a$$ for missing out on the Ultravids via the Eagle Optics sale.

"the INTERNET" has singlehandedly ruined more reputations that were solid than anything in history IMO - that old "one unhappy customer trumps 10 happy ones" is not even close to relevant anymore - Isn't that why ROKSLIDE is here ??

OP
C

C.Cass

Lil-Rokslider
"the INTERNET" has singlehandedly ruined more reputations that were solid than anything in history IMO - that old "one unhappy customer trumps 10 happy ones" is not even close to relevant anymore - Isn't that why ROKSLIDE is here ??

You aren't wrong. Rokslide and some other sites made me feel confident Leica's are just as good as Swaro's, if not better. Additionally I felt like their new and improved approach to warranty work would leave nothing to be desired. And honestly I probably wouldn't have even needed the warranty, sounds like Leicas are that good. Unfortunately I missed out on the Leica deals so I had to "settle" for some Swaros. I have a Leica rangefinder and it is hands down the best range finder I've ever owned. I think Leica's reputation is in tact, sounds like their CS Reputaion is better now too.

cooperjd

WKR
my leica's are demo's, and i would buy them again. saving 5-600 bucks is what allowed me to buy them in the first place. watch camofire and check cameralandny.com occasionally for demos

Did the internet ruin it? or did the company who's actions are now able to be broadcast to anyone with a computer have a hand in that rep.

Say what you will but Leica's warranty and customer service department was notoriously bad in the camera world, and in the optics sector as well. The internet didn't treat its customers terribly, refuse to fix second hand purchased items, or charge outrageous shipping fees and maintenance fees. Leica did that.