Which power scope...

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a topic that has been beaten to death more times than anything except maybe the 308 vs 30-06 discussion (30-06 ftw). I'm not new to scopes, but there are a lot of different terrains I have not hunted and my decisions will be based off of input from those people who have experience.

I'm being pragmatic and selling stuff to fund gear and experiences...AKA...I want to hunt Elk and in the future Mule deer. Basically, I'm going to go down to just my 270 with a 16.5" barrel and sell my 7mag and 336.

I have three scopes, two of which will be sold.

Swaro z5 5-25x52 with plex. FOV at 100 yards is 22.2 feet @ 5 power
Swaro z5 3.5-18x44 with a #4. FOV at 100 yards is 30 feet @ 3.5 power
Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with plex

Optically, my eyes do the best with the Z5 5-25 but the 3.5-18 is probably more versatile. Florida is dense, and my hunting here can be done with the 5-25 just fine. I've shot hogs as close as 20 yards with no issues. But, that feels a bit powerful for an "only scope". So far, I am leaning towards to keeping the 5-25 for it's light pick up, heavier plex and eye relief. Am I making a mistake here? It seems like the norm for hunting used to be a fixed 4 power, then it was a 3-9 and now the 4x12 is taking reign.

I use 3-9 for Hunting Elk and Deer here in colorado. I would not want a 5 power for the close/thick encounters that you can get especially hunting elk. Imagine needing to make a quick shot on an elk that just popped up 15 yards from you in thick timber and blow downs.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to one gun and one scope, use what will cover a broad range of *your* hunting. Keep the 3.5-18x if it's the most versatile for you.

My favorite scopes are in the 3-16 and 4-20 range and I do think they cover the broadest range of shooting and hunting for what I do and where I like to hunt. I have scopes that are no magnification, 1-4, 1-6, 2-10, 3-9, 3.5-10, 4-12, 3-16, 4-20, 5-25, 6-24, 8-32... and a few that I'm forgetting. The 3-16 and 4-20 are the most versatile *for my shooting and hunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Imagine needing to make a quick shot on an elk that just popped up 15 yards from you in thick timber and blow downs.

Those are tough even with a 3 power. The last bull I shot with a rifle 14 years ago, was at 25 yards in the thick timber. Even at 3 power I was looking back and forth between the scope and without the scope to verify where I was aiming. Was standing there thinking I should have a bow in my hands, so now I do.

For a .270 I'd keep the 3x10.

frankrb3

WKR
3-9 is a classic in my opinion. Go with that Z3 3-10x and keep it on the lowest power as you hunt. If the situation arises where 10x is appropriate then there will be time to spin up the magnification.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I was afraid I was not being logical enough. For the scopes I would keep, it's either the z5 5-25 or the z5 3.5-18 - I just strongly prefer the z5 over the z3. The eye relief box works much better for me.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Did I read correctly that this scope is going on a .270 with a 16.5" barrel? If that's the case I'd use the Z3 and keep the whole package light and compact.

If it was me though and I was going down to 1 combination it would be the 7mag with either of the Z5s.

I didn't look up the ballistics but I would think the 270 will really limit your effective range. You have to be prepared (and practiced) to take those 400 yd shots in my opinion (and give yourself the best possible chance of dropping the animal quickly).

With that gun, I would go 3x9 or at the most the 18x. I would keep the 338 or sell the .270 and you have the needs of rifles covered.

7mm and 338
270 and 338

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Did I read correctly that this scope is going on a .270 with a 16.5" barrel? If that's the case I'd use the Z3 and keep the whole package light and compact.

If it was me though and I was going down to 1 combination it would be the 7mag with either of the Z5s.

I didn't look up the ballistics but I would think the 270 will really limit your effective range. You have to be prepared (and practiced) to take those 400 yd shots in my opinion (and give yourself the best possible chance of dropping the animal quickly).

You read, correctly - I cut it down to 16.5" based off a lot of research. I'm amazed at how well it does, using RL22 I am getting 2820 fpps with a 140g accubond. It really did not suffer a ton - it's about where a 7x57 would be now. Using some ballistics charts for my hand load, it's right there with the 7mag. Setting both at a zero of 300 yards, and shooting to 400 yards there is 2" difference in both drop and windage (10mph) between the 270 and 7mag. The performance of the 270 is made me start considering selling the 7mag.

I like the short barrel because its manageable with the can on it. It's a lot easier to walk around with it totaling 24" than the 7mag which is effectively 32" with the can on it.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
With that gun, I would go 3x9 or at the most the 18x. I would keep the 338 or sell the .270 and you have the needs of rifles covered.

7mm and 338
270 and 338

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Think you might have misread, it's a 336 - marlin 336 in 35 remington

You're ballistically identical with a factory 7mm-08. As such it's best to keep shots inside 300 yards on an elk, probably. Maybe 400-450 on a deer. Not saying it won't kill past that. What I'm saying is you will never need the 25 power magnification, and as others have mentioned 5 power is a bit high for close range timber shots. Go with the 3.5-18x44 Z5. Much more versatile and you get all the benefits of the Z5 over the Z3.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
You're ballistically identical with a factory 7mm-08. As such it's best to keep shots inside 300 yards on an elk, probably. Maybe 400-450 on a deer. Not saying it won't kill past that. What I'm saying is you will never need the 25 power magnification, and as others have mentioned 5 power is a bit high for close range timber shots. Go with the 3.5-18x44 Z5. Much more versatile and you get all the benefits of the Z5 over the Z3.

Thanks! I doubt I'd want to take a shot much past 300 anyways, but I have no doubt the 270 or a 7mm-08 is good beyond that. I was never really attached to the zoom on the 5-25, just the optical clarify that my eyes get from it. I'm not sure if it's that big objective or what

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I doubt I'd want to take a shot much past 300 anyways,

It can be handy in elk and mule deer country... but not required, just handy. That 3.5-18 sounds nice to me. I'd keep the 7mag but that's your call.

Tangent: Can you use your can outside your home state? I don't know how the tax stamp deal works state to state.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
It can be handy in elk and mule deer country... but not required, just handy. That 3.5-18 sounds nice to me. I'd keep the 7mag but that's your call.

Tangent: Can you use your can outside your home state? I don't know how the tax stamp deal works state to state.

My tax stamp is good for any state that allows the ownership of a can. Some states will allow ownership, but not for the use of hunting. What tends to confuse people is the tax stamp for a short barrel rifle or shotgun, those require the owner to notify any states in which the NFA item is going to be in, even if you are only driving through the state.

OP
X

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider

Oops, got wrapped up in the question - why would you keep the 7mag?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor