Link to Suberb Swaro-Leica-Zeiss Detailed Review by Tobias Mennle- optic master

I posted this link in 2016 along with a few others that I thought you guys might enjoy seeing. This one by Tobias Mennle is the most detailed and informative comparative presentation of Alpha Binos to include color and brightness charts I found on-line in 2016 and prior when I spent months researching bird forums,etc with optic master reporting to help me pick a bino suiting my needs. We have a couple great optic master on this forum- namely Matt Cashell and Stephen B- and maybe others I don't know that have spent years in the field testing alpha bino's and others as well. This link has individual bino reviews as well as a 6 bino shootout comparison.

I am posting this link again to help someone select a binocular suiting his or her needs. These older threads are hard to find and I hope someone finds them useful. Some of you old timers might just have a good read. I may post some other links I have somewhere to complement this thread if I can find them. Let me know if anyone if anyone might have any interest?

If anyone has a bino review to complement this one please post it up. Things haven't changed much since 2015 only the price!!!

I hope you guys enjoy this reporting by Tobias.

Regards,

Vic LaVallee

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
thank you for the link. I am on a quest to find the binocular for me. I have had viper 10x42 hd, maven b2 9x45 and currently swarovski slc 10x42. I feel like I still want more glass. The mavens for the price is great glass. I just got the swarovski so I will give my self some to to get use to them. thank you

It's surprising that the reviewer didn't seem to like the SLC's. It seems like a lot of guys on rokslide like them and the guys at S and S definitely seem to like them and ranked them higher than the Leica Noctovids in their most recent review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I've yet to read a technical binocular review where the SLC ranked very highly against the top tier binos like the EL's or Ultravids. Swarovski never meant the SLC to be a top contender. They are meant to be a step down to fill that whole in the bino market. I wouldn't put the SLC above any of the other binos in the review but personally really like the SLC. They feel excellent in the hand, are a good compact size and have very solid glass. Swarovski does need to smooth out that sandpaper feeling focus wheel though. It's almost embarrassing how rough it is.

Those original gray body Zeiss SF were a bit of a letdown from the reviews I've read. It didn't take long for Zeiss to make some adjustments and kick out the black body SF. The couple times I've picked up the Zeiss HT's I was impressed. The HT are crazy bright and clear. Downside is that they are long and a bit heavy on the front end.

I wish someone in my area carried the Ultravids. I like a more compact bino and if the view is as good as the review says they may be just about perfect for me. I'd just need to find some demos so I could actually get closer to affording them.

Ultravid and ultravid + demos and discounts seem somewhat common these days with noctovids out there.

I will say that some of these technical analysis of glass from non hunters don't seem to always catch what is more important to hunters. One example is seeing in the shade, seems some optics snobs like the dark contrast where a hunter wants it to be bright as possible in the shadows.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I read this article over a year ago, and it convinced me to get the 8x42 Ultravid + binos. They are as brilliant as the reviews said. Not one bit of regret.