Kowa tsn 883 vs. Swarovski ATS 20-60x80

sneek-ee

WKR
Anyone have both or used both?
Any recommendations on which may be better and why??
Does kowa have a good warranty anyone has used?
Does the swaro give up much to the kowa at all?
Thanks

Fedster

FNG
To the best of my knowledge (birding community discussion), the Kowa is meant to be better optics, especially in terms of CA correction, BUT is less rugged.

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
Is it delicate and fragile, or just not as robust?
Do you have to baby the kowa or is it tough enough to withstand some trail and hunting abuse in a pack and in the field?

I own the Kowa tsn 773 (77mm obj) and have used Both the 60 and 80 mm swaros. I've never played with the 883. I love my 773 and chose it over the swaros. I couldn't tell any difference in the glass. The only thing I don't like about my Kowa is that it's sometimes too much glass!!! In terms of magnification anyway. I need a smaller compact one for back country hunting. I dred hauling the Kowa but the glass is soooo nice to have when you need it. It's great for digi-scoping. I'd say my Kowa is just as durable as any swaro. I do wish it had the rubberized coating like the swaro though. I've had mine almost 3 years and no need for warranty so far. I'm pretty hard on my gear. It rides in the back seat of my truck with no case. It's in a box on my arc right now waiting to go out for the evening to look for elk!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Kowa 88 is the better scope. It is plenty rugged, and is issued to military field units. The only minor downside is without rubber armoring, you can scratch the finish, it can make more noise against rocks/brush, and gets colder to the touch in cold weather. The ATS is still really good and light for a full size spotter.

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
Thanks Matt. That's what I was wondering, and I was hoping to hear your opinion on these.
Where would the meopta s2 rank with the ATS?

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
Did you ever try the 20-70 eyepiece? Or just the wide angle. Which would you recommend

dotman

WKR
I would go with the WA, I upgraded from the 20-60 to the 25-50 WA on my ATS 80 and it is the better eyepiece.

dotman

WKR
Oh and FYI... eagle optics has the 25-50 WA on sale for $520 since they are going out of business.

Jardo

WKR
I went with the Kowa 883 with the 25-60x wide angle lens. She's a beast but the glass is nearly perfect. My buddy has the ATS and he is always pushing me off my spotter to look through the Kowa. No rubber armor but she's rugged enough. Buy the protective case if your worried about scratching it. By far the best scope I've ever looked through and this ain't my first rodeo!