Zeiss V6 or Nightforce NXS

carter33

WKR
I am torn between a Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 or the proven Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 for a .300 win mag I am going to have built. It will be used primarily as a hunting rifle but also some for long range shooting. I intend to dial and use the ballistic reticles both depending on the situation. Right now I am only comfortable taking hunting shots out to about 400 but would like to extend that. Also I am pretty hard on scopes and am usually hunting in remote areas, should the scope fail it would likely seriously impact my hunt. Does anyone have first hand experience dialing with the V6 yet? The reviews so far seem encouraging particularly in regards to eye relief/eye box. How is the NXS for eye relief/eye box? Below are pros I see for both having never used them personally.

Zeiss V6: eye relief, lighter, better glass, greater range of magnification

NXS: illuminated reticle, tougher, better dial, proven(been around a while)

Thanks for any input.

I can't speak to the Zeiss but I have 2 NXS scopes I use on. .260 and a 300wm. I use both for hunting and LR shooting. They are both solid as a rock but I sure pay the price in terms of their weight. Ugh! Eye relief is plenty for me but the glass is not all that great. My Leupold VX6 and Swarovski scopes blow them away, optically. The illuminated reticle is great and something I personally prefer in a scope but their adjustment system is RETARDED! You have to open the parallax turret and turn a tiny screw with a screwdriver to adjust intensity. Like I said....retarded! Part of my job is predator control so I do a LOT of low light and night hunting and the ability to adjust the illumination level, while hunting, is a "must." I would assume the same would be true to the military. So, I don't understand why NF is the only company that makes this adjustment SO durn inconvenient!? They do have some terrific reticle, though, IMO. I prefer a simple MOA subtended reticle to a busy Christmas tree style reticle because I'm a hunter above all else; and the busy reticles, I find, annoying in the field. In truth, I'm sure I could get used to it if I devoted enough time to getting used to one. Normally, though, if I'm shooting far enough to need lots of compensation, I have enough time to dial elevation at least. Eliminating the need for a complex reticle.

I just finished a new custom 6.5cm that's a dual purpose hunting and NALRSA competition rifle that weighs about 7.5lbs without a scope and rings. In an effort to not overload it with glass I went with the new Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 because they finally incorporated the features that were always missing from their VX6 line: a true LR reticle (they're offering a simple moa subtended and a Christmas tree style) and really great turret dials. Their VX6 scopes have always tracked flawlessly for me but these new dials are easier to use. All of this with their terrific glass, great illumination system and a new built-in cant sensor that's visible through the scope, 30mm tube, tons of eye relief and 68moa of elevation adjustment in the dials in a package that weighs only 23.4oz!!! That's flat out amazing!

Swarovski and Zeiss may be able to deliver a SLIGHT improvement in glass quality but it will be very slight and neither offers a better all-around package suited to a combination of hunting and light competition. I'm a perfect durability tester because I'm a little clutzy (Lol!) and very rough on gear. I haven't had a lick of trouble with any of my NF NXS scopes OR my Leupold VX6 scopes.

It's not easy to find a scope that's really suitable for both hunting (where weight is a major factor for most hunters) and competition, where features are all-important and weight is not a concern and often an advantage. I had an unlimited optics budget this time and after an exhaustive search that included all the scopes you mentioned, I found the VX6 HD 4-24x52 w/ illuminated TMOA reticle to be the best package (and value) for a combo hunting/competition scope. Sorry for the long post and for recommending another scope....but hopefully it's useful. I already went through what you're going through so I thought I'd share. I'm probably going to be putting the same scope on my 300wm next year.....when I save up some more. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
Thanks for the information, I had considered and researched the vx6 (3-18) as well but became concerned as some people had said that repeatability of the elevation turret wasn't great. That being said none that I recall ever provided specific incidents of this. I will admit that after reading your post the vx6 is back on the table for me.

This will be my first high end scope and I want to get it right. Back to the google machine for more research.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The illuminated reticle is great and something I personally prefer in a scope but their adjustment system is RETARDED! You have to open the parallax turret and turn a tiny screw with a screwdriver to adjust intensity. Like I said....retarded! Part of my job is predator control so I do a LOT of low light and night hunting and the ability to adjust the illumination level, while hunting, is a "must." I would assume the same would be true to the military.

Illumination in high magnification scopes is not a requirment for the US military due to clip on night vision.

Carter,

I have used and seen used several dozen VX6's. All of them had a failure before 1,000. Some were a failure to return to zero, some incorrect adjustment, others loss of zero.

If you are wamting to shoot at range and you want durability-

Nightforce, SWFA SS, Bushnell LRHS and DMR/HDMR.

Illumination in high magnification scopes is not a requirment for the US military due to clip on night vision.

Carter,

I have used and seen used several dozen VX6's. All of them had a failure before 1,000. Some were a failure to return to zero, some incorrect adjustment, others loss of zero.

If you are wamting to shoot at range and you want durability-

Nightforce, SWFA SS, Bushnell LRHS and DMR/HDMR.

Good points and I'd agree with you if the OP's primary goal was LR shooting but he's wanting a hunting rifle that's capable of LR shooting. Besides, IF there's a failure there's a great warranty to take care of it. I shoot NF as well, but I'm not using one on a hunting rifle I need to carry into the back country. There's always trade-offs. There are always examples of failures - even with NF. Just saying.

bumping this thread. Since the OP, anyone have any time with the new Zeiss v6 line? Specifically the 3-18x50? Thanks!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form...Do you have any experience with the Zeiss V6?

Very limited and I would not feel comfortable saying one way or another. I will say that in talking with Zeiss it did not sound like they really improved the erector system or QC.....

brocksw

WKR
Very limited and I would not feel comfortable saying one way or another. I will say that in talking with Zeiss it did not sound like they really improved the erector system or QC.....

Form, this seems like it has potential to be the scope everyone wants if it scores well in repeatability. Although, it's disappointing if they didn't upgrade the erector system, and that would leave me to believe that maybe the tracking won't be anything to write home about. It will obviously not be as durable overall as a nightforce, but if it tracks reliably then it would be a great option for saving weight.

I've tried searching for V6 tracking tests and have not found anything.

Somebody has to get a couple of these on a track test and report.

I called zeiss and talked to some guy who fed me the Zeiss Kool-aide but could not comment confidently on particulars for components or testing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6.5x284

WKR
I have the Zeiss V6 3-18 and love it. It’s on my 6.5 GAP. I personally prefer it to a NXS. I have several ATACRS but am not a huge fan of the NXS for the price. The Zeiss is so new long term tests will be awhile, but I hunted hard with it this year it took two deer. I had a few good falls right on the scope packing out the second deer (rifle was in a gun bearer and fell on rifle and scope on a snow covered rock ridge a few times). We shot that afternoon out to 1380 yards and my turrets were spot on after the falls. I personally love the turret feel, but that’s highly subjective. Feels extremely similar to my ATACR turret for feel with better spacing for visibility of numbers. I prefer the 3-18 model for the 100+ MOA of elevation and the reduced power (18x) when the reticle is accurate vs a 25x. Overall I’m extremely happy. If you have specific questions ask away. It’ll take a few seasons to really know, but I’m hopeful they got this right based off the season I put it through. Glass is great and I could have taken shots well before and after legal light. You would have zero light issues in legal light.

01cff733f1ad6bda4a3c10e5065be379.jpg

codym

WKR
Bumping this thread. Anymore reviews on the V6? I will be trying this or the nightforce nxs on my 280 AI hunting rife. The most important thing to me is tracking and ability to hold zero. I know the nightforce will but it comes with a weight penalty and less optical quality compared to the v6. Anymore info would be great.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
About half the V6’s I’ve seen the last year have had issues. Some small issues, some failures. Almost no one that had them is using one anymore.

NF ATACR glass is is excellent and used ones can be found for what the V6 costs.

ericF

WKR
When you bump up to the ATACR cost, you are also in the same price range as the Swaro X5. As a dedicated hunting rifle, the X5 might check off some more boxes.

Any one have any newer reviews of the Zeiss V6? I really want to love this scope but there’s so few reviews it’s hard to justify the price. I have a mark 5 that I absolutely love but for hunting the first focal plane reticle practically disappears at anything under 8 power. In low light and timber that is a recipe for disaster. The v6 has everything I want, except the reticles I don’t necessarily love, but if it tracks reliably I think it would be worth it. I like the nxs reticles, turrets and toughness but the weight is a killer. Anyone with any new input would be greatly appreciated!! I’m looking at the 3-18 model with the zmoa2 reticle

When I had my rifle built last yr I was between an nxs and a v6.
I wanted to save weight but was very clear that I did not want to sacrifice reliability at all.
My builder assured me he had done extensive durability testing on the v6 line as he was not going to carry a product that would tarnish the reputation of his rifles.
So I went with the 3-18 V6.
I haven't had it out on a hunt yet or dropped it.
But I've been out in the desert dialing up several times. And have not had any issues.
Clicks and zero stop are all very nice and easy to set.

About half the V6’s I’ve seen the last year have had issues. Some small issues, some failures. Almost no one that had them is using one anymore.

NF ATACR glass is is excellent and used ones can be found for what the V6 costs.
Were those the 3-18 models or 5-30?
When I had my rifle built last yr I was between an nxs and a v6.
I wanted to save weight but was very clear that I did not want to sacrifice reliability at all.
My builder assured me he had done extensive durability testing on the v6 line as he was not going to carry a product that would tarnish the reputation of his rifles.
So I went with the 3-18 V6.
I haven't had it out on a hunt yet or dropped it.
But I've been out in the desert dialing up several times. And have not had any issues.
Clicks and zero stop are all very nice and easy to set.
That’s good to know. Which reticle did you choose? How do you like it?

That’s good to know. Which reticle did you choose? How do you like it?
[/QUOTE]

It the Zmoa 2. I think its great. I dont want a cluttered reticle tho.
For me wind is really a guess on the 1st shot at this point.
Beware on the 5-30 the power for the reticle to be correct is like 22 not max so you will physically have to rise from the rifle to check. That and for the weight you mise well go Nxs.

But 18 power is enough to shoot 1k for me.

I'm in Central Oregon you're close you can check it out.

Were those the 3-18 models or 5-30?