Review: Outdoor Vision Ridgetop™ Bino Harness & Sightline™ Rangefinder Pouch

UtahJimmy

WKR
You've spent your hard earned money on the best optics you can afford and now you're ready to take them out into the field. If you're like me, you want them fully protected from the elements you will expose them to as you chase your quarry. Keeping your glass free of debris and moisture can be a chore if you don't have the right tool for the job!

Bino harnesses come in a large array of styles; from minimalist 2 oz strings with clips to chest mounted backpacks. These options allow us to have as little or as much gear readily accessible at any point during the hunt.

LHXPXss.jpg

Enter the Outdoor Vision Ridgetop™ Bino Harness. The main body is made from a water-resistant material called SilentHyde™. There is padding sewn between the fabric for added protection and it truly is silent. A pull tab located on the top of the main compartment makes for easy, one-handed operation of getting your binos out quickly. The forward folding lid pivots about ¾ of the way up the body and locks into place via magnets concealed in the front panel. It has one zippered pocket on the front and two elastic mesh retention pockets on either side.

jhf6SWx.jpg

The Ridgetop’s design is a perfect blend of function and simplicity. The no-bulk layout allows you to keep a few items at the ready, but not be in the way. The harness system allows you to set the main compartment high and tight on your chest. The ¾” webbing with ITW buckles and sliders are solid. The back panel conforms well to the back and shoulders allowing for even pressure. This bodes well for all day comfort!

YM9RBhN.jpg

Personally, I prefer to have a few items on my chest rather than in my pockets: diaphragm calls, back-up windicator, chap stick, spare battery for RF, and maybe an open reed call. As such, I look for a harness that has at least one pocket with quick access to these items. I can easily fit my items into the front pocket and one side pocket, allowing for something extra in the other side if need be.

MN5ZYQg.jpg

After adding the items into the front/side pouch with 10x42 binos inside:

pLjuoCd.jpg

I also need quick access to my rangefinder, which eliminates the use of a zippered pocket. I cannot afford to be fumbling with a loud zipper with two hands to find my RF. It has to be a smooth 1-hand operation, always! The Sightline™ Rangefinder Pouch from Outdoor Vision addresses my needs perfectly. The no frills design does exactly what it should; it holds your rangefinder in place and give easy access. The retention system locks closed with a magnet and locks open with a magnet. It is rigid enough to keep its shape, and fits my Vortex Ranger 1500 perfectly.

njLZk8r.jpg

ZnMBFPm.jpg

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Initial impressions

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

I was able to get 2 and half days of wear this past weekend. The harness fits really well. I had it pretty snug for my 3.6 mile hike in, and once I got to camp I had to loosen it up so I could fit it over all my warm clothing. Adjustments are simple and can easily be made on the fly.

The fabric used is killer. It is soft to the touch but appears to be rugged and durable. I dribbled a little water on it to see how it would react and what didn't repel off, beaded up.

D5Cshas.jpg

This weekend I intend to take it out in some inclement weather so I can test it with and without the included rain cover.

BMbKhOH.jpg

The lid operation is QUIET! I've used magnet systems that tend to snap closed, this system does not. The way that you pivot the lid over the eyecups, begins to engage the magnets. Then you slide them into the secure location. This is truely a single handed operation as well; just grab the tab and flip forward!

TGfLLDJ.jpg

I did make a minor modification right out of the box on the RF pouch. The clip for the included tether did not have a tight fit, causing it to rattle. This annoyed me so I replaced it with a small piece of Lawson line. I probably could have just thrown some electrical tape on it (which I may do) but the string felt like an adequate replacement. I like how the lanyard is silent and light.

As far as attaching the Sightline pouch, I threaded the webbing through the attachment points on the back. This sandwiched the pouch between the slider and buckle. This way it will always be in the same location. I'd like to have it a little more snug to the main compartment, but doing that (threading the buckle through) will allow it to slide around.

z4qS1wb.jpg

The weight of each unit: the harness itself weighs in at 9.96 oz and the pouch w/ lanyard is 2.44 oz.

I did some downhill hustling on my way out Sunday and noticed the lid would bounce a little. Everything stays put but it is just an observation I made. I tried to jump around with the RF pouch open, and my Ranger didn't budge!

SIDE NOTE: In the pictures you'll notice the bino tethers are black with 1" slides. Those are not the included ones. They are off a different system. Geoffrey was able to rush out a harness (so I could get this review going!) and had to send the tethers separately. I removed the included smaller tan slides to make room. Customer service has been great so far!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good job on your coverage. I subscribed for any updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
Great review so far Jimmy. Do you find the back retention strap to be hot or sweat causing?

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Great review so far Jimmy. Do you find the back retention strap to be hot or sweat causing?

It was not warm this past weekend in the WY range. I barely broke a sweat the entire trip because of the nice temps so I don't think I can properly report on this yet.

Sunday evenings hike out I was warm, but when I got to the truck my base layer top was dry on the back.

How does the X in the middle of your back feel? My FHF has simple straps and this feature has kept me away from harnesses cuz I don't wanna sweat. We bow hunters can't be too smelly, winds change.

willidru

WKR
How does the X in the middle of your back feel? My FHF has simple straps and this feature has kept me away from harnesses cuz I don't wanna sweat. We bow hunters can't be too smelly, winds change.

I liked the comfort of the x. No problem with sweating, but I don't sweat a lot. Temp range this weekend was 30-65.

willidru

WKR
Utah Jimmy great write up. What size harness and what binos did you run? I just spent 3 days and just under 19 miles in the harness this weekend. I'll share some thoughts and photos.

I run Swaro EL 10x42 so OV say you need the XL harness. First impression is that the harness is built to last. Construction appears to be durable and well put together (time will tell), but makes sense when you see the made in USA tag. I thought is was very comfortable, once I fit it, I didn't have to adjust and I liked the X back. The fabric "SilentHyde" was very quiet and the one handed functionality was good. There was plenty of padding on the harness and a more rigid piece on the backside against my chest. I thought it may be uncomfortable, but I didn't notice it at all when I was hunting. I liked the front pocket, it had enough room to easily fit my license, extra shells, chap stick and a tall outdoorsman bino adapter.

Pros:
- Well made
- Quiet
- Comfortable
- Easy to use with one hand
- Zippers and clips were easy to use
- Full coverage protection on all sides
- Integrated rain cover (didn't use it in rain but pulled it out and it was easy to use and out of the way)

Cons:
- A little bulky with the XL
- Extra room with only 10x42 in the XL (although binos didn't move around much)
- Velcro keepers for webbing are separate from the webbing so I'm pretty sure these will be lost soon

View attachment 58188OV2.jpg

Last edited:

willidru

WKR
With the extra room in the top from having to use the XL size, I utilized space for watch cap
OV7.jpg

Clips had convenient attachment holes to loop range finder and spudz
OV6.jpg

OV5.jpg

These 2 show the size relationship between the XL and the 10x42's
OV4.jpg

OV3.jpg

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR

It feels great. Almost don't notice it. The shoulder straps sit right under my pack straps so no different sweat pattern there. I'll get some pics up with the pack on.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
What size harness and what binos did you run?

I'm using the Vortex Viper HD 10x42
I'm not sure what size I got as I just told Geoffrey which optics I had. Based on the weight though, I'd say I got the medium.

Squirrels

WKR
Anyone know of a discount code for these. Pm me if you have one or know if one.

zacha79

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you guys had an issue with the cover closing itself when the bino's are removed? i haven't taken this harness in the field yet but was shooting with it on last night. while holding my bow, i'd take my bino's out and the cover would snap close. it was kind of a pain getting the cover open and my bino's in while holding a bow and the bino's. I'm hoping with more use, it will loosen up a bit and not want to close so easily

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Have any of you guys had an issue with the cover closing itself when the bino's are removed? i haven't taken this harness in the field yet but was shooting with it on last night. while holding my bow, i'd take my bino's out and the cover would snap close. it was kind of a pain getting the cover open and my bino's in while holding a bow and the bino's. I'm hoping with more use, it will loosen up a bit and not want to close so easily
Can't say that I have had that issue yet. The lid should 'lock' in the open position with the magnet in the front.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zacha79

Lil-Rokslider
I'll have to check that when i get home tonight, i don't remember it ever holding open like there was a magnet there

treillw

WKR
Are people still liking this harness? Thinking of getting one for some Swaro EL 10x42s. I thought I read somewhere that they changed their sizes.
Swaro 10x42s no longer need to go into an XL, but rather fit in a L. Any other comments from experiences over the past few weeks?

Thanks for the write-up!

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Are people still liking this harness? Thinking of getting one for some Swaro EL 10x42s. I thought I read somewhere that they changed their sizes.
Swaro 10x42s no longer need to go into an XL, but rather fit in a L. Any other comments from experiences over the past few weeks?

Thanks for the write-up!
I'm definitely a fan. It's very comfy and quiet.

My only complaint is the magnets aren't strong enough for violent/abrupt movements i.e. Running. I think a simple retention device that connects to the pull tab on the top would easily solve this issue, but it's definitely not a deal breaker.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

willidru

WKR

Thanks for the write-up!

I just got back from 10 day trip 7 days of hunting and loved it. The L fit my Swaro EL 10x42 very nicely. Will write up more later.