Swaro

nrh6.7

WKR
So I just received my order from Eagle Optics yesterday. Took advantage of their 20% off going out of business sale and picked up the 8x32 and 12x50 ELs. Was a big purchase but saved over $1k off of retail and I won't ever need another pair of binos.

Just got off the phone with The Outdoorsmans and paid for two studs, a tall mount and Micro pan head. Been an expensive week, but I still need a tripod.

Recently had an Outdoorsmans compact medium that I sold with my spotter and want to try and stay around the $250-300 mark on the new buy. Currently leaning towards the Promaster XC525C but wanted to ask the group if there are any others worth looking at. I am mostly concerned about stability and weight, so 2lbs is my max for the legs.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
Buy once, cry once?

Gitzo GT0532 w/ OD head. Super smooth and solid.

01c437c13b732c448a6a3b2f5c8da81c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Lots of love for the 634. Checked it out and I like it, but not sure I like it more than the xc525c. I do like that you can glass standing with both, and I like that the 634 has one less leg section maybe making it more stable. But I also like the removable leg on the Promaster, and they're almost the same weight. The promaster is over two inches shorter when folded. Am I missing anything? Any other tripods to look at?

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Well, I'm still crying over the ELs! : ) That's a nice tripod for sure, but more weight and cash than I want to spend right now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Buy once, cry once?

Gitzo GT0532 w/ OD head. Super smooth and solid.

01c437c13b732c448a6a3b2f5c8da81c.jpg

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Actually found out about the sale here on Rokslide in the gear deals section. They still have some Zeiss and Leica binos available though, but the Swaros are all gone.

Good find. I never could find any Swarovski binos on that site.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Actually found out about the sale here on Rokslide in the gear deals section. They still have some Zeiss and Leica binos available though, but the Swaros are all gone.

I believe I saw it listed here, too. Good find.

Daniel_M

WKR
Well, I'm still crying over the ELs! : ) That's a nice tripod for sure, but more weight and cash than I want to spend right now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I hear you there. Luckily after some smart thinking on my part, and 2 trips for the wife..my annual budget was set dollar for dollar matching her expenses. So I had room for a few upgrades.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Oh, I pray my wife doesn't want to match dollar for dollar!!! :)

I hear you there. Luckily after some smart thinking on my part, and 2 trips for the wife..my annual budget was set dollar for dollar matching her expenses. So I had room for a few upgrades.

wildcat33

WKR
IMG_5016.jpg

Slik has worked great for me so far. I've heard good reports on the promaster as well, probably cant go wrong with either (sorry bout the sideways photo, cant seem to rotate it).

I just went through this a couple weeks ago, deciding between the Slik 634 and Promaster XC525C. I went with the Promaster through CameralandNY. I got a good deal through them and then sold the head that comes with it and ended up just under $200 invested, which was significantly less than I could get the 634 for. Either one will make you happy I imagine.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
So the ability to glass while standing is making this a hard decision. I'm 6' with boots on and will be using the micro panhead and tall bino adapter from Outdoorsmans. I will only be looking through binos and I'm worried the Promaster won't give me enough height. I've read some other threads that seem to confirm my doubts, but say looking through an angled scope is fine, which I won't be.

Anyone using what I'm after, my height using the xc525c to stand and glass???

twall13

WKR
I'm 6'1" and use the Promaster with the tall Outdoorsman adapter on mine. I have a different head (ball head) so I'm not sure if that changes the height much but I'd say you are right on the edge for comfortable standing and glassing. I rarely glass standing so for the limited use I get that way it's never caused any neck strain or anything. If I was going to glass for a long session it might be a problem but if I'm doing a long glassing session I want to sit and get comfortable anyway. For shorter sessions, even if I'm looking uphill, I can spread the stance of my legs out a bit and glass just fine. I do love the weight, compact size, etc. It's been pretty durable for me too. Earlier this summer I accidentally knocked it off about a 20' rock ledge (no optics attached thankfully). It bounced down the rocks and ended up in about 6' of water. It took me about 15 minutes to get down to it and go swimming to recover it. I dried it out and, aside from a few scratches, it still works perfectly.

I went with the Promaster over the Slik's because I liked how compact it folds up while still being usable to me while standing (I also use it for photography). It may not be the absolute most optimal height for standing, but it's close and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me. If I didn't use it for photography I'd probably go with the shorter Slik tripod S&S sells. In the end you have to decide which appeals to you more. Taller extended height or more compact when folded up. Either one is going to be plenty stable and solid, IMO.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Great response and just what I was looking for. I also like the promaster from a build quality (no plastic), monopod capability and compact size when folded. You're right...I just need to decide whether I'll stand enough for it to be a possible problem.

I did just talk to a promaster dealer to see if an extension is available to raise the height, but they didn't know.

I'm 6'1" and use the Promaster with the tall Outdoorsman adapter on mine. I have a different head (ball head) so I'm not sure if that changes the height much but I'd say you are right on the edge for comfortable standing and glassing. I rarely glass standing so for the limited use I get that way it's never caused any neck strain or anything. If I was going to glass for a long session it might be a problem but if I'm doing a long glassing session I want to sit and get comfortable anyway. For shorter sessions, even if I'm looking uphill, I can spread the stance of my legs out a bit and glass just fine. I do love the weight, compact size, etc. It's been pretty durable for me too. Earlier this summer I accidentally knocked it off about a 20' rock ledge (no optics attached thankfully). It bounced down the rocks and ended up in about 6' of water. It took me about 15 minutes to get down to it and go swimming to recover it. I dried it out and, aside from a few scratches, it still works perfectly.

I went with the Promaster over the Slik's because I liked how compact it folds up while still being usable to me while standing (I also use it for photography). It may not be the absolute most optimal height for standing, but it's close and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for me. If I didn't use it for photography I'd probably go with the shorter Slik tripod S&S sells. In the end you have to decide which appeals to you more. Taller extended height or more compact when folded up. Either one is going to be plenty stable and solid, IMO.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Getting ready to take the new EL's to the post office for a trip to Arizona to get some plastic surgery. New and improved in a couple weeks.

View attachment 57943

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_154526.jpg
    IMG_20170922_154526.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 45