First Spotter

RedRidge

WKR
So I have spent the last few days searching most of the older threads on spotting scopes and I think I want to go ahead a get my first spotter. I already have some vortex 10x42s with SLIK tripod that I use and have no complaints, but would like to try a spotting scope. Mostly a due it all scope for deer, elk, waterfowl scouting, range sessions, phoneskope, and a moose hunt I have coming up next September. Due to my work schedule I would probably use it more for waterfowl scouting and range sessions. I make it out west maybe once a year if I play my cards right for elk.

What are your opinions on a decent spotting scope for the above tasks? Budget would probably be in the 500-800 range. Those out there who are on their first or second spotter, how do you feel about straight versus angled?
Thanks

-Connor

WestNE

WKR
I've got a Kowa 601 with eyepiece in the classifieds right now. Take a look at some reviews and I'd make you a deal if interested.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'd keep saving it was me. When your budget hits the $1,600-1,800 mark, watch the classifieds for a Swarovski ATS or STS 65.

I've owned two spotters before I went to the Green Koolaid. I lost money on both to dump them and get the Swaro. Going any cheaper on a spotting scope leaves a lot to be desired.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I'd buy that Kowa 601 in the classifieds and then save for a higher end Kowa, Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, or Meopta if you want a better spotter later. You can always sell if again, possibly without a loss, if you take good care of it.

Angled vs straight is total personal preference. I like angled, and feel it's the best if you use that one scope for everything.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
Thanks for responses. WestNE I will send you a pm.

Anybody else have an opinion or anything to add?

dotman

WKR
I would get that Kowa 601, great spotter and good unit to see if a spotter really is for you.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you have a few minutes to chat please feel free to give us a call. We can discuss different options with you that fall in your price range (both straight and angled, once we figure what would be best for your needs) .
Our pleasure to discuss it with you

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Meopta S2 82HD with the wide angle eye piece and have been happy, along with everyone who looks through it seems impressed.

Why not save up your money and get the Swarovski? You have gone this long without one. You will most likely not NEED one for your moose hunt. I spent a bit of money a couple of times buying spotters that I was not completely happy with. Now I am a save the money and buy the good stuff once kind of guy. Also the Vortex Razor spotters are pretty good.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
Good points Gaelichunter. Taking a spotter on the moose hunt would probably just be to take some cool pictures of whatever I find out there. Thanks for the replies all.