Re-review Swaro' 8x42 EL Range

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We've been trying to bring up some of our old reviews, and give some updates on the gear.

The problem with some of our reviews is we only get to use the gear a few months and then write the review, but that rarely allows us to comment on durability, beyond what we perceive is going to happen. So watch for a few of these "re-review"!threads here and there.

In 2014, I started using the Swaro 8x42 EL Range. I published this review a few months later
Swarovski EL 8x42 Range Binocular Review - Rokslide

I truly love this optic, and I've packed it up to 60 days every season since, for probably about 200 days of use. Here are some of the high points:

1) no scratches on lenses
c4ff118cdb1338c0f7f634e430a7142c.jpg

1c87e851562aa3c352704598a8be9d1d.jpg

f574f45ea1ad00c358863257c207ba7d.jpg

2) no excessive wear which is notable as I'm not a bino-harness user
d0d364e2e586f3affefe0d9e030c9392.jpg

The missing plastic decal on the axle is my fault. I stuck a screwdriver underneath it thinking it was a pressfit and popped it out and broke the tabs, just have never sent it back for repair as it's cosmetic.
3) the comfy neck harness is holding together well

Low points:
1) it seems that sometimes, like 5-10% of the time, when I hit the range button, I just get the blank dashes and no yardage. I have to range something in the distance to "reset" and then it's fine. I don't remember that happening during that initial review. Other than that, rangefinder gives readings to 1200 yards just fine
2) my right eyepiece rubber protector came off during the archery hunt this year. Never saw it come off, just noticed it was gone one day. Swarovski replaced it immediately at no charge.
d61fadf0bfeb3074e1892cbd98c44f71.jpg

Really happy with these and considering what I could get for resale value on them right now, they have been a good investment for the performance. I think I'll be using these quite a while longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

handwerk

WKR
Thanks for the follow up report Robby, they sure seem like they've been a great tool for you. Good glass is such a asset when it comes to western hunting.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Robbie, question for you. Why would you choose the 8 x 42 over the 10 x 42 if there is no weight difference?

HookUp

WKR
After reading Robby's book I ordered a pair of the EL Range 8x42. Did some test glassing and sold them. For the open areas I hunt the 8x to me didn't give enough zoom and I felt better served by the lighter smaller 10x42 SLC with separate range finder. Glass hugely comes down to the areas you hunt and what works best for each hunter. I'm glad I tried them and if I hunted more trees and did more still hunting they would probably be a better fit.