Swaro sts 80 vs kowa tsn 77

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
These are both excellent scopes. on the Kowa make sure you're using the TE-11WZ eyepiece, not the TE-9Z as there is a big optical quality difference.
Whether or not the visual difference (technical specs mean nothing in the real world of a user) will be determined by your own eyesight. I know that little subtle differences that I could see when I was in my 30's and even my 40's I do not really pick up on now in my mid-50's.
You will not go wrong with either as they are both top quality units. Please feel free to give a call if you'd like to talk optics

I've owned/used both. I kept the Kowa. Either are great scopes but you can get the Kowa for about $500 less and the glass is just as good if not slightly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have experience with both of these? How do they compare?

Live2hunt custom shelters

It will be personal preference. both optically are excellent.
swaro has the name recognition if that matters, will be easier to sell and probably hold its value well. helical focus, armored body as well

Kowa I feel is optically as good if not a touch better, but i enjoy the kowa eyepiece much more then the swaro WA. Coarse and fine focus nobs, i prefer this for digiscoping, but again personal preference. doesn't have body armor so it can get scratched up if you don't baby it.

swaro warranty is legendary, Ive never used kowas, and honestly I cant tell you if they are good or bad. But now that more US places are authorized dealers I bet you get taken care of.

kowa 77 with 25-60: $2,070
Swaro 80 with 20-60: $2680
Swaro 80 with 25-50: $2815

If your willing to spend 2800 then id suggest the 88, and never worry about if you have the best or not

Kowa 88 with 25-60: $ 2835

Last edited:
These are comparable scopes optically. The Kowa has the better WA eyepiece available.

I keep hearing that the Kowa has a better eye piece. I know it has HD glass in the eye piece, but is there anything else that makes it better? Better FOV, more comfortable to use? Thanks

I keep hearing that the Kowa has a better eye piece. I know it has HD glass in the eye piece, but is there anything else that makes it better? Better FOV, more comfortable to use? Thanks

Easier to look through for me. I honestly couldn't tell you if it has better or worse FOV at the same power and distances but its plenty wide when ive used it. Im sure matt can answer that, as im not nearly as skilled or as technical as he is. I just look through stuff and go off my feelings.
I do try to look through more then 1 of a certain product though that way it cuts down on the chances of that scope being a lemon or a ringer. Ive looked through ALOT of swaro 80 Hd's but only 2 Kowas. so keep that in mind as well.

the swaro 25-50 when I use it I have to pay attention and make sure im aligned where i need to be, again not a huge issue but just something I noticed that I didn't notice when using the kowa.

I wouldn't be bummed if i could only use the swaro for the rest of my life either. But a couple little things make the Kowa more enjoyable to use for me.