Ball Head Recommendation

Gonewest

WKR
What's a good ball dead to get? I want to put together a tripod/head combo to use for my spotter and attach to my rifle roe a shooting rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I've really liked my Sirui K-10x. It has a separate built in panner and it's pretty smooth. The ball head is also plenty string for spotters and digiscoping, etc. I haven't played around with a ton of ball heads but I'd definitely buy this one again. It was an improvement over the stock head that came with my Promaster xc525c tripod.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hello,
This is Jeff from Camera Land.
I would be happy to help you out.
If you can take a few moments of your time, give me a call, I have a few questions that will help pick out the best ball head for your needs.

Thanks,

Jeff Mantell
Camera Land
516-217-1000
View attachment 58146

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
I’ll give you a call tomorrow!

There's a BIG difference between ball heads for rifles and those suitable for traditional optics. For a rifle you need a ball with a much higher weight rating and, from experience, I'll advise you to get something with a VERY heavy weight rating. I ended up with the Sunwayfoto XB-52DL that has a weight rating of something like 55lbs and is a pretty low profile as they come. The reason the high weight rating is important is that the ball moves more smoothly under the load of a rifle when the weight is WAY under the max rating. Most optic oriented balls have wait ratings of 10-15lbs and then you're attaching a 3lb optic. You want the same rough ratio for your rifle IF you want to be able to pan/tilt your rifle in a smooth manner and not break your ball head - which will happen, of course, at the WORST possible time.

There's a LOT to building a good tripod system for a rifle; not to mention, all that goes into shooting well from a tripod. I blew some money unnecessarily by making poor choices without knowing the peculiarities to rifle capable systems. I bought great products just not for shooting a rifle from. I'd go do some searching over on Snipers Hide. There's a ton of information on there regarding ball heads, tripods and attachment methods; as well as techniques for shooting from tripods.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Thanks for sharing! Do you like the tripod system for your rifle?