Cabela's Krotos 15-45x65mm Review

Apex

FNG
I have seen several posts with questions on Cabela’s Krotos Spotting Scopes and since I have settled on it for a spotter, I thought I would share my findings and why. My search for a spotter started after last hunting season when a buddy remembered that I still had his Swarovski AT80 and wanted it back, very inconvenient for me as I really like having a Swaro for free. I would love to go buy an alpha glass type of spotter. Unfortunately, with starting a new business venture there is a disparity between what I want to buy and what I can afford.

So, when it came to a spotting scopes I know that I will end up with two, one for packing and one for long distance scouting. But, until I have more disposable income available the smaller spotter for packing is what I wanted to look for this year. I wanted something that wouldn’t take up much room in a pack, was reasonably lite, had good optical quality and cost <$1000. I had narrowed my search down to the Vortex Razor, and had tested to new one and the old one. I had found the older one with the dual focus more to my liking, optically I really couldn’t tell the difference and it was lower cost. Cabela’s had a good deal on the older version and I had traveled into Oregon to buy two, one for me and another for a friend. While there I started looking at the Krotos 15-45x65mm and was intrigued by the pricing and in store optical quality. Since I was going scouting the following week, and knowing Cabela’s return policy I bought one of each, if I didn’t like the Krotos I would return it and buy another Razor.

The following week I was set up on a ridge overlooking 5 alfalfa pivots looking for what mule deer would come in, and had both scopes set up on Magnus tripods. I am a little biased toward the Razor because of the dual focus knobs and believe that it is easier and faster to refine the focus than the collar focus found on most of the newer spotters. Both scopes preformed very well and I had no trouble using either, despite my preference for the dual focus it really wasn’t an issue when glassing at the longer distances. Both had some optical aberrations and contrast problems, mostly chromatic and in the ability to pick out objects in shadow. The Razor did better for the chromatic aberration at full power, the Krotos wasn’t bad, but the color ‘blur’ was more noticeable in the last ~20% of field of view.

The image quality on both was good enough I had a hard time choosing a favorite. Lines were crisp, focus sharp and colors were vibrant. As the sun set I really couldn’t tell a difference in transmitted light, both seem to have high performance anti-reflection coatings and quality glass. The next morning, I watched an elk herd of 36 leave a pivot ~2 miles away. Both scopes were good enough to tell the difference between a branch bull and the 3 spike/forks in the herd, at 2 miles. I watched the herd travel away from me, leaving 1 spotting scope trained on the herd while spotting for deer with the other, and switching occasionally. I still could see the elk at ~5mi as they went over a ridge, with either scope. I don’t think I would have been able to pick out the animals if I had just been scanning the area, but since I knew they were there, I would search the area until I found them. If anything, the Razor had a slight advantage over the Krotos, the resolution seemed marginally better at the long distance. However, this may be due to the finer focus mechanicals of the Razor.

Over the 4 day scouting trip I alternated between the two and found I didn’t have a favorite. The absence of the dual focus on the Krotos was offset by being smaller than the Razor (more perceived than actual). The focus ring on the Krotos, is stiff but easy enough to adjust with one hand, it will probably loosen up some, which wouldn’t be a bad thing. The neoprene cover on the Krotos is a nice touch, it doesn’t fit perfectly but was much better than the Razor’s bulky, cheap feeling, zip up case. Eye relief on both was great and really wasn’t a noticeable difference, even though on paper the Razor has a little advantage. Weight for both comes in at ~48oz, which isn’t an issue for me, I carry a Magnus video tripod which is already much heaver than any of the spotting scopes.

After returning from scouting I took both up to the range, with the friend who I had picked up the Razor for, to see how they did at resolving bullet holes and for him to evaluate as well. At 300 yards both easily resolved both .30 and .22 bullet holes on the targets. My friend preferred the Razor with the dual focus and thought the image quality was slightly better, I however thought the Krotos had a clearer image. The slight difference in magnification was not an apparent issue and we both didn’t feel it was defining difference.

So, I have not returned the Krotos, the warranty seems to be the same for both, optically, functionally and physically (size and weight) they seem to be equivalent. I would give the Razor a very slight edge in optical quality and because of the dual focus, but despite my personal preference the dual focus really became a non-issue. If the pricing were the same, I think I would chose the Razor. But, the pricing isn’t the same and they are so close to being equal that I’m going to stick with the Krotos.

Last edited:
OP
Apex

Apex

FNG
The Krotos was on sale for $499 and the Razor was on sale for $800

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
FWIW I compared the Krotos 65 at length with a Razor 65 over the past few weeks. I sold the Razor and kept the Krotos. I bought it for $599 and felt it compared very well with the Razor. To my eyes it had a sharper image. While I really do like the dual focus of the Razor, I didn't have any problem resolving the image with the body focus on the Cabelas scope. The Razor seemed to have a slightly brighter image in fading light, but the image was sharper with the Krotos. I focused on a "No Trespassing" sign about 350 yards out and could clearly read it with the Krotos, but the Razor struggled to resolve as sharp. That is what helped me make my final decision. Nice trim, well built package in my opinion.

I do wish it had better lens caps though. I will use the Neoprene sleeve, but it doesn't have an objective lens cover. So you have to use the cap that came with the scope which leaves a little to be desired. Vortex caps are much better in my opinion. And their cover is a little better too.

FH