Torn on Which Scope - Swaro Z3 3X10X42 or Vortex 3x15x42

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I've been lurking for a while and wanted to pose a question and get some opinions (yes I have read the previous posts on this topic). My go-to mountain rifle is a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280. I have several other rifle options, but for some reason, this one is just my absolute favorite. I currently have talley rings and a Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40MM scope on it. My longest shot in the field to date is just over 300 yards on a pig, which dumped him on the spot (shoots 1" MOA consistently at range with Hornady Super Performance GMX 139 gr). So, I am very comfortable at that 300 yard or less range (have stretched a bit at range). However, as I am rifle hunting more and more I find myself wanting to increase my range some (and shoot more distance at the range) so that I can make the longer cross canyon shots as necessary. So, I have ordered a murphy precision 10 MOA picatinny rail and am considering 2 scope options:

1. Swarovski Z3 3X10X42 MM - Love the scope, and I am not making this rifle something it isn't by putting a telescope on it if I go this direction. Plus, the weight increase is minimal.

2. Vortex HD LH 3X15X42 MM G4 BDC MOA - Not sure that they could have fit more acronyms in the name here. I love this scope for longer range shooting at the range, and if I need to pull the trigger out past my previous comfort range. Weight increase is less than 4 oz's.

I was a pretty serious bow hunter for many years and transitioned over to more rifle hunting a few years ago so apoligies if this is a stupid scenario. Just trying to make my favorite rifle a solid shooter for the long haul. Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Anello

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Nothing wrong with the Zeiss you have on it. I'd never replace a Zeiss anything with a Vortex anything. I'd not spend the time and money to switch it over to the Z3 either. I have both those scopes on rifles in my safe.

OP
A

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Handwerk. I have not read a bad review of the Z3's . That your family has 7 is very telling. Definitely leaning that direction at the moment.

wyosteve

WKR
I had an urge so replaced a 2.5x8 Leupold on my hunting rifle with a 3-10 Swaro. To be honest, I think I'm going back to the Leupold. For me, it seemed the crosshairs are clearer-more defined than the Swaro. Just my observations. Certainly the Swaro is a good scope, but like others have said, probably not much better than the Zeiss.

AlaskaEd

WKR
If you have to get one of those two, get the Swaro no doubt. However, you aren't going to gain much over your Zeiss. The Swaro is a better scope, but IMHO, not enough to swap it out with something working great.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Always impressed with the solid candid advise I seen given on here. Good work guys

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing you have an old model than the Conquest HD5... The Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 would be an upgrade for longer range shooting with the lockable exposed turrets and zero stop. They are being cleared out at roughly the same price as the Razor so might be a little hard to find.

I'm not a fan of the turret setup on the Swaros and that they mix MILs and MOA. The glass is awesome, but... I have a Razor HD LH and I'm not a fan of the mushy turret and lack of a zero stop.

-David