Scope Suggestion with Turret

Benjblt

WKR
I need some help trying to find a scope with good value that has a turret. I'm looking for a 3x9x40mm with a turret. I think a leupold with a cds dial would be good. I like their warranty. I think a VX II is the most affordable model with a turret. Any other suggestions? I would love to get something dependable with a good warranty for around $200.

To my knowledge the VXII is the closest model to what you're asking for. I got mine on sale for $210 through MidwayUSA a few months back and have really enjoyed it. The Vortex Diamondback Tactical is an option but I personally wouldn't consider it. The turret zero can be reset by simply pulling up on the turret and setting it back down (not good for a hunting scope). Frankly, though, I think if you really want long range accuracy it's worth investing in a scope that has parallax adjustment. But you'll have to pay more obviously.

KurtR

WKR
200 is not going to get it done if you are expecting to twist the turrets and have any repeatable accuracy.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
To my knowledge the VXII is the closest model to what you're asking for. I got mine on sale for $210 through MidwayUSA a few months back and have really enjoyed it. The Vortex Diamondback Tactical is an option but I personally wouldn't consider it. The turret zero can be reset by simply pulling up on the turret and setting it back down (not good for a hunting scope). Frankly, though, I think if you really want long range accuracy it's worth investing in a scope that has parallax adjustment. But you'll have to pay more obviously.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm mostly looking at a scope that I don't have to guess or worry about distance shots. I end up leaving my '06 at home just because of the scope on top and I'm worried about shots over 300 yds. I'm mostly looking for affordability.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
200 is not going to get it done if you are expecting to twist the turrets and have any repeatable accuracy.

I think the VX II with the CDS will do what I need it to. I think it's more like a $280 scope though. I'm open to options at a higher cost.

KurtR

WKR
Look in the long range section under the 1000 dollar scope thread that is full of them and the whys. Just because you have a turret on a scope does not mean you should shoot over 300 yds more to it than that.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW you really touched a dial up nerve here. CDS have many limitations for sure doubtful it's 300 yards as that's hold over territory for most any caliber zeroed for 200.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'm not looking to shoot 1,000 yards. I just want to be adequate at 500 if I really have to be. A CDS will work for my purposes at that range. 500 is probably further than I would ever try to shoot honestly. We're talking more like 450. If a CDS is sighted in at 450 or 500 it will get the job done. If wind comes into play too much I won't even take the shot at 500. I'm aware of the question I'm asking. It's a back-up gun for the most part that I've rarely shot over 300 yards, but I've hammered em at 300 before and it will be effective all the way out to 450 I know. I don't need to complicate it any more than that. I'm not looking for a lesson on long range shooting and the associated equipment. That's a much longer conversation and for another post.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm not looking to shoot 1,000 yards. I just want to be adequate at 500 if I really have to be. A CDS will work for my purposes at that range. 500 is probably further than I would ever try to shoot honestly. We're talking more like 450. If a CDS is sighted in at 450 or 500 it will get the job done. If wind comes into play too much I won't even take the shot at 500. I'm aware of the question I'm asking. It's a back-up gun for the most part that I've rarely shot over 300 yards, but I've hammered em at 300 before and it will be effective all the way out to 450 I know. I don't need to complicate it any more than that. I'm not looking for a lesson on long range shooting and the associated equipment. That's a much longer conversation and for another post.

So what are you asking exactly if you already know the CDS is gonna work for you? Just someone to say "yup that'll work you are good to go"?

If a CDS is sighted in at 450 or 500 it will get the job done.

This quote right here tells me you really don't need to be shooting past 300 let alone twisting knobs to 500. Nobody would zero a gun at 450 or 500, smh. As others have stated, your price won't get it done either. There are 2 excellent scopes in the CL section that fit this bill at double your money though. A mill dot scope or a ballistic reticle would suite you better.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
So what are you asking exactly if you already know the CDS is gonna work for you? Just someone to say "yup that'll work you are good to go"?

No. Looking for other suggestions. Even Leupold has more than just the VX II. Their sight can be confusing at times as to which scopes offer the CDS.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
This quote right here tells me you really don't need to be shooting past 300 let alone twisting knobs to 500. Nobody would zero a gun at 450 or 500, smh. As others have stated, your price won't get it done either. There are 2 excellent scopes in the CL section that fit this bill at double your money though. A mill dot scope or a ballistic reticle would suite you better.

No. Not zeroed at 450-500. Calibrated. If you have a custom dial for a certain load you should sight in at 100 but be sure that it's hitting at 450 or some distance further out. Essentially you sight it in twice. Once at 100 and then finally at a further distance.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
No. Looking for other suggestions. Even Leupold has more than just the VX II. Their sight can be confusing at times as to which scopes offer the CDS.

Buy SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescopes at SWFA.com

I have a couple of their 3-15 models a 3-9 and a fixed 10x. I trust them for dialing a lot more than my Leupold VX-2s and I have quite a few Vx-2s but I view them as a set it and forget it scope.

Plus with the standard with Mil mil or MOA MOA (turrets and reticle) you can use the turret to dial for elevation and reticle to hold for wind unlike the standard duplex on the vx 2 gives you nothing to hold for wind. That and a MOA or mil turret will allow you to work up charts for more than just the one load for the one gun for the one temp and elevation.

No. Not zeroed at 450-500. Calibrated. If you have a custom dial for a certain load you should sight in at 100 but be sure that it's hitting at 450 or some distance further out. Essentially you sight it in twice. Once at 100 and then finally at a further distance.

I know exactly what the cds system is. You don't sight in twice. You need to shoot at each distance to verify correct bullet drop matches what you had the dial set for, i.e., elevation, bulllet ballistics, temp etc. cds is a crutch as it is set for a static temp, baro, elevation where an moa or mil dial allows that to change with proper input from the shooter.
I still say you need a drop reticle and not turrets.

I'm totally confused to what you want, what you have done and how you want a scope to react- I am lost totally lost.

KurtR

WKR
I know exactly what the cds system is. You don't sight in twice. You need to shoot at each distance to verify correct bullet drop matches what you had the dial set for, i.e., elevation, bulllet ballistics, temp etc. cds is a crutch as it is set for a static temp, baro, elevation where an moa or mil dial allows that to change with proper input from the shooter.
I still say you need a drop reticle and not turrets.

I think this is the best option

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'll think about it for a while and come back with a better way to ask my question. Thanks for trying guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Buy SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescopes at SWFA.com

I have a couple of their 3-15 models a 3-9 and a fixed 10x. I trust them for dialing a lot more than my Leupold VX-2s and I have quite a few Vx-2s but I view them as a set it and forget it scope.

Plus with the standard with Mil mil or MOA MOA (turrets and reticle) you can use the turret to dial for elevation and reticle to hold for wind unlike the standard duplex on the vx 2 gives you nothing to hold for wind. That and a MOA or mil turret will allow you to work up charts for more than just the one load for the one gun for the one temp and elevation.
Thanks for the input man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk