When do you pack a spotter?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Almost always, for mule deer. About the only time I don’t is if I’m hunting heavy cover in a relatively small area where I won’t need to see beyond a few hundred yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I always have mine especially on the open prairie. I like taking pics through it as much as finding game so the weight is worth it to me

1signguy

WKR
Almost always- the amount of walking one has to do versus what you can cover with your eyes is immense. I much prefer a big hike to a glassing site over walking all day.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Everytime if I just bought a nice one ;) Haha. Seriously though like I was talking to you about I have trouble glassing for long one eyed so I'm running 15x56 instead but I completely realize that means I can't check the shadows as good or score an animal from as far (but I'm not a trophy guy at this time) so I'm leaving a bit on the table. But as long as the freezer stays full I'm happy for now. When my motivations change and budget allows I'm sure a nice spotter will find its way into my gear pile. Whether that ends up being a 15-30 compact, 15-45, 20-60 and what objective is all TBD for now. ;)

dotman

WKR
It really depends on the location, rarely will I take it in my pack hunting elk in my usual area because the furthest I can glass while hunting is maybe 800 yards but I can glass the areas I hunt from a road very well. So I'll use it when I'm scouting but not hunting. Now for western KS mule deer it'll be in my pack.

That said when I pack in for elk I'll take it because the country opens up. I always pack either my tripod or swaro tree mount for my binos.

elk hunting on the west side never. I dont even take bino's. wilderness blacktail, bears and the super rare mule deer I always take it. I really enjoy digiscoping and use it for that as well so it has a "duel" purpose most trips.

I pretty much only do mountain hunts anymore and I always pack a spotter. I even pack a spotter on my daily hikes when I’m training, because I like to digiscope from time to time. I did take my son moose hunting this year, for a couple weekends, and didn’t bother with the spotting scope, but we were just trying to fill his cow tag so no worrying about counting brow tines.

svivian

WKR
Every time I go out it's usually in my pack unless I know I'll be in a jungle or hunting a large flat Mesa with thick pine or ponderosa.

Stein

FNG
I bought a compact and it goes with me 95% of the time.

I usually carry a spotter unless still hunting or stand hunting, it just depends on what size spotter I take. For smaller areas while blacktail or elk hunting I take my 20 power Leopold micro-spotter to save weight (and more importantly space). The power is more than adequate for small drainage and valleys when just looking for legal animals. For big country (mule deer) I take my larger spotter to cover the terrain with my eyes rather than my feet.

I got a doubler a while back i want to try out with my binos and my small spotter to see how it works out. Not ideal, but a much smaller package than my big spotter when backpack hunting.

KurtR

WKR
Everytime if I just bought a nice one ;) Haha. Seriously though like I was talking to you about I have trouble glassing for long one eyed so I'm running 15x56 instead but I completely realize that means I can't check the shadows as good or score an animal from as far (but I'm not a trophy guy at this time) so I'm leaving a bit on the table. But as long as the freezer stays full I'm happy for now. When my motivations change and budget allows I'm sure a nice spotter will find its way into my gear pile. Whether that ends up being a 15-30 compact, 15-45, 20-60 and what objective is all TBD for now. ;)

i have that same problem i went and bought a pirate patch and use that for extended periods of glassing and really has helped with my eye fatigue.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I try to bring a spotter with me most of the time. Since 2012 the only spotter I had was my 85mm 4+ pound Zeiss Diascope. Its a pain to carry at times and sometimes I question bringing it but generally glad to have it.

However now that I have the new 55mm spotter from Kowa and comparing it heads up to my 85mm Zeiss....for most hunts that weight is a factor the Zeiss is getting left behind especially if its not needed to determine the legality of the animal. Deer, bear, caribou, and mountain goats would all qualify for that. I do like having the big/little spotter options now for sure, now that I have found a little spotter than is actually worth hauling around.

The only time I don't have it in my pack is when I know I will only be hunting elk in dark timber. Keep in mind I have the smallest Vortex Razor possible so the weight isn't a huge factor and I always have my tripod for taking pictures.

dotman

WKR
I try to bring a spotter with me most of the time. Since 2012 the only spotter I had was my 85mm 4+ pound Zeiss Diascope. Its a pain to carry at times and sometimes I question bringing it but generally glad to have it.

However now that I have the new 55mm spotter from Kowa and comparing it heads up to my 85mm Zeiss....for most hunts that weight is a factor the Zeiss is getting left behind especially if its not needed to determine the legality of the animal. Deer, bear, caribou, and mountain goats would all qualify for that. I do like having the big/little spotter options now for sure, now that I have found a little spotter than is actually worth hauling around.

Been awhile since you did an optic write up, think it's about time now that you have the 55mm Kowa 😏

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Ryan already guilted me into it after he found out I bought one....review forth coming....along with 3-4 more I am behind on.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan already guilted me into it after he found out I bought one....review forth coming....along with 3-4 more I am behind on.

We’re not above using guilt here at Rokslide.

Justin and I will fast track that review. Lots of guys wondering on the Kowa.

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been really wanting to see a review from one of our writers. I almost bought one last week but wanted to see some real world feedback first so I ended up settling on buying an ATS 80 hd instead.

Live2hunt custom shelters