Swarovski 15’s or 12x50’s

TravKatQ

WKR
Throwing around the idea of selling my 15’s and 10’s for the EL 12x50’s to lessen the amount of optics I’m carrying around. I splurged this year (after a whole lot of overtime) and bought myself brand new swaro slc 10x42’s and 15’s. I love the 15’s for reaching out there but found it was a hassle packing them with a spotter and my 10’s around my neck, so the stayed home or in the truck a lot. So my question is has anyone made the switch to just 12’s and find them sufficient enough for reaching out when you need the extra power or should I stick with the current setup? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Brady Miller is talking about going with the 12s as a good middle ground. I think that it's a great option to cut weight and those 12x50 ELs have a really wide field of view and have fantastic reviews.

Why carrying multiple optics are essential for locating more deer | goHUNT

I must have missed that article, great explanation of my circumstance! Ha. Ya I have been reading reviews on the EL 12’s and have heard the same and more people leaning towards them over 15’s. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This debate always intrigues me. I have really good 10s and damn good 15s, but I could sell those to fund some EL 12s which are the best glass money can buy. I think if I wasn't hunting coues deer a lot i'd go with the 12s.

I think there's 2 options.

10's and a pair of 15's...or 12x50's. I run the 12x50's. Love them. They have a wider field of view and I seem to spot more with them than other size binos

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You might try JUST the 15s. I just spent a couple weeks elk hunting in AZ. My buddy and his friends all used 15 Swarovski only for everything and they had no complaints. There I was with my tiny little 8x Leicas :D

We hunted some think stuff too and they were just fine. Left me wanting for my 10 ELs...or at least my Duovids!

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
I think there's 2 options.

10's and a pair of 15's...or 12x50's. I run the 12x50's. Love them. They have a wider field of view and I seem to spot more with them than other size binos

I here you on the FOV, that’s why I’m leaning towards cashing in my 15’s for the el 12’s. The extra power helps for when I’m down in AZ glassing LONG distances but most of my other hunting I find throwing my 10’s on my tripod is works great and almost don’t bother reaching first the 15’s....

ianpadron

WKR
12x50s will change your life for the better.

That's all I'll say.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I love my 12x50 els off the pod, maybe the best game finding glass in ever used. check , no maybe about it. however they are way to much glass for me without the tripod. I always pair them up with 8x32 els .
I have not paired the 12x up with my 10x slc's...if I bring the 10x it's the only glass I take and us it without issue off the pod and free hand.

aron

WKR
I use 12x50s with no tripod. No way I could do that with the 15s. If I need more power than. 12s, I'll use the spotting scope. Absolutely no way would I pack 15s, 10s, and a spotter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I dropped by The Outdoorsmans today as I needed a quick release plate for my camera since I'll be doing quite a bit of solo hunting this year. All the guys that were in the store said they used the 12x50 ELs this year and that they're the best on the market. I had no trouble free handing them, either. To me they blew the 10x42 and 15x56 SLCs out of the water. I also really liked their ergonomics too. If I had the money no doubt they would be what I would buy. I'm going to start saving up for them.....

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
if you are carrying a spotter why not just the 10's and the spotter? no need for all 3.

I wouldn't go with the 15's unless I was taking them instead of a spotter, but my ranges are pretty short/ dense. I just picked up a pair of 8.5x42 EL's after testing 3 or 4 of the other sized EL's it was the best for me optically out of the sizes I tried.

Whisky

WKR
12x50s, easy choice

I have 10x42s that never leave the house anymore. I use my spotter in conjunction with the 12s when I need more power.

if you are carrying a spotter why not just the 10's and the spotter? no need for all 3.

I wouldn't go with the 15's unless I was taking them instead of a spotter, but my ranges are pretty short/ dense. I just picked up a pair of 8.5x42 EL's after testing 3 or 4 of the other sized EL's it was the best for me optically out of the sizes I tried.

Once you glass with 15s on a tripod you'll understand

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have both and use both a lot. If I had to pick one it would be the 12s

HookUp

WKR
12x50 EL on a tripod is a life changing glassing experience. 12x50 Els over the 15x50's hands down. Huge size and weight savings.

zhunter

FNG
When I look thru my Swarovski older slc 10x42 i think " I wish I had a little bit more"
When I carry my Minox 15x58ed i think "these are heavy but pretty amazing glass for the cost"
When I look thru my Meopta Meostar 12x50 B1 HD I think " these are the best value for the money for sure till i can get a pair of Swarovski El 12x50 Swarovison"
When I look thru my buddies Swarovski EL Swarovision 12x50 i think" These are the hands down best all around binos money could buy"
If you are looking at only Swarovski.
The SLC 10x42 HD are light and a great option.
The SLC 15x56 HD are going to be great and going to be a bit large for all around use but they absolutely give you an edge when stretching binos to the max.
The El 12x50 Swarovision are to me the ultimate bino if you could only have one.
1-you will see more than you will with the SLC 10x42 HD
2-you will give up very little to the slc 15x56 hd but you will be giving.
3-you will have a bino that you will have with you all the time your "Go To" Bino rather than grabbing the 15's from the back seat because you dont want them around your neck, might as well have a spotting scope.
I would prefer to carry 10x42.
I would prefer the magnification of the 15x56
The 12x50 is the ultimate do all in Swarovski, they give you more than the 10x42 and give up little to the 15x56 in a bino that you can have with you all day everday. That being said the Meopta Meostar 12x50 B1 HD is going to be as close as you will get for an affordable price at least for me, but they are not Swarovski Swarovisions! and you cannot compare binos by grabbing them hand held and saying that looks great, you must set them up on a tripod in field conditions.
IMO Swarovski Swarovision is amazing and there is no comparision and is what I will eventually get, but the Meoptas actually have better CA control but limited depth of view and no where near the edge to edge clarity of the swarovisions.
Hope this helps.

mcseal2

WKR
If Leica or Swaro would incorporate a rangefinder into a 12x50 that was reasonably light, optically excellent, and had a decent way to attach to a tripod I'd sell all my binos and get them. I love the rangefinder in my 10x42 Geovid HD-B Leicas, I love having it instantly available while glassing. I find myself often carrying both the Leicas and 15x Swaros though because I love the 15's on the tripod so much. I lightened my load somewhat by buying a Kowa 55mm spotter that has exceeded my expectations at a weight savings from the older Swaro STM65 I sold to buy the Kowa. The Kowa has a smaller field of view for glassing but excellent clarity for evaluating something I already found with the 15's. My perfect set-up for 90% of what I do would be a 12x rangefinding bino and the Kowa 55mm spotter.

If Leica or Swaro would incorporate a rangefinder into a 12x50 that was reasonably light, optically excellent, and had a decent way to attach to a tripod I'd sell all my binos and get them. I love the rangefinder in my 10x42 Geovid HD-B Leicas, I love having it instantly available while glassing. I find myself often carrying both the Leicas and 15x Swaros though because I love the 15's on the tripod so much. I lightened my load somewhat by buying a Kowa 55mm spotter that has exceeded my expectations at a weight savings from the older Swaro STM65 I sold to buy the Kowa. The Kowa has a smaller field of view for glassing but excellent clarity for evaluating something I already found with the 15's. My perfect set-up for 90% of what I do would be a 12x rangefinding bino and the Kowa 55mm spotter.

This is me exactly.. been eyeing a kowa, want 12s but love the geovids. For rifle hunting it is so nice ranging and having your dope immediately with Geovids..