What's your favorite lens cleaner in the field?

jmden

WKR
Not getting lens dirty to begin with (keep caps on objective and occular lenses as much as possbile) and blowing on it to clean it off. Touching lenses is something to be done very rarely as you'll be damaging/scratching coatings/glass almost assuredly. Takes a pretty good mess on lenses to really affect them, generally.

Lens pen. Make sure to blow debris off first making sure to keep optic away from your mouth so as not to moisten the lens. Then hit it with the brush part of the pen then the buffing side.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
This reminded me I have a bunch of those individually wrapped Zeiss cleaners I picked up at Sam's.

This might be the first time RS didn't cost me money! : )

I carry the Zeiss wet wipes and then a micro fiber cloth. At home I use my glasses cleaner.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the vortex field lense cleaning kit. It includes a brush, a rag, paper type rag, and a fog free solution. All comes in a handy zip pouch

oenanthe

WKR
+1 on keeping them clean to begin with. I almost never clean my binos or spotter in the field. I clean them at home, maybe every year or two.

I have a friend who cleans his Swaros by licking the lenses, then drying with his shirttail. Makes me cringe. And his binos look foggy.

MattB

WKR
Zeiss wet wipes. Blow dirt off first and then gently clean.

I have seen damage to binocs from grit that got stuck on lense pens and the cloths that come with a keeper that are designed to hang from you harness.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Mine don't get real dirty to begin with. When I do wipe them down, I'll just use my shirt and maybe a little spit. I've never had any issues doing this.

Akicita

WKR
I coat the lenses of my Steiner optics with a good non-abrasive car wax like Meguiars' and using a lens pen in the field for quick cleaning. I keep my binos in a Hill People Gear chest rig with no lens caps on them. This worked well for me in every environment on this earth that I encountered during my military days and works as well for me here in the mountains of Colorado.