Swarovski Z5 or Zeiss Conquest HD5

I am buying a new scope for my deer/elk rifle.

My shots are 600 yards and in.

I would like the recommendation for which is the better scope to buy or if there are other suggestions.

My question on the Swarovski turret is how do you use it when you have to re-sight in for different elevation and temperatures? Does that make the turret adjustment unusable so you have to re-sight in each time you go from plains for antelope and higher elevation for muleys and elk season.

Thank you.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the Zeiss given the 2 options. The primary reason being the Swaro turret not being marked. You also only get a little less than 1 revolution on it. The 2nd is the reticles are in Mils and the turret is in MOA.

Yes, you would likely need to re-sight the Swaro to be sure of your drops.

The Zeiss Conquest HD5 are being cleared out at a lot of places, so good deals can be had.

-David

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have the Swaro, but do have the HD5. I can't comment on the clarity or dialing reliability on the z5. On the HD5, I have the lock plex version and I like it alot. My particular sample has something like 75 MOA as I remember, it is the 3-15 version. I have had no problems with it returning to zero dialing out to 1120. Don't like the zero stop system though. If you are using it, it limits you to one turn, so I think 17 or maybe 18 MOA. BTW, it might be too much mag for what you want, but Cabelas had the 5-25 lockplex on sale for like 700ish on closeout. Not sure it is still there, but I like that scope.
Another option, depending on what you want, is the now discontinued VX6. I have one of these as well in 3-18x50. Kinda wish I had gotten the 44, but either are fine. Against my HD5, I had to admit that the VX6 was sharper in all conditions...roughly 1.5 lines on an optical chart, for both me and my son. Natchez shooters had some of these on closeout, not sure what they have left. I got mine cheap at Cabelas, it did not have the locking turrets. Sent it in and had them to add two-turn locking turrets and it's pretty great. Some of them already have one turn locks on them, some dont, but you can have it added, or converted to two turn, for not much money. If you can find one of these, I am impressed with them so far for the price I paid. The new HD version is way more expensive, however.

Did you send your scope to Zeiss to have the locking turrets installed?

And you're saying that instead of it turning one full revolution before locking they set it for 2 revolutions?

I have a 3-15x42 locking turret HD5 and didn't know they could do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a z5 on my 7 mag. I don't dial because my longest shot is probably 300 yards. So I can't comment on the tracking. The clarity however would be hard pressed to beat.