vortex summit tripod

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking for an honest opinion on the vortex summit tripod especially stability with the wind. I want something lightweight to use with my binocs. I know there are lots of better carbon models available, but with the summit on sale at $130 is this worth trying out? If this is a buy once cry once situation let me know if I should avoid it. Thanks

ianpadron

WKR
I've ran one for the past 2 seasons. The tripod itself ain't bad, in fact I'd even go so far to call it underrated. The head however is a POS that will get the job done but is nowhere close to a Benro or Manfrotto fluid head. Is it functional? Sure. Is it the last tripod head you'll ever want? Probably not.

My recommendation for a low cost setup is the summit SS tripod with the Benro S2 head. Lightweight, plenty stable, very adjustable, and way smoother than the pan head that comes with the tripod originally. One of the dudes at S and S archery can hook you up on the adapter you need to make that happen.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

For about $100 I fee the Sirui t-005x is a much better deal. The c-10 ball head has a panning feature that works well for glassing. Removing the lower leg sections and a few other non-essential items it weighs in at 2# and solid for the money. After having both the Summit and t-005x I’d say it’s head and shoulders above the Summit.

I have a promaster that I love, but if I'd have seen the one from B&H first, I'd have bought it.

Access Denied

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

boom

WKR
I've ran one for the past 2 seasons. The tripod itself ain't bad, in fact I'd even go so far to call it underrated. The head however is a POS that will get the job done but is nowhere close to a Benro or Manfrotto fluid head. Is it functional? Sure. Is it the last tripod head you'll ever want? Probably not.

My recommendation for a low cost setup is the summit SS tripod with the Benro S2 head. Lightweight, plenty stable, very adjustable, and way smoother than the pan head that comes with the tripod originally. One of the dudes at S and S archery can hook you up on the adapter you need to make that happen.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

agreed..the tripod itself is okay, i felt it was a tad light for my vortex 65mm spotter, it allows a bit more movement than i like..the head will make you want to throw the entire thing over the edge. i hated it!! on the unit i had, the head had on/off switches..you get it positioned perfectly, need to loosen to make a move..CRASH! the entire head would get too loose immediately and aim the lens towards the ground..if you are looking at a mystery "could it be a stick, could it be an antler?". you DO NOT want to have to search the landscape for that thing you think you saw again..

i would look elsewhere.

The best deal right now would be the Sirui A-1005. Normally $139.99, mention this forum and it's $109.99. Here are the specs for this. Just give us a call and we can get it right out for you
Load Capacity: 22 lb
Maximum Height: 55.1"
Minimum Height: 10.2"
Folded Length: 14"
Leg Sections: 5
Weight: 2.6 lb
Reverse-Folding Aluminum Legs
Detachable Monopod Leg
Center Column Hook
Y-10 Ball Head

Hope this helps