Anyone using the Leupold TBR rangefinder with Leupold CDS scope?

I got the 1200i TBR rangefinder and would like to try a turret type system to eliminate holdover guessing. I don't really know much about any of it. Like does it work at any magnification? Anyway, wondering if people using the Leopold system like it?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I use mine for bowhunting only I have the TBR 1000. Its a great rangefinder. Im super happy with it.

OP
MuleyFever
I like mine too so far. I am specifically wondering about people using it with the Leopold scope and CDS turrets.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I figured which is why I didn't elaborate more on what I like about it =-) Still though what i would say the best RF Ive ever used.

It's a good system but the turrets are limited to specific certain environmental conditions and altitudes.

Under 500 yards it probably won't matter. The further beyond 500 yards you go, the more different altitudes and temperatures will affect actual drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Sandhill, do you use the system? Can you please explain it the best you can and why it is dependent on those conditions? Is there a better system in your opinion?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sandhill, do you use the system? Can you please explain it the best you can and why it is dependent on those conditions? Is there a better system in your opinion?

Atmospheric conditions such as air temp, density, and humidity all affect your bullet's flight. The longer the range, the more the bullet is affected. A CDS dial such as the Leupold you mentioned will be set up for a specific set of conditions.

The best/most precise system imo is to use a device to get accurate atmospheric conditions, a laser rangefinder for an accurate range, a ballistic app to calculate your correction, and a scope set up with moa or mrad turrets. This is the type of system most experienced long range shooter/hunters will use. The best system for hunting imo is the Sig Kilo 2400 ABS rangefinder since it includes everything I listed above except the scope in one easy to use tool. With that said, it's $1500 and not for everyone.

If you are going to limit yourself to about 500 yds or so, I think a quality rangefinder and a CDS type dial on your scope is just fine. Like was mentioned above, as you start to stretch the range the system needs to be more precise.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
You do not need a leupold range finder to use a leupold scope. I have a sig kilo 850 and a leupold scope with a MOA dial. I would not want a CDS dial because like mentioned above it is set for the atmospheric condition and only one bullet. If you change bullets or major change in atmosphere condition then the CDS dial is not bang on any more.

I have an app in my iphone that lets me calculate quickly how many MOA's I need to adjust. Also I have a quick dope card on my gun for ranges out to 500 yds. Example on my gun my dope card says 450 yds = 8.3 MOA, so then I just dial my scope to 8.3 if it is a 450 yd shot. This dope card is for average atmospheric conditions.

Check out long range shooting if you really want to learn this stuff, I only have a basic knowledge and do not shoot that far.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
The Leupold rangefinder has an MOA holdover option (RX-1200i TBR DNA). You can use the CDS dial on the scope that it comes with that is just a standard MOA markings. Rangefinder would call the MOA holdover and dial the MOA marked scope.

The RX-1200 also has a MIL, and then the programmed inch holdover for the pre programmed ballistic drop chart groups. I’ve used them all and they all work very good. I’m very happy with this rangefinder.

But I wouldn’t dial a VX-3. The tracking isn’t reliable enough. I have one that is a CDS. Took it off and replaced it with a Sightron S-Tac. They track amazingly well.

wapitibob

WKR
A good RF like the Leupy or Sig and a dope chart will be fine to 500-600. You can also make your own yardage turret labels with Avery stick on labels and a sharpie.