Swaro EL's binocular stud

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone here who are mechanically inclined made their own stud on a lathe and installed on their El binos with out sending them away. I am curious cause I'm thinking of doing my own. My question does the front hinge have a pressed in stud for the hinge assembly. Would love some close up shots of those who have the stud install by outdoorsman. Any insight would be helpful.

nrh6.7

WKR
I can tell you that the Outdoorsmans sends al EL's to a machine shop to have them pressed in. This is not something I would try to do myself, not just for fear of damage but because the Outdoorsmans stud is the only stud that Swarovski will still warranty.

Considering the cost of these binos, the price of the stud is minor to ensure it is done correctly.

OP
P

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks...... I own a machine shop. Lathes,presses, shears mills and Cnc tables.That is certainly not my concern. I truly believe that it's not rocket science, but I also realize there is a right way of doing things. I am sure the outdoorsman does a great job but Im sure it has been done by others. I think the key here is to know how that front hinge is assembled. As stated above, it's a pricey mistake to break the hinge. I certainly won't attempt until I am sure how it's assembled

nrh6.7

WKR
Then I'm sure you could handle it. I'll try and get a few pics for you this evening. In your case I'd only be worried about warranty if you ever had to send them in, but maybe someone that's actually had to deal with their warranty could provide better info.

OP
P

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.....absolutely. At this point nothing has been touched so the more info now ahead of time of any kind to help with the potential project would be immensely helpful. So anyone who has thought of doing it, or attempted to do it themselves please chime in. Maybe it's a stupid idea but I am curious

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not sure how they do it... but just wanted to bring up the warranty deal again. I know that when outdoorsmans does it, the swaro warranty is not voided. But I guess there are some other places that can press them in, but it does void the warranty. I would really just hate for you to damage them, then have to pay another arm and leg to get them fixed or replaced. That being said, I can send you some photos of mine if that would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Any chance for some up close pictures of that mounting stud fellas? This is still on my list of potential projects when I've got some time. For the time being I am using a plate mount I made at the shop to get me through the season

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Thanks...... I own a machine shop. Lathes,presses, shears mills and Cnc tables.That is certainly not my concern. I truly believe that it's not rocket science, but I also realize there is a right way of doing things. I am sure the outdoorsman does a great job but Im sure it has been done by others. I think the key here is to know how that front hinge is assembled. As stated above, it's a pricey mistake to break the hinge. I certainly won't attempt until I am sure how it's assembled

Even if you are capable is it worth voiding the warranty doing it yourself? $100 installed with warranty or void warranty on a $2k item.

But if doing yourself and your ok having no warranty why not also consider KDC's mount?

dotman

WKR
Any chance for some up close pictures of that mounting stud fellas? This is still on my list of potential projects when I've got some time. For the time being I am using a plate mount I made at the shop to get me through the season

It's just a hinge pin pressed out and replaced with a new hinge pin that extend to a bino stud, I would think it would be pretty easy with the correct equipment but is it worth losing warranty to save a few $$$?

Mine looks just like this but black Outdoorsmans Swarovski EL Stud & Install

OP
P

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I looked at that to. A few pics at different angles would be great. I search the internet high and low and also u tube but there is very little info around. All I can get is a few web pics from the outdoorsman site and a few vids. There are so many brilliant people out there with mad skills. I can't be the first to contemplate doing this.
Is the stud made of stainless or aluminum ?

Last edited:
Not sure this is what you want but here ya go.
d4bfab0f958f9de5f1206cd6d8106cb7.jpg

b9768259c415969482667016e23124ec.jpg

50b48c781960c344a8c5585d2f96ceb4.jpg

OP
P

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Troutbum.....that's exactly what I was looking for. In your opinion does it look like the front swarovski emblem has ever been removed from the front hinge. Can u tell if that pin is aluminum or stainless?

1signguy

WKR
Been to the shop that makes and installs them- it’s beautiful- Running 13 Haas machines. Unless you are thinking of selling them send your binos in. It’s a 3-5 minute install for them... IMO no way it’s worth doing yourself even if you own the equipment.

OP
P

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks signguy........ being from Canada it gets pretty pricey. Stud and mount is already over 200 canadian dollars plus international shipping and insurance. So reality it will be 300 bucks plus any duties our crazy border authority throws on it for the work preformed.
Not saying for sure I'm going to do this but is definitely worth digging a bit deeper

Thanks Troutbum.....that's exactly what I was looking for. In your opinion does it look like the front swarovski emblem has ever been removed from the front hinge. Can u tell if that pin is aluminum or stainless?

It doesn’t appear to me that the front button/emblem has ever been removed. As far as what the post is made out of, I initially thought stainless but then I put a magnet up to it and the magnet won’t stick, so it must be aluminum.
3e8f40d915f4a5f96bd1a79a42adcd06.jpg