Swarovski EL or EL Range

treillw

WKR
I'm going to buy a pair of Swarovski binos and I have a question for you guys. I have a good range finder already (Gunwerks G7 BR2), so I don't really need the ranging function in the binoculars. Is there any good reason for me to pay ~$700 extra to be able to range with the binos? It would be nice to have a backup, but I don't really think that it's necessary. Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks!

dotman

WKR
The EL Range does not have the same glass coatings as the EL swarovision, so if you want swarovision don't get the EL Range. Since you have a good RF I see no reason to get the glass without their flagship coatings and spend more, go with the EL.

yhc

WKR
There might be some occasions when having an EL range might be advantageous. Personally, however, I do not range constantly while I glass. I am happy with my EL bino to glass and Leica RF when I need to range.

Regards,

I had a good range finder and Swaro 10x42’s, ended up getting rid of both and getting the 10x42 EL range binos and have been happy with my decision. I like not having the extra piece of glass (range finder), when I go on my hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
OK, sounds like I will go with the plain EL model without the rangefinder. I found a good deal on the older model with the metal strap attachment points for $2260. Is there any reason to go with the newest ones over these as far as optical quality is concerned?

Thanks for the help!

1signguy

WKR
I really like having everything in one package especially on back pack hunts. You can’t go wrong with either system but no way I see myself carrying a range finder again.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I will pretty much always want to have a ballistics calculator on me, which I have in the G7 BR2. If I would use the swaros as a range finder, I'd need another ballistics calculator - phone, kestrel, etc. I'd just as soon carry the rangefinder and have it do the math quickly and effortlessly.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Is there any other binocular that is superior in optical quality that is worth considering?

dotman

WKR
OK, sounds like I will go with the plain EL model without the rangefinder. I found a good deal on the older model with the metal strap attachment points for $2260. Is there any reason to go with the newest ones over these as far as optical quality is concerned?

Thanks for the help!

Nope, only change is in the strap attachment, Optics are the same.

dotman

WKR
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What is the best price you guys have seen on the EL new? $2260 seems to be a really good deal. The $2000 demos are a great deal, but I don't know if I like the idea of something being wrong with them.

dotman

WKR
What is the best price you guys have seen on the EL new? $2260 seems to be a really good deal. The $2000 demos are a great deal, but I don't know if I like the idea of something being wrong with them.

That is a worry you don't need to have, plus same warranty as new. For new $2260 probably will be your best deal.

Think of it as buying a 2017 pickup with 1,000 miles on it, same warranty but costs less.

yhc

WKR
Doug from Cameraland had a few Swarovski DEMO items on sale (i.e. 34008 EL 8.5X42 BINOCULARS $1299.99). You might want to check out his store or Natchez SS. With Black Friday coming around the corner, you might find some great deals if you are not in a hurry.

Regards,

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I have bought Demo's in the EL Range for$2399 and 12x50 EL SV for $1899 from Natchez, both looked brand new with all accessories and full warranty. The EL Range don't have glass as good as the SLC models (still very good glass).

sakoholic

FNG
The EL Range does not have the same glass coatings as the EL swarovision, so if you want swarovision don't get the EL Range. Since you have a good RF I see no reason to get the glass without their flagship coatings and spend more, go with the EL.

The Swarovision has field flattener lenses and HD glass in the eyepiece to correct the edge pincushion distortion you see in most binoculars. The EL Range doesn't have the have the Swaroclean coating but has all the other Swarovision coatings - Swarobright, Swarotop and Swarodur. Apparently the Swaroclean coating interferes with the laser beam.

I did own the 10x42 EL Swarovision and still own 8x32 EL SV binoculars and comparing them extensively with the 10x42 EL Range (field pro model). I have excellent vision and could not detect the slightest difference optically (apart from the flat looking effect of the SV) between the three in all light conditions. The EL Range has a 91% light transmission factor whereas the Swarovision has 90%. The 1% difference is unnoticeable. Personally, I find the Swarovision flat field of view (to the edge of edge of view), no advantage as I don't find it comfortable looking at edge of the FOV.

I sold my 10x42 EL SV binos, plus Leica 1600b rangefinder and bought the 10X42 EL Range (field pro) as they're really outstanding. The new field pro models have some features apart from the strap attachment. They have a different texture to the covering which feels better in ungloved hands and more importantly, a far better system of retaining the objective lens covers. On the EL Range field pro the range button is easier to use and is slightly faster than previously and the fins on the underside which house the range finding electronics have a more comfortable shape.