What 12x50 binos?

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking I am going to purchase a pair of 12x50 binoculars. Looking for some recommendations from other forum members. Price range is $1000-$1500. With 1500 being the max right now, would like to stay around 1000-1200 but if there is a pair that offers a significant increase in optic quality could swing the 1500. I have looked through a pair of swarovski el in the 12x50 and they are nice but just not in the budget right now. I talked to Doug at camerland and he recommended the gpo precision hd 12.5x50 which is where I am leaning to, them or the meopta meostar hd 12x50. Anybody have experiences with these two or can offer other recommendations to make this decision even harder?

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
Shop around, you might find some Leica Ultravid Hd in that range. I have a pair and like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of Vortex Razor HD 12x50 I would part with. Excellent condition, stored in their case. Used on a Cabela's Car-Window Mount maybe 6 times for spotting otherwise have sat in the case. Includes the doohickey that attaches to the window mount head. Have box and paperwork. Looks like they sell for 1100 so how about $950 shipped. Pics available upon request.

WRO

WKR
Euros set that price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely some good options at that price range. Just make sure you don't buy Meostar/Euro HDs without trying some out in person first. Their ergonomics aren't for everyone.....

OP
I

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, I am familiar with the cabelas euro in the 10x42 config though. I know they are new but does anybody of any experience with the gpo optics glass.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to Doug and Cameraland, I got a GPO rifle scope in a drawing a few months back. I haven't hunted with it-bow only this year, but I did compare it to my Leupold VX III in low light. It was too close to call. I really like it. No experience with the binos, but Western Hunter put them above the Zeiss Conquest.

For my eyes, the best glass in the 1k-1500 dollar range was the Meostar/Cabelas Euro. I wish I had bought the 12x50 instead of the 10x42. But now I want Swaros.

Last edited:

PLO5

WKR
I think maven b2 11x45 is way to go personal opinion. I was not a fan of gpo and have been a Swarovski guy forever but for a third of the price and a much better warranty without sacrificing a heck of a lot in optical calirity I won’t go back. Optics are different for everyone so try different stuff

zhunter

FNG
The Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD are what I chose for the price and would be tough to beat.

WKR
I owned the meopta 12x50, and the maven 11x45 within the last year. They are both very good. The meopta are big and heavy and blocky and balance poorly on a tripod due to their ergonomics. The maven are much more friendly for handling and tripod use. People talk about the b2 being big and or bulky, and they are when compared to an average 8 or 10x42, but they are sleek and small compared to the 12x50 by meopta. I still own the maven.

Side note, if we were talking about 15x, the meopta are far and away better than the maven IMO.

I owned the meopta 12x50, and the maven 11x45 within the last year. They are both very good. The meopta are big and heavy and blocky and balance poorly on a tripod due to their ergonomics. The maven are much more friendly for handling and tripod use. People talk about the b2 being big and or bulky, and they are when compared to an average 8 or 10x42, but they are sleek and small compared to the 12x50 by meopta. I still own the maven.

Side note, if we were talking about 15x, the meopta are far and away better than the maven IMO.

How did you feel about the magnification of the B2 comparatively? Was the 11x more like a 10x or more like a 12x?

WKR
While you give up 1x magnification, you gain a lot in fov and the AK prism transmits a much higher percentage of light. I think of them as a smaller and lighter 12 more than a bigger 10, but that's just my impression.

Last edited:

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
I’m torn between the GPO 12.5x50 and the Meopta 12x50. I can get them for close enough of a price that I can’t decide. I can’t get my hands on either because I live in a small town

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I’m torn between the GPO 12.5x50 and the Meopta 12x50. I can get them for close enough of a price that I can’t decide. I can’t get my hands on either because I live in a small town

After looking through both the glass in the Meopta is better IMO. But the GPOs are much sleeker and easier to hold then the Meoptas.

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
Damn that’s what I thought.

Does the glass outweigh the ergonomics enough to go Meopta or is it close enough to take better the better ergonomics of the GPO?

Damn that’s what I thought.

Does the glass outweigh the ergonomics enough to go Meopta or is it close enough to take better the better ergonomics of the GPO?

I've played with both. The Meopta, to me, was dang near unusable ergonomically. Short and fat; kind of felt like holding a giant cheeseburger.
The GPO had a great feel in the hands, balanced well, and felt surprisingly light to me. That being said there are tons of people who use the Meoptas and love them.

Bones

WKR
There was just a Kifarucast on glass in this price range. They put the Maven B2's on top. May want to give it a listen. Leica Trinavoids were second and the Meopta's a close third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk