What 12x50 binos?

Chad E

WKR
After really looking at my optics setup after a couple hunts this fall and comparing them to what my buddies were packing I was on the same 12x50 quest. It started with being able to borrow a pair of razors for a few days. I then took advantage of the Maven demo program and ordered a set of the 11x45 b2s. At the same time I purchased a pair of 12x50 cabelas instinct euro(meopta's). They arrived within a day of each other and I spent the next two weeks packing both on some hunts, each one separately some days, and a bunch of head to head comparison on my back deck. This included a lot of time on a tripod as well as off hand. The conclusion I came to was both the mavens and the meopta/cabelas were better than the razors to my eyes. Both the maven and the meopta are amazing glass and I really had a hard time picking between the two. Going into it after hearing a lot about maven as a company I really wanted them to be the one I ranked higher and kept but in the end I ended up sending back the Maven and keeping the Meopta. The reason I did this is to my eye I can focus and get a clearer image out of the Meopta. For some reason I often struggled to get the super sharp focus with the Maven. I won't rule out the possibility that the Maven was a used demo model and they weren't perfectly brand new(like the Meopta) and maybe not a good representation. Another thing of note is I see a ton of guys talking about ergonomics and the meoptas being big and cumbersome. After using both on a couple of hunts I didn't feel that the Meopta's were that bad. All of the 12x options were considerably larger than the 10x42's I used as my main binocular previously, but the main purpose of a set of 12xs to me is for hunts where I plan to put them on a tripod a large majority of the time and to me when they are on the tripod I don't notice much about ergonomics. Make no mistake a 12x binocular is not a nice compact package. My previous optics setup was a pair or 10xs on my chest 100% of the time and I would pack a spotter for any hunt where I wanted to have more magnification. For hunts where I planned to do a ton of glassing I would bring 15xs as well. I would use both the 10xs and 15xs of the tripod when appropriate. When I initially decided I wanted to get a set of 12x50s I planned on it being my primary set and I would no longer have to own or bring a set of 10x on my chest and a pair of 15xs in the pack. After spending time behind multiple sets of 12xs I have decided that for a lot of hunts they will be a great bridge between my two previous optics but there will be some hunts where they are not a good primary setup. Because of this I will certainly hang on to my 10x42s(and even wish they were 8x) for hunts where more magnification is not necessary, I will not be packing a tripod/spotter, and a lighter compact package is preferred.

I listened to the Kifaru podcast where Aron gave the results posted above. I am certainly not going to dispute his knowledge or conclusions but judging from the optics reviewed I am pretty sure most of the models they looked at were 10x42s or similar. I don't think those results transfer over perfectly to 12x50 class binos but it is a great starting place.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Very happy with my leica ultravid hd+ 12x50. Ergonomics are very comfortable. Glass is great. Got a great deal for new set on eBay. Still some over your target. I didn’t want to spend that much but everyone says buy once cry once. Glad I did.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
After really looking at my optics setup after a couple hunts this fall and comparing them to what my buddies were packing I was on the same 12x50 quest. It started with being able to borrow a pair of razors for a few days. I then took advantage of the Maven demo program and ordered a set of the 11x45 b2s. At the same time I purchased a pair of 12x50 cabelas instinct euro(meopta's). They arrived within a day of each other and I spent the next two weeks packing both on some hunts, each one separately some days, and a bunch of head to head comparison on my back deck. This included a lot of time on a tripod as well as off hand. The conclusion I came to was both the mavens and the meopta/cabelas were better than the razors to my eyes. Both the maven and the meopta are amazing glass and I really had a hard time picking between the two. Going into it after hearing a lot about maven as a company I really wanted them to be the one I ranked higher and kept but in the end I ended up sending back the Maven and keeping the Meopta. The reason I did this is to my eye I can focus and get a clearer image out of the Meopta. For some reason I often struggled to get the super sharp focus with the Maven. I won't rule out the possibility that the Maven was a used demo model and they weren't perfectly brand new(like the Meopta) and maybe not a good representation. Another thing of note is I see a ton of guys talking about ergonomics and the meoptas being big and cumbersome. After using both on a couple of hunts I didn't feel that the Meopta's were that bad. All of the 12x options were considerably larger than the 10x42's I used as my main binocular previously, but the main purpose of a set of 12xs to me is for hunts where I plan to put them on a tripod a large majority of the time and to me when they are on the tripod I don't notice much about ergonomics. Make no mistake a 12x binocular is not a nice compact package. My previous optics setup was a pair or 10xs on my chest 100% of the time and I would pack a spotter for any hunt where I wanted to have more magnification. For hunts where I planned to do a ton of glassing I would bring 15xs as well. I would use both the 10xs and 15xs of the tripod when appropriate. When I initially decided I wanted to get a set of 12x50s I planned on it being my primary set and I would no longer have to own or bring a set of 10x on my chest and a pair of 15xs in the pack. After spending time behind multiple sets of 12xs I have decided that for a lot of hunts they will be a great bridge between my two previous optics but there will be some hunts where they are not a good primary setup. Because of this I will certainly hang on to my 10x42s(and even wish they were 8x) for hunts where more magnification is not necessary, I will not be packing a tripod/spotter, and a lighter compact package is preferred.

I listened to the Kifaru podcast where Aron gave the results posted above. I am certainly not going to dispute his knowledge or conclusions but judging from the optics reviewed I am pretty sure most of the models they looked at were 10x42s or similar. I don't think those results transfer over perfectly to 12x50 class binos but it is a great starting place.

Thanks for the feedback. I looked hard at the mavens at the sportsmen show this last week. Honestly, I was not impressed with any of the models. Kind of let down as I had kind of hoped I would be bringing a pair home.

As for the Kifarucast on Bino's after talking at length with the New Maven Rep for this area at the show it turns out he very close friends with Aron. Would this sway Arons Opinion/review? IDK!!

Tyler455

Lil-Rokslider
Damn , now I’m torn between Maven 11x45, Meopta 12x50, and sill don’t want to discount GPO but I haven’t heard enough good about them.

I wouldn't let the comments about ergonomics scare you. If you're hand holding 12s long enough for that to bug you then you're doing it wrong.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Hatchet Jack is spot on. I have used Meopta's, Swarovski's and Leica's 12X extensively. Never gave ergonomics a thought. Could not tell you if one is any better in that respect than the others.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I use my 12s for everything. I damn sure notice the ergonomics between brands.

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I use my 12s for everything. I damn sure notice the ergonomics between brands.

I guess ergonomics are pretty personal, otherwise we would all be after the same mate. I use 12's or 15's for almost all my hunting, but probably 80 or 90% is off a tripod.

Schaaf

WKR
I think ergonomics are the most important when you’re talking alpha binos. Between them all there might be a hairs difference in image. I pick the ones that fit the best in my hand are the most comfortable up against my eyes.

OCHO505

Lil-Rokslider
So are the Meopta 12x50 manageable to use free hand? I had the 12x50mm swaro and never had that issue. I love the 12x50 but like the idea of 12x50mm and some extra cash.

Anyone weigh in on the 12x50mm UHD from Vortex?

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I got a set of Tract Optics 12.5x50 binos this summer. I do not have much experience with alpha glass but these are great to my eyes. I was looking at the Meoptas and GPOs at first. I bought a decent tripod with the difference in $.