Swarovski or Vortex

AZElk

FNG
I am currently in the market for a new pair of 10x42 binoculars and am willing to spend the money required to get Razor HD or Swaro. For me the Vortex is the obvious option because of their warranty and knowing me I am rough on my ALL my gear. I was hoping someone who knows what they are talking about with binoculars could help me out in understanding why I should still be looking at Swarovski.

So the swaros are hands down better... but

I bought razors because my eyes aren’t good enough to notice a difference worth the price difference.

I also don’t professionally scout where I need to count rings on a ram from 1/2 mike away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoElk

WKR
I went Swaro and am happy I did every single time I bring them to my eyes. I’ve had mine a while now and am still amazed by them. I have no problems justifying them to myself, they are that incredible.

My contacts, my astigmatism, several floaters and some light early stages of cataracts make the edge to edge clarity of the swaros semi useless to me. I would also assume a lot of people have one or more eye limitations like I do and the swaro glass can not be fully utilized in their instance as well as mine.

Is that better?

ljalberta

WKR
Swaro. Certainly the superior optic, and their warranty/customer service is also amazing. It's not the lifetime no-fault warranty, but I've never heard of a person not satisfied with their Swaro customer service/warranty experience.

If you have a chance, look through both optics at first/last light, and peer into some shadows/look at finer details, and you'll realize the Vortex is good, but the Swaro is great.

A great review form S and S Archery as well... SLC vs Razor - S&S Archery Backcountry

I was also going to suggest that review from S&S archery. Swarovski is undoubtedly better. Even Swarovski's cheapest model, the SLCs, have a wow factor that Razors don't but it's up to you to decide if you need them. The Swaro EL 12x50s are the top bino on the market if you have unlimited funds.

Stid2677

WKR
Better optics equal less eye strain during prolong use,, Swaro would be my choice.

nrh6.7

WKR
Swarovski for the win. I looked through Vortex binos during my hunt, but the swaro's are just so much better.

My contacts, my astigmatism, several floaters and some light early stages of cataracts make the edge to edge clarity of the swaros semi useless to me. I would also assume a lot of people have one or more eye limitations like I do and the swaro glass can not be fully utilized in their instance as well as mine.

Is that better?

Not really. I would think that a “less” quality of glass would enhance the issues you have with your eyesight.

Regardless of what you mean, or how I interpret it, it’s not really worth arguing about over the internet.

CorbLand

WKR
The edge to edge clarity is what really makes the Swaros stand out over Vortex.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I am currently in the market for a new pair of 10x42 binoculars and am willing to spend the money required to get Razor HD or Swaro. For me the Vortex is the obvious option because of their warranty and knowing me I am rough on my ALL my gear. I was hoping someone who knows what they are talking about with binoculars could help me out in understanding why I should still be looking at Swarovski.

you definitely need to look through both to make that decision for yourself. As others have said Swaro are the king of the hill but if your not a huge hunter and find justifying the additional cost for edge to edge clarity is not worth the extra 1000$ then it would be an easy decision. I know I wouldn't of owned Swaros if I didn't get a crazy deal on them.

1signguy

WKR
I have both in a 10x42. (Swaro 10x42 EL Range and Vortex 10x42 Viper) Gave the Vortex to my 14 year old son. The Vortex are fine but not even close to the Swaro. Where you really notice is after prolonged glassing. Very easy to sit behind the Swaro all day. Not the case with Vortex- at all. For AZ/western hunts the Swaro is definitely what you want IMO. Where the Vortex would get some consideration from me is tree stand/white tail/bear hunting where you aren’t looking through them for prolonged periods. If you buy the Vortex do yourself a favor and don’t look through a Swaro- I owned both the Vipers and a Vortex spotter before looking through a buddies Swaro’s... cost me 10k I think... Get a good tripod whatever you decide. Finally- consider making a trip down to The Outdoorsman in Fountain Hills, AZ. It won’t be a cheap trip but they will steer you right and save you from buying twice.

Swaros if you can afford them. However, they are very expensive - price difference could equal the price of a hunt for some. If you don't spend a LOT of time glassing, I'd go with the Vortex and do an additional hunt. I just upgraded to a Swaro spotter and even as a professional hunting guide year-round, it wasn't easy to justify the cost. Although, I do get to write it off on taxes. It's a very personal decision. Took me a long time to go from Vortex to Swaro and it was a luxury more than a necessity.

Like what everyone has said, Swaro is better. I’ve tested them side by side and just feel like the Swaro is easy on the eyes. By that I mean with the Vortex I felt like my eyes were constantly trying to refocus and adjust. It felt like I could never get them to focus just right. Yes, I adjusted the diopter to my eyes. That’s been the case with a few models. I’ve also spotted elk from 3 miles away with Swaro (checked on google earth) and wasn’t able to see them with the Vortex. I know this is an extreme scenario, but a good illustration of the quality of glass in Swaro. I think at extreme distances like these you can really see a difference with Swaro glass vs vortex. This along with trying to spot small parts of a bedded animal in the shade of a tripod.

WyoElk

WKR

Is that better?

I used to think this way as well, until I bought Swaro. I have severe kerataconus which makes my optical options tough but the Swaros have me in awe every time I use them. I wavered wether I should buy swaro with my bad eyes and now I don’t regret it a bit.

Beendare

WKR
I doubt Vortex will get one vote...good company but they are a lesser product optically.

I used to think since my eyes were getting worse that the optics I chose didn't matter as much so when wanting a pair of 8x I went Vortex Vipers. Ugh, no...I was wrong....the difference between Vipers and the bino I replaced them with [the Nikon EDG's] is night and day difference....not just a tiny incremental thing...its a big deal.

I'm a big Swaro fan...but those EDG's are the best glass I've seen.