Leica HD-B 2200 vs Swaro EL SV 10x42

dotman

WKR
So considering an all in one bino, some great deals currently. How would the Leica HD-B compare to my swaros, non-ranging Swarovision EL's ? I've always been a keep your RF separate kind of mindset but am really considering a change.

The $1999 cabelas deal is great.. I don't have a good comparo to ELs for you but do prefer the glass in my HD-B 2000 to my conquest HD 10x42s. They seem a bit less bright than the conquest yet I can still resolve just as well or better with the HD B in low light.

I'm also impressed with the application of the custom ballistic solutions in hunting solutions. It matches my applied ballistics kestrel solutions.

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
Dotman the glass in the swaros are quite a bit better in my opinion. Something to consider is the light transmission is different in each barrel on the Leica do to the display. Don't quote me but I believe one was 87% and the other in the 90% range so after long periods of glassing you might get a little strain. Also there is a noticeable tint when comparing the two. Some done mind and you would get use to it but I prefer the swarovision. I don't like rangefinding binos but if I was to buy one I think the Leica is the best... just my .02

On a sheep mountain in the NWT 3 months ago I compared my Swarovision 10x42 ELs with the guide's Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42s. I was very impressed with the Leica depth of focus and clarity+++++. The overall size of the Leica is bigger, wider and heavier than the Swaros--------. I've been semi-interested in buying a pair of the Leicas that will angle compensate at bowhunting yardage. I think they are that good, but wouldn't sell the Swaros until I had thoroughly selected the Leica as my choice with enough miles on them to confidently be sure of the switch. Note that I like Leica's glass and use an old Ultravid 8x32 (pre-HD) for shorter distance hunting and a Geovid 15x56 on the tripod in the wide open spaces. They agree with me. That said my Swaro ELs and spotter are excellent and I really don't have a great reason to leave the ELs. Good luck with your choice!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Dotman the glass in the swaros are quite a bit better in my opinion. Something to consider is the light transmission is different in each barrel on the Leica do to the display. Don't quote me but I believe one was 87% and the other in the 90% range so after long periods of glassing you might get a little strain. Also there is a noticeable tint when comparing the two. Some done mind and you would get use to it but I prefer the swarovision. I don't like rangefinding binos but if I was to buy one I think the Leica is the best... just my .02

Interesting, I know the swaro range do not have the same coatings as the Swarovision but I've only heard Leica had all their top coatings and has a very high light transmission rate. I've been looking to see if I can find any info on the optic coatings being different between the barrels but nothing even from Leica.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
On a sheep mountain in the NWT 3 months ago I compared my Swarovision 10x42 ELs with the guide's Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42s. I was very impressed with the Leica depth of focus and clarity+++++. The overall size of the Leica is bigger, wider and heavier than the Swaros--------. I've been semi-interested in buying a pair of the Leicas that will angle compensate at bowhunting yardage. I think they are that good, but wouldn't sell the Swaros until I had thoroughly selected the Leica as my choice with enough miles on them to confidently be sure of the switch. Note that I like Leica's glass and use an old Ultravid 8x32 (pre-HD) for shorter distance hunting and a Geovid 15x56 on the tripod in the wide open spaces. They agree with me. That said my Swaro ELs and spotter are excellent and I really don't have a great reason to leave the ELs. Good luck with your choice!

This sounds promising.

handwerk

WKR
I had the swro EL SV 10x42's for 5 years and loved them, but replaced them with the 8.5x42 SV's and also added a new pair of the now discontinued geovid HD-R 10x42's. I will admit the ergos of the EL fit me better, and the glass is stunning, but at the end of the day I am still very impressed with the geovids, to my eyes they are not far behind the swaros much at all in view and I do enjoy the combo unit, so more often then not the geovids go on the hunt.

svivian

WKR
I'm not sure if that info is listed but will give my Leica rep a call and get the specs on the exact light transmission.

I run the HD-B 2000 edition and couldn't be happier. Spot on to 1000 with my .300 win mag data. Shot my sitka blacktail a couple of weeks ago at 410 yards, downhill at about 30 degree angle. I have it set to 1/10 clicks meaning I have a Mil Scope and it is 1/10 mil. (Vortex PST).

Range...410 yards...scope shows C-17...17 clicks....click scope 17 clicks, squeeze the trigger....dead deer.

Pretty easy schmeezy. I have taken it all the way to 1000 and have compared the binos to my ballistic calculator and ballistic cards and it is spot on.

I was on the fence with buying the binos as the electronic component scared me but now I could imagine hunting without them. The clarity is Alpha...plain and simple. For my eyes I can't tell the difference between the Leica and Swaro...Leica is just heads and tails above everyone else with the ballistic software. The software was created by Gunwerks and is the same as used in the G7 rangefinder. Gunwerks limits the range on the licensed software to 1200 yards for ballistic purposes on the new binos. Mine is only 1000 for ballistic applications...plenty for me. The binos will range much further but won't compute beyond the 1000 (again mine are the older version) but you can still compute dope if you have a program to do so.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I run the HD-B 2000 edition and couldn't be happier. Spot on to 1000 with my .300 win mag data. Shot my sitka blacktail a couple of weeks ago at 410 yards, downhill at about 30 degree angle. I have it set to 1/10 clicks meaning I have a Mil Scope and it is 1/10 mil. (Vortex PST).

Range...410 yards...scope shows C-17...17 clicks....click scope 17 clicks, squeeze the trigger....dead deer.

Pretty easy schmeezy. I have taken it all the way to 1000 and have compared the binos to my ballistic calculator and ballistic cards and it is spot on.

I was on the fence with buying the binos as the electronic component scared me but now I could imagine hunting without them. The clarity is Alpha...plain and simple. For my eyes I can't tell the difference between the Leica and Swaro...Leica is just heads and tails above everyone else with the ballistic software. The software was created by Gunwerks and is the same as used in the G7 rangefinder. Gunwerks limits the range on the licensed software to 1200 yards for ballistic purposes on the new binos. Mine is only 1000 for ballistic applications...plenty for me. The binos will range much further but won't compute beyond the 1000 (again mine are the older version) but you can still compute dope if you have a program to do so.

Your experience pretty much matches what the reviewers found in the article posted above.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have been using the HD-Bs since they came out and have been happy with them. Not a lot of info was available on them when I made my purchase as they were just released. I put them up against the EL Range and saw no difference in glass to my eye, they real reason I went away from the Swaro was the range button was on the left side!
That was an absolute deal breaker for me or probaly all right handed archers wanting an all in one bino/rangefinder. Since then Swaro has moved the button to the right side and I am considering a switch.
Very happy with the HD-B though, I just do not use the ballistic calculator much.

bbrown

WKR
The button on the EL Ranges is still on the left side unless you have some insider info on something to be released. Mine is on the left and it takes some getting used to but I can still glass one handed and reach my finger across to the button. Would be much easier on the right side though...