Spotting Scope Recommendations: Something better than Vortex Razor

aron

WKR
I just returned a gen II Vortex Razor 85mm as I was looking for better glass. Looking for recommendations on Kowa, Maven, Meopta, Swaro, etc. I would really like the 85mm Swaro ATX but that is a lot of coin. Not sure how the Kowa and Maven compare against a ATS HD (probably used). Looking for an objective size in that 75-85mm range. Swaro certainly holds its value and is always the one that other brands gets compared to which says something which makes it difficult to consider other brands without the ability to compare them side by side. So looking for your guys input and recommendations for you guys that have compared some of the mid-top tier spotters.

I just returned a gen II Vortex Razor 85mm as I was looking for better glass. Looking for recommendations on Kowa, Maven, Meopta, Swaro, etc. I would really like the 85mm Swaro ATX but that is a lot of coin. Not sure how the Kowa and Maven compare against a ATS HD (probably used). Looking for an objective size in that 75-85mm range. Swaro certainly holds its value and is always the one that other brands gets compared to which says something which makes it difficult to consider other brands without the ability to compare them side by side. So looking for your guys input and recommendations for you guys that have compared some of the mid-top tier spotters.
In my opinion meopta is the best value in
spotting scopes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
I have the cabelas euro hd spotting scope 20-70x82 which is supposedly just a rebadged meopta meostar. No removable eyepiece so can't use the 30-60 wide angle eyepiece that meopta has. But it is a very good spotting scope. I have compared to a vortex razor and swarvoski sts that i believe was non hd. I am no optics expert but it was clearer and could easily tell it was better optically than the razor and was very similar to the sts.

Also cabelas black friday add is out and it has all cabelas brand optics 25% off.

Bones

WKR
I have heard great things about the 88mm kowa with fluorite crystal glass. I have not spent time behind it, but I do have the offspring (55mm kowa prominar). I know that is a bit bigger objective than you were stating, but is better than the 77 as far as Kowa is concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

aron

WKR
I have been looking at the Meopta meostar s2 with 30-60 wide angle lens. It would be about $300 more than the cabelas branded one. I've heard good things about the Kowa and was looking at the 77 over the 88. I do like the build construction of the Meopta over Kowa with the one large focus wheel and armor coating, especially in colder weather. Haven't seen much regarding Maven scopes.

Schaaf

WKR
I️ put a Kowa 773 with the 25-60x Eyepiece up against an STS 80 HD and the Maven. To my eyes and 2 other friends the Kowa was clearly better. The lack of a rubber armor doesn’t bother me because I️ had a snug cover on my Swaro and I️ have one on my Kowa. It hasn’t been out of the cover once.

I️ would like to compare it to a Meopta.

OP
A

aron

WKR
I️ put a Kowa 773 with the 25-60x Eyepiece up against an STS 80 HD and the Maven. To my eyes and 2 other friends the Kowa was clearly better. The lack of a rubber armor doesn’t bother me because I️ had a snug cover on my Swaro and I️ have one on my Kowa. It hasn’t been out of the cover once.

What did you think out performed the Swaro and Maven? Was it clarity and brightness? How did the Maven compare to the Swaro? Are you just using the Kowa case or have you found a better snug cover?

I would really like to hear about a comparison of the Meopta S2 82 (in both wide angle and the 20-70x lens) compared to the Kowa 77 wide angled. Those are the, I guess you could say 3, scopes I am interested in. The 77 really has my interest due to weight savings. I'd actually like to know how the 77 compared to any 80+mm scope.

I don't know why everyone says the Meopta is such a bargain either, the Meopta version with the wide angle lens is going to cost ~ $2300, no?

Schaaf

WKR
What did you think out performed the Swaro and Maven? Was it clarity and brightness? How did the Maven compare to the Swaro? Are you just using the Kowa case or have you found a better snug cover?

It was pretty much every category. The Kowa had better clarity and field of view. Brightness was on par with the other two but that was expected with the slightly smaller objective. The Kowa also needed focusing far less often. I’ve tried explaining that before but struggle. It just seemed like the Kowa was always in focus regardless of where I was looking and the Maven and Swaro needed fine focusing far more often. I also seemed to prefer the Kowa focus wheel versus the other main body focus wheels. I seem to always bump the Spotter when using the larger body wheels. I am using the Kowa right case and have had no problems with it. It’s not as tight fitting as the Swarovski Stay in Case but it does a very good job.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We are running the angled Kowa TSN-883 with the TE-11WZ Eyepiece with a $500.00 instant rebate reducing it from $3150.00 to $2650.00. IMO, this is the ultimate spotting scope.
Please give me or Neil a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss

Thanks Doug

Aron,

I have a Meoota s2 that I'm happy with but if I had to do it over I'd just pony up for the kowa 883. It's not that much more expensive and weight is within a few ounces. I very rarely lug the S2 with me anyway, I'll probably pick up a 55 kowa eventually for when I want to carry a scope.

The meoptas had a promotion for a while on sport optics where you could get them for about $1800 shipped. Not sure if that is still the case.

OP
A

aron

WKR
Aron,

I have a Meoota s2 that I'm happy with but if I had to do it over I'd just pony up for the kowa 883. It's not that much more expensive and weight is within a few ounces. I very rarely lug the S2 with me anyway, I'll probably pick up a 55 kowa eventually for when I want to carry a scope.

The meoptas had a promotion for a while on sport optics where you could get them for about $1800 shipped. Not sure if that is still the case.

Do you have the 30-60 WA eye piece? Sport Optics has a 15% off sale bringing the S2 down to $2124 so another $500 to pony up for the Kowa. Have you had a chance to compare your S2 against other scopes?

I just called and talked with Neil at Camera Land, pleasant fellow.
I have wavered between the Kowa 883 and the Swaro ATX for a while now. I quit making optics decisions based on costs approx. 45 years ago,
when I got my first set of German binocs.(8x30 Zeiss). I always made the sacrifice in other areas (vehicles, housing, travel, etc.) if necessary.
I have made my latest decision based on reviews and use by folks that I trust , that have used these in settings that are similar to my planned uses.
I ordered the KOWA 883 from Camera Land , and I appreciate the deal that Doug posted here on Rokslide.

Bob