Best 55-65mm lightweight portable spotting scope?

Broomd

WKR
Yeah for the price you would think they would have used the better eyepiece.

Completely agree. For the money involved, Kowa really dropped the ball imho, although the TE-11 would have likely been far too heavy to be practical for a light weight optic.

Also, someone mentioned that the Leica 62 zoom eyepiece was twice the price of the fixed--not true. Any of these 62mm (77mm) eyepieces are all likely pre-owned at this point, and the 16-48 (20-60) runs about $320-ish used, and the fixed varieties typically resell at about $240-250. They are fairly close in price.

OP
M
Completely agree. For the money involved, Kowa really dropped the ball imho, although the TE-11 would have likely been far too heavy to be practical for a light weight optic.

Also, someone mentioned that the Leica 62 zoom eyepiece was twice the price of the fixed--not true. Any of these 62mm (77mm) eyepieces are all likely pre-owned at this point, and the 16-48 (20-60) runs about $320-ish used, and the fixed varieties typically resell at about $240-250. They are fairly close in price.

The only Televid 20-60 currently available is $525 on ebay but after looking at previously sold listings, you are correct.

The Leica is really tempting, I see them going for $8-900 on ebay with the fixed EP. Unfortunately it seems like it may not have the best zoom EP option. If I go with the Kowa I will probably opt for the 60mm version to save some weight, I really like the fact that it goes all the way to 60x even if it is a bit dim, it's handy to have for target shooting. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a fine focus adjustment and I'm leaning toward the Opticron because it has the fine focus adjustment but it's hard to choose between the two.

Link?

Not sure where in California you're located but there is a birding store in Orange County, Optics4birding, that carries both the Opticron MM4 and Kowa 553/6xx. May be worth a quick call to get an idea of what is physically available in the store and see what your eyes find most agreeable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I wouldn't be afraid of a fixed eyepiece, they usually are superior as they are perfected to a single power. If you can wait why not just save up for the Kowa 55, sounds like Luke will have his review out shortly. Use "rokslide" for a discount at sandsarchery.

Review just sent to editor so shouldn't be too much longer now....but here is a teaser pic:
qLGTcmz.jpg