Rangefinder (primarily) for bow hunting

So my vortex 1000 is giving me some grief. Not cutting on. Brightness cycling through settings randomly. I have contacted them and they offered for me to send it in, which I will try after season.

In the meantime, I have been thinking it may be time for an upgrade.

Use and desired features:

Primarily bow hunting
- Hunting shots 20-60 yards
- target / 3D out to 100
- Angle compensation under 100 is a must and the faster the better
- 1 handed operation also a must

Rifle
- shots of 500 and under yards
- I do 1-2 rifle hunts a year and keep shot under 300
- target work out to 500
- up to a 1000 is a plus but only as a novelty feature

Budget
I don’t want to overspend but want this to be a buy once thing as my primary rangefinder.

I have been reading the threads on here but wanted to get some thoughts from a different angle based on my use primarily as a bow hunting rangefinder.

Here are some thoughts:

- Vortex: the 1500 is newer. Not sure it’s better. I like their warranty but not confident to double down after the 1000experience.
- Sig - 2200 seems to have a lot of issues with cold and quite a few function problems. I don’t want to trade one problem for another.
- Leica 1600 or 2000 - I can’t tell if these would work for bow hunting. The 2 second delay for angle comp I read about seems like a bad deal. Some of my shots are close and fast. Should I look at the 1000?
- leupold - ex 1200 seems cheapest and fits the bill. I have some leupold scopes so I think it could match the ballistic data to my glass.

brocksw

WKR
So my vortex 1000 is giving me some grief. Not cutting on. Brightness cycling through settings randomly. I have contacted them and they offered for me to send it in, which I will try after season.

In the meantime, I have been thinking it may be time for an upgrade.

Use and desired features:

Primarily bow hunting
- Hunting shots 20-60 yards
- target / 3D out to 100
- Angle compensation under 100 is a must and the faster the better
- 1 handed operation also a must

Rifle
- shots of 500 and under yards
- I do 1-2 rifle hunts a year and keep shot under 300
- target work out to 500
- up to a 1000 is a plus but only as a novelty feature

Budget
I don’t want to overspend but want this to be a buy once thing as my primary rangefinder.

I have been reading the threads on here but wanted to get some thoughts from a different angle based on my use primarily as a bow hunting rangefinder.

Here are some thoughts:

- Vortex: the 1500 is newer. Not sure it’s better. I like their warranty but not confident to double down after the 1000experience.
- Sig - 2200 seems to have a lot of issues with cold and quite a few function problems. I don’t want to trade one problem for another.
- Leica 1600 or 2000 - I can’t tell if these would work for bow hunting. The 2 second delay for angle comp I read about seems like a bad deal. Some of my shots are close and fast. Should I look at the 1000?
- leupold - ex 1200 seems cheapest and fits the bill. I have some leupold scopes so I think it could match the ballistic data to my glass.
Leupold 1200 is a great rf, much better than the ranger 1000 imo.

Leica is better in some ways but will obviously cost you more. I believe it's more consistent and less finicky than most lesser RFs. One caveat to remember is that the Leica will have a 1 second delay to spit out the correct range for your cut. In other words, hit the button and it immediately gives you the linear distance, 1 second later it gives you the cut yardage. Took me a while to get used to waiting for the second number.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

goetzc

FNG
I have had no issues with my Sig.

I use it Oct-Dec in MN for archery and WI gun season so typically my longest shots are at the range up to 300.
Temps have been below 0* and it’s worked flawlessly. I do usually hang it around my neck and tuck inside my jacket when not in use so it’s not getting super cold.

OP
Desk Jockey
I think I am going to go sig. the speed of scanning with angle compensation wins me over. The Leica is just too spendy for me since my shots are going to be inside 500 and mostly in bow range The 1 second delay for angle compensation is a problem. Cabelas has the 2200 for $350. Between cabelas and sig I ought to be able to sort it out if it doesn’t work.

I have been using a sig 2000 for almost a year now and have been very impressed with it. The continuous reading, automatic reticle brightness, and angle compensation are great. The furthest I've ever been able to get it to range is around 1500 yds.

Lawnboi

WKR
No problem with my sig. hasn't gotten real cold yet this year but it worked in single digits a few weeks ago. Fast readout, easy to see, scans well.

Zero problems with my Leupold TBR1000i over the past 5 seasons of bowhunting and "surveying" around our house build. I use it preferential over my Leica 1000 R which is too slow on the horizontal distance data, and doesn't give horizontal distance in scan mode.

The newer Leupold TBR1200i has a longer yardage laser and appears very similar to my 1000. It will do everything you ask in your original post. Good luck with your choice!

ahcraig87

FNG
Another vote for Sig 2000, mine has been great. From hunting in the midwest in cold temps to western elk and antelope.

Had the Leopold 1200 before the Sig. It was a good one too, my only complaint is that the display is incredibly bright.

OP
Desk Jockey
So I bought the sig 2200 for $350 at cabelas.

Then I sent the vortex for a warranty repair. Dropped it in the mail Saturday. By Friday I had a brand new ranger 1000 at the house.

The sig is on a different level. Range is close to instant It scans in nearly real time. Ranges to 350 yards in low light. Although I miss the pocket clip on the ranger, the sig is superior in nearly every other way.

I think I am going to sell the ranger or maybe keep it as a back up. My first one wasn’t a capable or as expensive as the sig but it was a good piece of gear. I honestly can’t say enough good thinks about vortex customer service also. Makes me think about keeping it but I already have the sig and it is definitely an upgrade, albeit with a higher price point.

WRO

WKR
So I bought the sig 2200 for $350 at cabelas.

Then I sent the vortex for a warranty repair. Dropped it in the mail Saturday. By Friday I had a brand new ranger 1000 at the house.

The sig is on a different level. Range is close to instant It scans in nearly real time. Ranges to 350 yards in low light. Although I miss the pocket clip on the ranger, the sig is superior in nearly every other way.

I think I am going to sell the ranger or maybe keep it as a back up. My first one wasn’t a capable or as expensive as the sig but it was a good piece of gear. I honestly can’t say enough good thinks about vortex customer service also. Makes me think about keeping it but I already have the sig and it is definitely an upgrade, albeit with a higher price point.
I had an issue with my original 2000, I sent it in and had a new one in less than a week.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AZElk

FNG
I would say I recommend the Sig 2000, I have a little experience with it but come next pay check I will be buying one.