Looking for best long range scope (600yds) for <$1000

xmanpike

FNG
I'm in the process of buying a Cooper rifle in 300 Win Mag and want to top with a deserving scope. I have never bought a scope over $300, most of mine are Leupold, Burris FFII, and lower priced Sightrons.

Right now I am eyeing the Swarovski Z3 4-12x with the Ballistic Turret. It runs about $899 and has fantastic reviews as well as the ability to set three other ranges of zero with the turret.

Do any of you have experience with this scope or know of something similar or better in the price range. This will by far be my most expensive rifle/scope combo and want to get it right.

Thanks for any information.

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
I just put the same Z3 on a Browning X-Bolt 6.5 creedmoore. I freaking love that thing! Also have a VX-3 cdss on a Tikka and the swaro just completely out classes the leupold.

dotman

WKR
X2 on the nightforce shv, get the 3-10x42 from one shot gear and let them know your from rokslide for a discount. I had a swaro z3 bt and the glass on the NF is just as good with more reliable mechanics inside it.

Or look at the Sig Whiskey 5, this is another option.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I had a swaro z3 bt and the glass on the NF is just as good with more reliable mechanics inside it.

I will echo what dotman said, its all about reliability if your going to be spinning turrets. I don't believe I have I come across someone saying a Nightforce didn't track. That can't be said for just about every other company at this price point at some point in time. There might be slightly better glass out there but turrets come first for me.

Last edited:
OP
X

xmanpike

FNG
Appreciate the responses guys. The NF looks like a heck of a scope and most people love it aside from a few saying short eye relief.

Lawnboi

WKR
No problems with my shv 4-14. I do wish I had an exposed elevation turret with a zero stop though, no complaints otherwise.

While I'm no optics or shooting expert, I did have a z3 and z5 prior to the shv. I kept the shv.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, got rid of my Swaro Z6 w/ ballistic turret too......three set distances just wasn't practical. I am now running the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5x27......not sure you can find another HD scope with all the features the Ares has for under $1k.

dotman

WKR
Appreciate the responses guys. The NF looks like a heck of a scope and most people love it aside from a few saying short eye relief.

The 3-10x42 has great eye relief, better then their other models. It isn't an issue for me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a 3-10X42 NF SHV on my 6.5 Barrett. Great little scope and the eye box is certainly more forgiving than my 5.5-22 NF NXS.