Leupold Santiam 15x56 reviews??

Was wondering if anyone has had a chance to really disect these things optically. I can’t find any reviews and only one youtube video, the guy is sponsored by them so of course he praises them.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I haven't looked through them but just something to note about these is there is no way to mount a Bino stud on them. They failed to include that on a bio that you would put on a tripod. That sealed the deal for me to make it off my list of possibles.

I use a bino "tray" on Leica Geovid 15 x 56 binos. Homemade tray in my case but Leupold sells one for $20 or so. Works fine so not a deal killer if you want binos that don't accept a stud.

TheCougar

WKR
I haven't looked through them but just something to note about these is there is no way to mount a Bino stud on them. They failed to include that on a bio that you would put on a tripod. That sealed the deal for me to make it off my list of possibles.

You have got to be kidding me.

Last edited:

This is incorrect. I just picked up a pair and there is a removable threaded cap on the rear hinge. 1/4-20 threads.
There is a you tube video and someone has an outdoorsmans stud on them also.
The tray that comes with them is useless but does work great on my 10x42 which do not have threads.
This is my first pair of 15x56 and I am very pleased. The glass is great quality. I have looked through some swaro 15x56 before but it was mid day at a shooting range. I've also looked through Zeiss, Leica, Vortex and Meopta HD 10x42.
I would imagine that the santiam HD are on the same level as the Kaibab, Maven, Zeiss and Meopta 15s.

Last edited:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
This is incorrect. I just picked up a pair and there is a removable threaded cap on the rear hinge. 1/4-20 threads.
There is a you tube video and someone has an outdoorsmans stud on them also.
The tray that comes with them is useless but does work great on my 10x42 which do not have threads.
This is my first pair of 15x56 and I am very pleased. The glass is great quality. I have looked through some swaro 15x56 before but it was mid day at a shooting range. I've also looked through Zeiss, Leica, Vortex and Meopta HD 10x42.
I would imagine that the santiam HD are on the same level as the Kaibab, Maven, Zeiss and Meopta 15s.
They worked great on my Wyoming and Nebraska hunts! I highly recommend considering them with the others.
2fc194d9c81fe67e647ff8561a6135af.jpg

So this guy was full of Sh!T then.

LEUPOLD SANTIAM BX-5 15X56 MM - YouTube Thats where I saw it and said nope. Someone should talk to him.

Haha that is the same guy that has the video with an outdoorsman stud on the santiams. It's the next video link.
Some of these YouTube sensations have absolutely useless reviews.

They definitely do have the 1/4-20 threads on the rear hinge.

twall13

WKR
From his Instagram.
207c96893a57a0323fc5c3a15c508b0a.jpg

I'll also note that he used to use Swaros before he became sponsored by Leopold. Take that however you like. Overall I think Zac is a good guy but he definitely pushes products.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
I understood him to say in the first vid they hadn’t went on sale yet, so there is a chance he had a prototype that didn’t have the stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thanks for the responses everyone, yeah it’s interesting that only that one guy has anything to say about them considering they’ve been out a while now. Maybe rockslide could do a shootout between maven, meopta, zeiss and finally leupold in 15x56’s since they all tend to be in the same price range.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I understood him to say in the first vid they hadn’t went on sale yet, so there is a chance he had a prototype that didn’t have the stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah your probably right Grumman. I didn't pay to much attention after I saw this Video of his and crossed them off immediately.

Definitely didn't make a heck of a lot of sense why someone would make a 15x56 and not put a stud hole in them.

WRO

WKR
From his Instagram.
207c96893a57a0323fc5c3a15c508b0a.jpg

I'll also note that he used to use Swaros before he became sponsored by Leopold. Take that however you like. Overall I think Zac is a good guy but he definitely pushes products.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Money changes everything...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk