Leica binos - needing some advice!

Hello everyone, first time poster here. Been looking at some new binos - Leica and Swarovski. I compared my top choices (Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 and the Swarovski SLC 10x42), and while the Swaros were definitely a notch above, the Leica binos performed extremely well in low light conditions and were just a slight notch below. Since the Leica was over $700 cheaper, I felt they were a solid choice.

The Leica Trinovid HD were already at a good price point ($999), but I decided I wanted to shop around and see if I could maybe find a deal since I do not need them immediately. In the process, I found some really good deals on prior gen. binos.

• I found a new Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 for $895. Very good deal on the bino I wanted.
  • But then I also had an opportunity to get the prior gen Leica Trinovid 10x42 for around $700 pre-owned in good condition. Amazing deal from what I can tell. I've noticed a lot of folks here say the prior version of the Trinovid is better glass than the new HD. I really liked the new HD but does anyone have any insight as to whether I should seriously consider the prior Trinovid?
  • Then I also came across an opportunity to buy the prior version of Swaro SLC 10x42 for around $1200 pre-owned and in good condition. Does anyone have any insight as to how the prior version of Swaro might compare to the new gen bino I looked through in the store or how the prior version Swaro SLC might stack up against the Leica Trinovid HD in low light conditions?
  • Then, to totally cluster everything up, I found what in reality seems like an amazing deal on a pair of Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 (new gen) for $900 pre-owned and in like-new condition. I have never looked through this glass, but I have heard good things and this seems like a killer deal. My problem is that I wanted 10 power binos, so I can have a single bino that is capable of doing long distance glassing as well as treestand bowhunting. But this seems like a killer deal.

Does anyone have any insight on the older gen of Leica, on the models listed above, or advice as to what choice I should make? These all seem like excellent deals.

OP
M
Also there is a pair of prior gen. Leica Ultravid 10x42 Safari Edition binos on Ebay for $1000. Anyone have any insight on this model and the prior version of Ultravid (non-HD Plus)?

dotman

WKR
My vote, Leica Ultravid HD. 8x42's will not reduce your glass if ability vs 10's at all.

LegShot

FNG
My vote is for Swaro based on the quality of both their optics and customer service.

handwerk

WKR
Not a bad choice in the bunch, both my son's have the non HD Trinovids that I bought them when Doug was closing them out, they are fantastic binos. If you do go Leica I would buy new and only from an authorized Leica dealer so you make sure you're covered by a legit warranty.
Swaros are rarely ever a mistake....

I am currently running the Leica Trinovid HD 10x42s and I am very happy with them.
Compared them to razors, Conquest and meopro HD side by side and they were the best. Lighter and more compact also.
One thing to note is that they do not offer 1/4-20 threads which sucks. The hinge is threaded but it is some small odd ball size that Leica said they didn't even know the spec.
I use a strap mount and they are awesome on a tripod.

AGPank

WKR
I have the prior gen Leica 10x42. Really like them. I do pick up some CA under certain conditions. I had the earlier model SLC was still HD, very good. Everything I read is that the prior SLC HD and current are armor changes and close focus. The prior SLC HD was a $2200 retail vs the current model $1750. SONA must have changed something. I’d give those the edge over the Trinovid. Many value the earlier model Trinovid over the current. It was a $1600 retail bino vs the current $1000 model. That one you found for $700 would be tough to beat if price is a driver. The $1200 SLC is tough to beat no matter the money you spend.

I have ultravid hd 12x50, excellent glass. Eliminate the CA problem I have in the Trinovid. It’s really splitting hairs between an ultravid HD and SLC HD. Probably more personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGPank

WKR
Oh and there are 3 levels of ultravid. 1st gen non-hd(reviews are similar to previous gen Trinovid).
HD (white lettering)
HD+ (red lettering).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I have ultravid HD in 10x50. I can attest to the stunning factory customer service. Leica took care of me without any hassle. 100% my fault too!

You have some great options. I would look into customer service on second hand purchases tho.

WRO

WKR
If they're the older model slchds, buy them. One of the best optics made imho.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Great insights by everyone here.

If you are really hard on your glass and would use it constantly, go Swaro SLC.
Otherwise the Leica's are a great choice; they are an excellent optic, especially for close to half the price of the SLC HD.

I currently have and use a pair of Leica Trinovid 7 x 40 BA’s that I have had for 25 years. If they make them tougher i would like to see them. Most of my hunting would be glassing 300 yards or less so the 7x is plenty for me. They are still very clear and perform flawlessly after being drug and thrown around for a long time. Not knocking the Swaros as I have not owned/used them. I continue to be happy with the Leicas. Good luck with your search/decision.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I have the prior trinos, great glass and pretty bombproof. However i had to send them in and it was a nightmare. If buying used i would absolutely go with swaro. Even with warranty, my experience about turned me away. Next glass i will be going with swaro or zeiss.