How quickly does optics technology improve

rk_trad

FNG
Are early 2000 versions of swaro's just as good as the new stuff or have there been constant innovation improving the quality of the binos?

I'm also wondering into the future (barring some major discovery), how quickly will top of the line binos of today be second rate?

Thanks for any education you can provide.

Thanks,

AGPank

WKR
Early 2000's are 15 + years old. My opinion is that over this time improvements have been significant. Lens and prism coatings improve and enhance light transmission. I think control of chromatic aberration has improved too.

I have today's top end and can't imagine seeing better than the view offered, but feel 10-15 years is reasonable. My guess on improvement could be smaller lighter versions of image stabilization (like Canon). Maybe integrating a camera into the unit?

Last edited:

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
It would be interesting to see a side by side review of a 2017 pair of Swaro 10x42 El's to the top version of 10x42 swaro's from say year 2000

Anyone have both that could shed some light? Is there a blow you out of the water difference?

We have 2003 and 2012 10x42 ELs at the house. My wife took possession of my ‘03s so I had to buy the Swarovisions. There is a significant improvement to my eyes in the newer glass. Some gain undoubtedly due to being new versus 9 years of wear on the old binoculars coatings. However the SV glass is crisper, and really clear to the edge versus the ‘03 glass. The SVs are almost 4 ounces heavier on my scale too, extra lens and a different barrels which is a negative. As a side note, I’d say the same thing about non-HD 20-60x65 Swaro spotters versus the HD version. The HD scopes are crisper, especially at max power to my eye. Good luck with your choice!