Spotting Scope recommendation

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
After my first trip to Colorado to hunt, I am looking to add a spotting scope to my pack. Lots of great choices out there, and if it were not for weight/money, I would probably be done already.

Here are some of my issues that make it difficult to choose:

I wear glasses, have deep set eyes, and a lot of astigmatism. What that means is without glasses, I cannot ever get it fully 'razor' crisp. Its always just a little off.

With glasses, I cannot get enough eye relief to see the whole magnification range on most scopes. The exception on what I have been able to look through so far is the Cabelas/Meopta Euro and the Leupold Gold Ring.

Money: I am not in the Swaro class. Just can't get there. Hoping to keep it under 1500, but realize that may not happen. Very open to used.

Weight: I really like the Cabelas/Meopta. Seemed bright, sharp, I could see all the way to the edge at top power. But its an 82, and just at 4 lbs. I am going to pack this, so I think I will need a significantly lighter option.

From what I can gather, I need about 17mm of eye relief to see. I am only guessing this because on a big Razor , I can see edge to edge up to maybe 25 or 30mm, and they list their eye relief as starting at 17mm and going down to the 16's. For this reason, the new Kowa 55 appears out of the running....eye relief is too short. The Meopta claims 18mm across the range.

The Leupold is light, has the eye relief etc....but the glass, especially for the money....does not seem right. Not that it is useless, obviously, but I want better glass than they are offering there. I already have a cheap spotter for use at the range. POS is useless as the sun starts to fall.

I have looked at various other options, not found anything with the eye relief/weight I am hoping for...without even thinking about cost. Any suggestions would be much appreciated...FYI, as far as size, I am very open...but lighter is better and I don't want something that is useless at first and last light because of size or quality. Nor is something that I leave at camp because it is too heavy useful, so I guess balance is the way to go here.

Thanks!

Owenst7

WKR
Take a look at a vanguard endeavor in a 65mm if you can. Mine has worked well with glasses and the weight is decent. I've been using it for sheep here in NV recently and haven't felt like a bigger objective is necessary. I'm backpacking everywhere so you're not going to catch me carrying a 4 lbs anything.

I also have an astigmatism in both eyes. Do you/can you wear contacts? I hated them ten years ago because they rotated all the time. I tried them again in the last year and they were much better. I've started using them on shorter trips and it's really nice to not have dirty eyeglass lenses and they're obviously easier to use with optics.

My friend has an old meopta 65 and it is also very nice. Possibly a bit brighter than mine, but neither of us felt hamstrung at ~1 mile at sunset identifying rams.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Kowa 55 series or used Leica or Swaro 65, all can be had within your budget.

Weight wise just stay between 60 - 70 on the objective. I personally wouldn't waste the money on a set below that , like the Vortex razor 50's, as I would just get binos and have a better set up. That's just me others may like them, - to me they seem to be a waste.

The leicas can be had for your budget, as can the 60 razors and even some Swaro 65's as well as other better than Vortex brands

I personally would look into binos that are 12x50- That is kind of the all around middle of the road do all set up for back pack hunting in blow down, yet open drainages. Spotters would be better for certain areas no doubt, but if weight, cost and bulk are concerns the 12x50 binos kind of meet all those in the middle. It would probably save you a few lbs as well, and can be used in multiple scenarios.

Good binos on a tripod are incredible. They allow you to spot stuff you would miss with out the tripod.

OP
C

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses!

Concerning contacts, actually in the middle of that at the moment. Softs were a fail (again), so they are getting me a hybrid soft/hard. Problem with that was that they could not get them OUT of my eye without much trouble when we tried them, so that may be a non-starter.

As to binos on a tripod, was thinking about that, but really want more power than 12. I already have Zeiss 10x FL's, so was hoping to jump into a significantly higher range.

I'll see if I can find any of the Vanguards, and also try some Leica's and Swaro 65's...Cabelas here does have the Swaro's....can at least check eye relief, even if I cannot afford the current models. I'll also probably be at DSC in January, should be lots of optics folks there for me to try their stuff out.