I'm now sold on bino's on a tripod, which bino's though?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got to spend this entire season using my 10x42's (Leupold Goldrings) with (and without) a tripod. I left the spotter at home and am now a believer in binos on a tripod. I could pick up elk/deer much better/quicker with the wider field of view and little to no eye strain. It really works well, but would like to move up the power and objective a little.

I'm pretty sure I want 12x's vs 15x's for the field of view, the ability to use them by hand when needed and lighter weight????

Budget in the $1000-ish range. I'll probably purchase used or possibly a demo pair to maximize my $.

Binos I need to check out?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Mike, IM on this same kick right now. By no means am I an optics expert here, but figured Id tell you about my journey. I just received Maven 11x45s and Im a huge fan now. We put them against my buddies Leica's and they are brighter and better color. I highly recommend demoing them and see what you think. Before I was always looking at Swaros as the end all be all. These Mavens has me rethinking that way of thinking =-)

There are a set of 11x45s for sale now in classifieds.

WyoElk

WKR
Swaro SLC’s along with that gold ring spotter and you should be pretty set. Watch the classifieds. You will never regret buying Swaros.

If you team the 10’s with a spotter I can’t imaging anything your going to miss.

mcseal2

WKR
I currently use 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B binos off the tripod when I'm worried about weight, 15x56 Swaros off the tripod when I'm not. Both work well but I really like the extra magnification of the 15's. If one of the really good optics companies brought out a tripod mountable 12x50 rangefinding bino I'd sell both of mine and buy it. For now I usually pack both when hunting deer, just the 10x and spotter for elk.

I also pack a Kowa 55mm spotting scope. It's an awesome spotter for the size/weight. It performs close enough to my Swaro ATS 80 spotter I haven't carried the big one since I got it, the big one stays on the window mount for glassing from the vehicle. It's plenty good to size up a critter I found in the 15x Swaros I glass with most, and it being so light lets me carry the 15x binos more often.

Of the 12x50ish binos on the market worth checking out in that price range are the Vortex Razor HDs, Meopta Meostar/Cabelas Euro HD, GPO Passion HD (12.5x50) and then the Maven B2 (11x45). I've looked through all but the Mavens and have found them to be pretty similar in image, though others would swear the Razors are trash (I've only looked through Japanese made Razors). I personally didn't notice a worthwhile difference. Definitely demo a pair of Maven B2s, it's free if you send them back within the allotted time. I plan to do so myself at some point. Perhaps during the AZ archery deer season this coming January...

WRO

WKR
Used meostars at that price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bones

WKR
Those euros are the non HD, still good glass, but worth noting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the advice thus far :) Had never even heard of GPO, so that’s a new one. I can definitely get my hands on the Razors and good to know I can give the Maven’s a whirl as well.

boom

WKR
when shopping binos..explore the options available that let you even attach them to the tripod. the methods vary..and could add unexpected cost. just saying.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah my Leupold’s don’t attach via a thread like some- I purchased their elastic/Velcro setup which works pretty good- I think a threaded attachment would be better yet

I made a base from Corian with a bungie cord for my Leupolds. Works fine, and easy to swap to the spotter when I need a closer look. Personally, I have no need for bigger b'nocs.....

I’d suggest a pair of Meopta B1 15x56 meostar HD, they are European glass and quality but at a much cheaper price than the big three (Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski). Heard good things about Maven also, but myself have not had a chance to look thru some. Or buy used swaros can’t go wrong there either

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Buy swarovski.
Find a way to get the cash or save and wait.
You will thank me later.

////What he said \\\\\\\\
The turning point for me is: look at the resale price of used Swarovski glass, any glass. Its worth the investment knowing they hold value over time and its what everything else is measures against for binos/spotting scope quality.

NwLegends

FNG
I’ve used my 12x50 vortex diamond backs on close range tree stand hunts in Minnesota and Glasses caribou at 5 miles in AK and tons of Mountain Hunting the west. I love them! I don’t use a tripod usually flop down on the ground and use an elbow on the ground for stabilization....

I’ve considered bigger tripod binoculars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk