Kaibab binos: edge-to-edge clarity and color fringing

blkqi

WKR
Optics Experts of Rokslide,

any constructive commentary in this matter would be much appreciated. I am not trying to initiate yet another Vortex-is-overrated-in-optical-quality thread.

I've been carrying a Kaibab 15x bino for all of my spot-and-stalk hunting for the last three years. This has worked for me for hunting in the northwest for all elevations from desert to alpine. I complement these with a Kowa 88 spotter for longer sits at higher powers.

This season I spent a lot more time with the Kaibab's on the tripod. What I discovered is that they just do not impress me anymore. I am getting poor clarity and contrast towards the edge of the FOV, color fringes in twilight, and low optical resolution at dusk/dawn.

I don't expect my bino to do everything my spotter can do, but am I wrong to expect better optical quality than this? And if not, how much do I have to spend?

Is it possible the Kaibab's are out of collimation (even though I just sent them in for service during the last off season)?

Can anyone experienced with both brands give me a solid comparison of Vortex to Zeiss/Swaro/Meopta/other, especially as it relates to optical abberations? Has anyone done a scientific, or even just a qualitative photographic, comparison of the major brands available?

Regards,
BLK

I've looked through a few pairs of kaibabs and what you described is spot on. I felt the "sweet spot" was very small, and even in the center the image wasn't incredibly sharp. I don't have any pics but I have compared a lot of 15s and the meopta/swaro/zeiss are in a whole different universe than the Kaibab. I like my 10 year old porro prism Docters much better than the kaibabs.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately the path to optical experience is paved with thousands upon thousands. I would look hard for a handful of online reviewers whose prose you understand, and whose credibility is intact. Short of putting up glass against glass in the same conditions there's no great way to go about sorting wheat, chaff, and value.

efnm

WKR
I saw the same thing when I compared my Kaibabs to meoptas. Even my wife could notice it clearly, with better color and sharpness across more of the image.

Sadler

WKR
I had the exact same problem. It seemed like I could never get a fine tune focus on anything. I thought they were suppose to be some sort of amazing glass for a great price. Nope. Sold them as soon as I could.

TravKatQ

WKR
I experienced the same problem when I owned a pair of kaibab’s and once I looked through a pair of swaro’s it made more aware of the poor clarity. Small window of sharpness and poor clarity on the edges of FOV. Upgraded to swaro’s and never looked back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Vortex isn't know for having great edge to edge.

The Swaro SLC 15x56 are a major step up in terms of edge to edge clarity.

OP
blkqi

blkqi

WKR
Folks,

thanks for all the feedback. You all have confirmed my impression of this optic. It looks like I will be in the market for a new 15xer this off-season. To start, I am going to be taking a close look at the Zeiss Conquest HD.

I would like to add that I have received nothing short of exemplary customer service from Vortex over the years, and this is one aspect that I expect no other brand could match.

BLK

CorbLand

WKR
Folks,

thanks for all the feedback. You all have confirmed my impression of this optic. It looks like I will be in the market for a new 15xer this off-season. To start, I am going to be taking a close look at the Zeiss Conquest HD.

I would like to add that I have received nothing short of exemplary customer service from Vortex over the years, and this is one aspect that I expect no other brand could match.

BLK

The Conquests are a great piece of glass, especially for the price tag that you can get them at. They would be a solid choice over all.

I think you will be surprised at the quality of customer service you will receive from other companies. I can say from first hand experience that the customer service I received when dealing with Swaro was fantastic. They did everything they said the would, significantly faster than I expected. I wish I could say the same from my dealings with Vortex, its be garbage to put it simply.

WRO

WKR
Folks,

BLK

I'm not super hot on the conquests either, they are still Asian glass and don't cut the mustard that well in comparison to the Swaro's or Meoptas.

My buddy had his 5 year old non hd Euros break, took them into Cabelas and they gave him a brand new set of HD's no questions asked.

Having ran the 15s for a couple years, I much prefer the EL 12x50's to everything I've owned to date which is a rather long list.

WRO

WKR
Folks,

BLK
There is a set of 15 euros posted on the classified that maybe worth a look

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AZElk

FNG
I agree that on the Kaibab's the point of best focus is about a 10-15 foot circle at 500 yards. I have never had pain that is a completely focused image. I have also had a few times where I wanted to throw them off a mountain because I feel that they are too touchy when focusing and the eye cups are loose in my opinion.