Vortex Razor 10x42 worth it?

WRO

WKR
In that price range, there is a lot of good glass to consider, the Meopta Meostars, Maven B2, and nikon monarch HG, are good options. I'd also look hard at used alpha, I picked up a set of Victory HT's for 1250 with a tripod adapter, I've seen SLC HD's used for close to that price as well. IMHO, those all out perform optically the Razors with good warranties as well.

As a western hunter trying to judge animals in low light spending as much as u can muster on glass is always worth it imo
If you have a cabelas close go there with your binos 30 min before dark and ask them to take the razors outside with you and compare them back to back in the lowering light. They have always been good about going outside with me when I'm looking at optics. If you don't have a Cabelas ask what ever you do have for a dealer.
If they are better you should be able to see testing this way.
Imo there cabelas euro has good glass to but I did not like the ergonomics.
Last I seen I thought they were on sale too.

dotman

WKR
Why vortex razors?? Zeiss conquest and meopta meostar hd can both be found for 600$ or so and in certain aspects out perform alpha glass..

Interesting being I’ve had both of these and alpha, what aspects out performed the alpha glass? While both are very good options they do not out perform alpha glass from my experience.

dotman

WKR
WRO, yes! But I'm also a very serious hunter, as I mentioned above I have Swaros & Razors, I'm not speculating when I say these two optics are extremely close optically. The OP was asking if Razors may be a good choice for his hunts, In my opinion, absolutely! I've spent hours behind both & I still choose the Razors for the reasons above. Swaros are nice for sure but not for double the price. For guys looking for decent glass that most likely will not be used more than 4 weeks a year it's tough to pay 2000.00 for something not necessary. In the end it's the OP's decision, just sharing my findings.

ElkNut/Paul

I agree we all have our opinions and after having mid grade optics from a numbers of manufactures imo, it is worth spending the extra on the higher end optics if you spend hours behind your glass. Not sure why you would baby swaros unless you just want a dramatic lead in to the vortex warranty, by no means should you baby swaro, you’ll insult them as their product is meant to be used hard. Their customer service and warranty while not just going to send you a new made in China product will repair your product to like non condition for free or a small fee.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
I agree we all have our opinions and after having mid grade optics from a numbers of manufactures imo, it is worth spending the extra on the higher end optics if you spend hours behind your glass. Not sure why you would baby swaros unless you just want a dramatic lead in to the vortex warranty, by no means should you baby swaro, you’ll insult them as their product is meant to be used hard. Their customer service and warranty while not just going to send you a new made in China product will repair your product to like non condition for free or a small fee.

Tim, spot on. Thankyou

ElkNut1

WKR
The point was that the Razors are that good, the additional reasons were a plus! I've read for a while now where others had written how Swaros & such blow away the Razors. Being a Razor owner & a serious hunter I felt maybe I was missing out big time so I purchased a set of 10X42 SV Swaros from a great guy here on Rokslide. I've owned them just under a year & have made countless comparisons with them & the Razors under every situation possible, they are so close that I choose the Razors! Anyone looking for some Swaros, I'm selling these! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

boom

WKR
i find it interesting how without knowing an individual financial situation we can tell them "buy once, cry once".

screw that! i know a guy that charged his Swarvo binos. he loves them..and yes they are a great pair of binoculars. that following Christmas, he had to sell crap to buy his kid gifts.

buy once cry once means different things.. i think Razors are a great pair of binculars. very clear, very light. and a GREAT bang for the buck..which is saying alot,since they are still very very expensive.

mrh1797

FNG
WRO, yes! But I'm also a very serious hunter, as I mentioned above I have Swaros & Razors, I'm not speculating when I say these two optics are extremely close optically. The OP was asking if Razors may be a good choice for his hunts, In my opinion, absolutely! I've spent hours behind both & I still choose the Razors for the reasons above. Swaros are nice for sure but not for double the price. For guys looking for decent glass that most likely will not be used more than 4 weeks a year it's tough to pay 2000.00 for something not necessary. In the end it's the OP's decision, just sharing my findings.

ElkNut/Paul

I also own 10x42 Razors and 10x42 Swaro EL. My Razors have served me very well and are incredible for the money. I must note my Razors were made in Japan, the Chinese made arent as good in my opinion. Swaro is obviously "better" but for the value I think the Razor is top notch. my .02....

I have a pair of 10x42 Razor HDs made in Japan and they've served me well for the price (I paid $715 on eBay a couple years ago). I just returned from my late season Arizona elk hunt, and while I've considered upgrading to swaros or mavens, I never once felt like I was missing any animals.

If it helps in making your decision to upgrade from the Leupolds, my Japanese made Razor HDs feel brighter than my bare eyes in low light. They're the first pair of binos I've owned that did that. I'll pull up my binos and the image will be brighter than I expect in the evenings. Try that with your Leupolds and if that's not the case then perhaps it's worth the money for you.

Billinsd

WKR
i find it interesting how without knowing an individual financial situation we can tell them "buy once, cry once".

screw that! i know a guy that charged his Swarvo binos. he loves them..and yes they are a great pair of binoculars. that following Christmas, he had to sell crap to buy his kid gifts.

buy once cry once means different things.. i think Razors are a great pair of binculars. very clear, very light. and a GREAT bang for the buck..which is saying alot,since they are still very very expensive.
I totally agree and have also cried a river buying good stuff. I "usually" buy the very best or second best stuff. I rember looking through my sheep guides Swarovski spotting scope. I think it was when the 80mm just came out, about 9 years ago. Yes, it was awsome, yes it was great, yes, it was slightly, noticably, better than his 65mm Swarovski scope. There was no way I wouls buy that scope, way to expensive for my budget for the amount of use I'd get out of it. In fact I didn't but a spotter at all. For my guide it was a very wise investment. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use your own good judgment. Know your financial situation and please think of your family's needs. I guess I'm real stubborn and hard headed. Howerver, I interpret "buy once cry once" as, this product is worth the extra money down the road if you are going to use it. Then I do my cost/benefit analysis and if the answer is less than zero enough, if it's worth it to me, and if I afford it, I'll usually buy it. That's just me, though, and I'm a cheap frugal bastard that demands the best and yes I know that's baffling!! :D

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
The point was that the Razors are that good, the additional reasons were a plus! I've read for a while now where others had written how Swaros & such blow away the Razors. Being a Razor owner & a serious hunter I felt maybe I was missing out big time so I purchased a set of 10X42 SV Swaros from a great guy here on Rokslide. I've owned them just under a year & have made countless comparisons with them & the Razors under every situation possible, they are so close that I choose the Razors! Anyone looking for some Swaros, I'm selling these! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul
And you are a very logical, honest, great hunter, who hunts a lot. That says a lot to me.

WRO

WKR
Side by side, the is slightly above the 600.00 level glass. It doesn't have the edge to edge clarity, resolution, neutral colors rendition, CA control that you're going to find in a set of Meostars, Maven B1's or any of the Alpha glass.

If you're hunting archery elk or timber elk, it doesn't matter that much as Optics are not the most important thing for that style of hunt. When it comes to mule deer, coues, sheep that aren't white, it makes a significant difference. I'm pretty lucky to spend 30 to 40 days a year in the field, half of guiding so I peek through everyone's glass when I get the chance.

It doesn't matter if you're budget is 600 or 6000, one should always try to get the best value for their money spent.