Leupold CDS

Kotaman

WKR
Not wanting to steal the thread but I'm looking at replacing a couple Leupold CDS scopes with Swarovski z5 Ballistic Turrets. Any issues with the Swarovski BT's?

I’m slowly replacing my Z5’s and Z3’s as well. Though they seem a little more consistent than the Leupold CDS system, they are still not a true “dialer”. Since these scopes came out, I’ve broke one turret (Swarovski replaced it) and dialing has been less than consistent but not horrible. They seem to return to zero well though. For a guy that isn’t going to do a ton of dialing, they are ok, but if you plan on “spinning turrets”, go Nightforce or Bushnell LRHS. Yes, I just said I’d prefer a Bushnell to a Swarovski! :eek:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I’m slowly replacing my Z5’s and Z3’s as well. Though they seem a little more consistent than the Leupold CDS system, they are still not a true “dialer”. Since these scopes came out, I’ve broke one turret (Swarovski replaced it) and dialing has been less than consistent but not horrible. They seem to return to zero well though. For a guy that isn’t going to do a ton of dialing, they are ok, but if you plan on “spinning turrets”, go Nightforce or Bushnell LRHS. Yes, I just said I’d prefer a Bushnell to a Swarovski! :eek:

HAHA...what did I tell you last week....once you get over the inital UGH whilst mounting it on your rifle that goes away slowly....its nothing a couple NF or Silverhawk stickers can't cure. :)

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had a problem with consistent dialing on my Z5 BT 3.5 x 18. Called Swarovski CS with problem and first they told me it was probably my gun. It has been always sub MOA. Worked fine for 3 years then problem arose. i replaced with the same scope that I took from another gun and now getting nervous as I I'm leaving for Yukon in a few weeks. No problem with second scope. Called Swarovski CS they said send it in. Eventually they claimed I damaged erectors by over tightening rings. I said BS it was fine for 3 years and always tighten rings to spec with torque screwdriver. Long story short was billed $275.00 to get back my $1500.00 scope. That's the last one I will buy.

Kotaman

WKR
HAHA...what did I tell you last week....once you get over the inital UGH whilst mounting it on your rifle that goes away slowly....its nothing a couple NF or Silverhawk stickers can't cure. :)

I said I’d “prefer” one, I still don’t know if I could own one, but I’m warming up to the idea! The stickers are a thought... 🤭

stevevan

WKR
Any thoughts about the z6's. Is that models BT's better being they are a step up or is does it have the same issue as the z3/z5? I do love the Swaro glass.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any thoughts about the z6's. Is that models BT's better being they are a step up or is does it have the same issue as the z3/z5? I do love the Swaro glass.

The Z6's have the same problems as the Z5's. They are not designed and built for dialing. You can put a turret on anything, but in order for it to work the scope must be designed and built from the ground up to consistently and reliably adjust.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Would you say the CDS system is sufficient for a normal hunter that just wants to take the the occasional shot out at say 400-500 yards on a 308 which would probably be zeroed at 200 yards, probably only using the CDS dial say 20 times a year?

In other words, are the issues more likely to arise when users are dialling regularly for say competition shooting etc?

I Just pulled the trigger on a VXR, I don't expect to be doing much long range. It it would be handy to be able to reach out across a gorge or if I see something in an open field where there isn't enough cover to stalk in closer.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Would you say the CDS system is sufficient for a normal hunter that just wants to take the the occasional shot out at say 400-500 yards on a 308 which would probably be zeroed at 200 yards, probably only using the CDS dial say 20 times a year?

In other words, are the issues more likely to arise when users are dialling regularly for say competition shooting etc?

I Just pulled the trigger on a VXR, I don't expect to be doing much long range. It it would be handy to be able to reach out across a gorge or if I see something in an open field where there isn't enough cover to stalk in closer.

I would rather just use a good working reticle for that application...and thats what I did prior to twisting turrets. :)

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I guess you're right Luke, it was the Firedot functionality that attracted me to the VXR scope, if the CDS is reliable I guess that's just a bonus since I can always adjust my point of aim out to 300-400 yards if need be, I'm not looking to take much beyond that range

brocksw

WKR
The Z6's have the same problems as the Z5's. They are not designed and built for dialing. You can put a turret on anything, but in order for it to work the scope must be designed and built from the ground up to consistently and reliably adjust.

I've seen in previous posts that you mention Nightforce, SWFA SS, Bushnell LRHS and DMR/Hdmr as being your top choices for long range shooting with durability.

Im going to assume the NF Nxs is going to be top of the heap in terms of actual glass quality for scopes thay meat your durability and repeatability standards... Aside from maybe a US optics or something even higher priced?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen in previous posts that you mention Nightforce, SWFA SS, Bushnell LRHS and DMR/Hdmr as being your top choices for long range shooting with durability.

Im going to assume the NF Nxs is going to be top of the heap in terms of actual glass quality for scopes thay meat your durability and repeatability standards... Aside from maybe a US optics or something even higher priced?

I've got limited experience with the NXS lineup, recently picked up a 2.5-10x42 and have messed with a buddies 5.5-22 a little. IMO you get comparable glass quality with the SHV, LRHS, NXS lines. 4-14 SHV looks like a nice scope but the eye relief is very short. You get a little nicer turrets with NXS vs lrhs but I prefer the bushnell reticles.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

"Glass" is way down on the list of importance to me once it reaches "acceptable". Having said that, in order- Nightforce ATACR, SWFA SS HD, Bushnell HDMR. There are few scopes that consistently match those for ruggedness, reliability, and repeatability, and none that match Nightforce.

stevevan

WKR
OK: Leupolds CDS scopes are generally being said to be unreliable. However no one has mentioned experience with Leupolds VX-6 HD models which now have a "more robust" erector system. Has anyone given them a test to find out if they are an improvement.

mcseal2

WKR
I have a VX-6 that I'm getting ready to send in for erector system repair. I called Leupold and they said all VX-6 models have the upgraded erector system, I think it's just a dual spring instead of a single from what I gathered. They may be an improvement but they aren't perfect.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OK: Leupolds CDS scopes are generally being said to be unreliable. However no one has mentioned experience with Leupolds VX-6 HD models which now have a "more robust" erector system. Has anyone given them a test to find out if they are an improvement.

The HD's use the same system as always. There is nothing "upgraded". The VX6 HD's have proven to be no better than their predecessors.

stevevan

WKR
Thought I'd pass this information along as it differs from a few previous replies. I contacted Leupold Tech Services twice. Once by email and just minutes ago via phone where I had a very informative conversation with a tech. Answers were the same from the email question and the phone contact. The internals on the VX-6 HD models and the discontinued Vx-6 ARE DIFFERENT. The newer HD models have a major redesigned internal system. They went further to say that even the interior of the VX-5 HD is beefed up and more robust than the discontinued VX-6 line. However, they went on to say that while the VX-5 HD is very good it is not up to the standards of the new VX-6 HD models. I hope these scopes live up to expectation and calm down some of the Leupold bashers.

Kotaman

WKR
Thought I'd pass this information along as it differs from a few previous replies. I contacted Leupold Tech Services twice. Once by email and just minutes ago via phone where I had a very informative conversation with a tech. Answers were the same from the email question and the phone contact. The internals on the VX-6 HD models and the discontinued Vx-6 ARE DIFFERENT. The newer HD models have a major redesigned internal system. They went further to say that even the interior of the VX-5 HD is beefed up and more robust than the discontinued VX-6 line. However, they went on to say that while the VX-5 HD is very good it is not up to the standards of the new VX-6 HD models. I hope these scopes live up to expectation and calm down some of the Leupold bashers.

Interesting...Thanks for the follow up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

They can say say whatever they want. They can say they put the erector system in from the Mark 6's- it doesn't matter. They all fail. This isn't "bashing" I would be very surprised if there is anyone in this forum that shoots more rounds through Leupolds a year, or sees more Leupolds get actually tested and used in a given year than I. If someone wants to buy a Leupold, that's fine. I just want that person to have real information when they make that decision- not marketing.

This isnt a guess- the current VX6 HD's suffer from inconsistent and inaccurate adjustments, inconsistent and inaccurate return to zero, and side impact zero shifts.

Kotaman

WKR
They can say say whatever they want. They can say they put the erector system in from the Mark 6's- it doesn't matter. They all fail. This isn't "bashing" I would be very surprised if there is anyone in this forum that shoots more rounds through Leupolds a year, or sees more Leupolds get actually tested and used in a given year than I. If someone wants to buy a Leupold, that's fine. I just want that person to have real information when they make that decision- not marketing.

This isnt a guess- the current VX6 HD's suffer from inconsistent and inaccurate adjustments, inconsistent and inaccurate return to zero, and side impact zero shifts.

And there's your "follow up" report folks! Too many inconsistencies for me to trust a Leupy for dialing. Great scope otherwise!

Formidilosus-

Would you mind listing your credentials as it pertains to rifle scope testing? You have some pretty strong opinions and claims. I would just like to know your rifle scope background. You did the same thing on the hunttalk forum and were put in your place by BigFin. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have had no problem dialing my VX5HD scope on my 300 H&H.