Recommendations on a 8x32 Bino

Looking to get a 8x32 bino.

Right now, I'm looking at three options:

Swaro EL

Zeiss Victory T FL

Meopta Meostar

I'm guessing that I will ultimately be happy with whichever one I get. But, if anyone owns or has used any of these and has some personal insights, I would appreciate them.

No experience with the Zeiss at all.

The Swaro is amazing in all areas but handling stray light/glare. Such as when glassing a hill side that the sun just went behind OR is fixing to come up over. For my eyes it was just too distracting to use them for hunting. I really wanted these to work out so it was a huge dissapointment. The brightness and overall image is excellent outside of that. It will get you well past legal shooting light.

The Meopta/Cabelas Euro is a damn fine glass if you like the ergos which I did. Excellent eye cups and build quality. Not quite as bright as the Swaros, but still plenty to get you to sundown. Deceptively heavy for such a small bino.

If money is a factor I'd go with the Meopta. $ no object Im still going Meopta due to the glare issues. If Swaro could resolve the glare issue, or if my eyes just didn't happen to notice the glare I'd definitely go that way if money wasn't a factor.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AGPank

WKR
I own 2 and have looked through all 3. One I would like to look through that may be a top contender is the Leica Ultravid HD and +, and the Conquest HD as budget contender.

The Meopta needs to the the Cabelas Euro HD model. Very good for the price, ergonomics may not work for everyone. Small barrels and skinny eye cups. I gave these to my wife and they are completely underutilized. I would be happy with them on any hunting trip. I have to really work to see what I give up optically to the EL SV.

I’ve read similar reviews to flying squirrel regarding veiling glare so I believe it exists in some models. I’ve tried to recreate the glare with mine, but can’t in my model. Maybe sample variation, model year differences, or ??? The EL feels like an in between of Typical 32mm vs 42mm. I really like the size, ergonomics, and performance. I sold my 8x42 SLC HD for these, which I thought were as good as it gets for a archery hunting bino. I give up a couple minutes of last light.

To me the FL I looked through seems to have more of a blue hue to them and were sensitive to eye position for me. I didn’t spend a lot of time with them to compare the other two, they just weren’t right for me.

I think the Ultravid HD+ could give the ELs a run for their money, but haven’t looked through them.

I have the Leica Ultravid 8x32 pre-HD from 2005 I bought new. They get a lot of use and I have Swarovision 10x42 and Leica Geovid 15x56 as well to choose from. For tree-stand use (unless you can see >3/8 mile or so) and thicker country spot and stalk they are excellent and just the right size, weight and power. They also are my usual choice on day hikes out of the house where I have bighorns, black bears and mule deer. They do stay home when sheep or caribou hunting as I have to ensure its a legal animal as we have antler/horn restrictions, or above treeline.

Back in 2005, to my eye, the Ultravids beat out Swaro 8x32 Els in my comparision, and I have not been disappointed in them over 13 seasons of use. I have not compared the latest Leica HD versions or Swarovision ELs so no comment there. Anyway, I would consider the Leicas as well to further complicate your decision. Good luck with it!

Dobermann

WKR
One option if you go with the Zeiss is to get the 3x monocular ... this can get you 24x power. Not a great FOV, but possibly handy in a pinch if you don't have a spotter ... TJ Conrads suggested this in 'The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook'.