Does this scope exist?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Been looking for that unicorn myself.

The only one I have found that I trust so far in that weight is the huskemaw 4-16. But the glass does suck.

Wish the leupolds tracked better. Great glass, I just don't trust them once you start to dial.

Been looking for that unicorn myself.

The only one I have found that I trust so far in that weight is the huskemaw 4-16. But the glass does suck.

Wish the leupolds tracked better. Great glass, I just don't trust them once you start to dial.

Do you have any experience with a certain model not tracking and/or not returning to zero?

Have you looked into a Tract toric? I called Leupold because I won the VX5 HD camera land gave away last month and they said the 5 and 6 HD were designed to dial.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Have you looked into a Tract toric? I called Leupold because I won the VX5 HD camera land gave away last month and they said the 5 and 6 HD were designed to dial.

I’ve never seen the Tract before. To be honest, you guys are scaring me back to a 30 oz Nightforce. I just think it is crazy to put 2 lbs worth of optics on a 6 lb rifle, but if you want to be confident in tracking, it looks to me like NF is the way to go.

From what I can find Tract Toric is tracking. I’m planning to order one while they are on sale for 10% off here but have not handled one yet. They are pretty quick to reply on their chat function on their website.

Slightly lighter than the ATACR you can go with LRHS (I'd go with the LRTS model instead), nightforce SHV, or vortex AMG (28.5 ounce).

The 42mm obj doesn't make sense to me with a 34mm tube. You're basically going to run a pic rail with any 34mm scope so with 34mm rings and a pic rail you should have clearance for a 50mm obj (like the SFP 4-16x50 ATACR).

Last edited:
From what I can find Tract Toric is tracking. I’m planning to order one while they are on sale for 10% off here but have not handled one yet. They are pretty quick to reply on their chat function on their website.

Doesn't look like they have a decent MOA or mil reticle. Interesting optic though.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm looking for a MOA dial scope for a new lightweight build. I would LOVE to put a Nightforce ATACR 4-16 on it, but I can't see putting a 30 oz. scope (plus 34mm rings) on a lightweight rig.

Here's my "requirements"...

*I'd like something under 20 oz.
*Needs to be low profile to fit in scabbards on a horse.
*Would like the max power to be a minimum of 14x.
*Prefer 30mm to get enough "clicks" to get past 700 yards with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Cost is really not an issue. For now I'm thinking a Leupold VX 5HD, but I'm not a huge fan of the CDS system for reliability/trackability. If the Atacr was 10 oz. lighter, it would be perfect.

Any thoughts?

Bushnell LRHS.

They will also tell you that the Mark 4's and 6's are designed to dial.... and they have the highest failure rate of any US issued military sniper optic...

The one Tract that I used was less than stellar.

The one Tract that I used was less than stellar.[/QUOTE]

You had their bottom end Centerfire scope the Response right? Not defending them or anything as I have no reason to but just making sure I’m clear on each scopes results.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't know that they offered CDS in the VXlll. Did you get it retrofitted by Leupold?

No. It’s a factory produced scope. I have one I’m putting up for sale when I dig out the box. It’s a VX-3 CDS 3.5-10x40.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Yes, I’ve had a couple factory VX3’s (or are you guys talking vxIII’s?)with CDS as well. I’m not confident in either of their tracking abilities. I do however, have a VX6 CDS that seems to be tracking perfect so far.

N2TRKYS

WKR
No. It’s a factory produced scope. I have one I’m putting up for sale when I dig out the box. It’s a VX-3 CDS 3.5-10x40.

I've got a VX3i with CDS. The Vari-Xlll and VXlll scopes that I have from the 90's don't have it. I never knew that the VXlll offered CDS.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You had their bottom end Centerfire scope the Response right? Not defending them or anything as I have no reason to but just making sure I’m clear on each scopes results.

That is correct. The issue isn't that a lower end scope failed, it is that a company continually made claims to how all of their scopes were held to the same standards and QC. To prove how good Tract scopes are they sent out a scope to be "tested" and it failed miserably. The Torics could be amazing scopes, or could be pretty "lookers" and terrible "bullet steerers"- problem is that we don't know as no one has really used than hard that anyone's seen.

That isn't a dig on Tract, that's a fact of the optics industry as a whole. The entire industry is consumed with engineers, optical mechanics, managers, CEO's, company reps, advertisers, "Pro"Teams, "testers", and hunters who only think "glass". They have no clue what a scope is supossed to do and why.

willidru

WKR
I was in the same boat looking for a scope. I was going to look at the Leupold with Greybull precision set up. Does anyone have experience with this set-up vs the CDS? My buddy had this set-up in CO and dialed to 500 and smoked a bull. He says he loves it.