Does this scope exist?

Kotaman

WKR
I'm looking for a MOA dial scope for a new lightweight build. I would LOVE to put a Nightforce ATACR 4-16 on it, but I can't see putting a 30 oz. scope (plus 34mm rings) on a lightweight rig.

Here's my "requirements"...

*I'd like something under 20 oz.
*Needs to be low profile to fit in scabbards on a horse.
*Would like the max power to be a minimum of 14x.
*Prefer 30mm to get enough "clicks" to get past 700 yards with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Cost is really not an issue. For now I'm thinking a Leupold VX 5HD, but I'm not a huge fan of the CDS system for reliability/trackability. If the Atacr was 10 oz. lighter, it would be perfect.

Any thoughts?

Akicita

WKR
Although I wouldn't put a light weight scope on any of my rifles your best choices in that criteria are are probably Leupold VX 5HD, 6HD or March - Tactical March-F 3-24x42FFP. I think both are close to the 20 oz range but not under.

Whisky

WKR
I'm not much help. As I am looking for the same thing as you. And have determined that if it's not introduced at SHOT 2018, I'm rolling with the exact scope you mentioned above, and deal with the weight (4-16 ATACR F1)

Tuned in to see what people have to say.

ckleeves

WKR
I have been looking for the same thing. Think I’m going to try a Huskemaw 4-16x42.

I would love it if NF made a 3-15x42 NXS that was the same size/weight as the 2.5-10x42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A couple 1" tubes that come to mind are the vortex razor lh and swaro z3, z5, z6 (from outdoorsmen you can get them with their ballistic turret). Not sure how many MOA you need but I'd imagine even a 1" tube would get you out close to 1k?

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
A couple 1" tubes that come to mind are the vortex razor lh and swaro z3, z5, z6 (from outdoorsmen you can get them with their ballistic turret). Not sure how many MOA you need but I'd imagine even a 1" tube would get you out close to 1k?

I have several Z3's and Z5's and while they are great on the faster, magnum calibers, I struggle to get the yardage/clicks out of these for a 6.5 Creedmoor. With the Swaro's, you hardly get to 650 with the one inch tube.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I have been looking for the same thing. Think I’m going to try a Huskemaw 4-16x42.

I would love it if NF made a 3-15x42 NXS that was the same size/weight as the 2.5-10x42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you! I think even a 30 mm ATACR would do the trick. I like the profile of the ATACR.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Although I wouldn't put a light weight scope on any of my rifles your best choices in that criteria are are probably Leupold VX 5HD, 6HD or March - Tactical March-F 3-24x42FFP. I think both are close to the 20 oz range but not under.

That March scope is intriguing, but I know nothing about them. Anyone have one?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have several Z3's and Z5's and while they are great on the faster, magnum calibers, I struggle to get the yardage/clicks out of these for a 6.5 Creedmoor. With the Swaro's, you hardly get to 650 with the one inch tube.

Didn't realize it dropped that fast off hand. I guess one thing to check is how much weight a 20AM rail would add if you're not finding any lighter 30mm tubes models? Just a thought.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
That March scope is intriguing, but I know nothing about them. Anyone have one?

I've had one for a few years. Solid glass repeatable knobs/turrets.
It's been on the money every time I've used it.
Good tac match hunting combo choice.

R

choovhntr

WKR
If the OP doesn't want to do a rail, there are a few other options. Hawkins long range hybrid rings have 20 MOA built in. If hawkins doesn't make them for that particular action, you can always have a set a talley's milled to whatever MOA you want. I went this route with my rifle. I had Jeremy Laiers of Laiers custom do it. He was recommended to me from talley. That should get the swaro z5 up to 40+ MOA of elevation. At 16 oz and 3-18 magnification, it hits most of the criteria. Tracking though may be an issue.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
The problem with the Z Series one inch tubes is that there are only 53 clicks of elevation. That is crazy to me. And I have had some tracking issues with both the z3 and z5. Nothing too major, but far from perfect. I’m hoping the new Leupolds track better?

I think Wind Gypsy has one I'll put a bug in his ear.

I know his had some tracking error.

I had a 3-24x52, not worth it for a hunting scope IMO. Nice glass, great turrets, really neat package. It was just a c.unt to get the parallax dialed out and a clean reticle (reticle choice is not great either). I'm honestly happier with the bushy LRHS that replaced it.

The clicks were consistent but slightly larger than a 0.1 mil. 10 mils adjustment got you up 10.2 mils.

Whisky

WKR
I had a 3-24x52, not worth it for a hunting scope IMO. Nice glass, great turrets, really neat package. It was just a c.unt to get the parallax dialed out and a clean reticle (reticle choice is not great either). I'm honestly happier with the bushy LRHS that replaced it.

The clicks were consistent but slightly larger than a 0.1 mil. 10 mils adjustment got you up 10.2 mils.

Keep forgetting about that LRHS Bushnell. That might actually be as close to meeting the requirements as anything else.

Bushnell lrhs in 4.5-18 ( its made in Moa both reticle and turret! I have one)it fits all your boxes. I have one on my rbros 7mm rem mag. Glass is as good as leuppld vx6 I used to own. You could easily get out to 1000 yards. Proven history for tracking and repeatability.