Leupold 6.5x20 50mm or ?

Any other scopes to look at with this range of magnification, but not to exceed this price point?
What about a Vortex?
Will be putting on a 7mm STW and low lighting is a big concern in this case.

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. You can see the Leupold CDS thread down below. A few shared concerns about Leupolds dialing system but I feel comfortable that it's a small error rate.

Kotaman

WKR
What do you mean by this? Something about the turrets not being accurate?

Let me take this a little further...Yes, I am a big fan of Leupold Scopes in general. Have owned a TON of them, however when it comes to "dialing", there are WAY better options available. The CDS system is known for it's poor track record for "trackability"/tracking when dialing. When I'm on the hunt of a lifetime, I don't want to just "hope" my dial tracked correctly or came back to zero. I have a VX6 that appears to be tracking perfectly, while I have a VX3 that can't track from 100-200 yards on a short range calling rifle. If you do any research at all you will read TONS of issues with Leupolds tracking incorrectly.

So my comment was with regard to tracking of the turrets on Leupold scopes. If you don't plan on "dialing", Leupold is a great option. If you plan on dialing your yardage, you'll be best served with a different brand. I've found the most reliable tracking scopes for me have been Nightforce. While they may not have the best glass available, you can count on them tracking perfectly.

Kotaman

WKR
I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. You can see the Leupold CDS thread down below. A few shared concerns about Leupolds dialing system but I feel comfortable that it's a small error rate.

Idaho...I have a VX3 on a calling rifle that when right on at 100 tracks 8 inches high when I move the dial to 200. I don't even know how that is possible, but it is what it is. For an occasional "dialer", you are right, most of the Leupolds probably track fine, but I don't want to risk the shot of a lifetime on even a "small error rate". Just the confidence factor alone is enough to make me not want to risk it.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
Hmm...
I have a 6.5-20x50 on my 338-378 that I had some issues with as far as dialing into for long range shots. I keep my rifles zeroed at 100 and then rely on my numbers. But over time, it has become off and this explains it. Wonder in Leupold has any sort of "fix" in the works.

Kotaman

WKR
Hmm...
I have a 6.5-20x50 on my 338-378 that I had some issues with as far as dialing into for long range shots. I keep my rifles zeroed at 100 and then rely on my numbers. But over time, it has become off and this explains it. Wonder in Leupold has any sort of "fix" in the works.

If you send the scope in, you will get a note that says "replaced erectors", but that doesn't change the fact that their system doesn't work very well. Supposedly, the new VX 5 and 6 are better as they added an additional "spring" or something, but in reality it is still the same system.

Again, I hate to knock Leupold because for the most part, their stuff is great. I just wish they'd revamp their turret system.

2five7

WKR
Bringing this back up. I got busy and put this aside, but now Is time to do something.
I'm really leaning towards the Burris Veracity, but Cabelas has this Zeiss on sale. Thoughts please.

Zeiss 1" Conquest HD5 Riflescope : Cabela's

Nice scopes for sure. 70 MOA elevation even in a 1" tube is impressive. The only minor issues I see is none of their reticles have any windage hash marks, which would rule out being able to hold for wind, you'd have to guess, or dial. Also I think the HD5 only allows a single turn when the zero stop is used, 16.5 MOA or so, may or may not be an issue for your setup. The Conquest is SFP, the Burris is FFP, possibly not a disadvantage depending on how you use it.

If you buy Burris, decide which type of turret system you want first, their MAD knobs are like the Zeiss, one turn only (23 MOA), their standard turret allows multiple turns. The MAD knos are low, the standard are tall, both can be run capped or uncapped.

You can find the 5-25x50 Veracity with the tall knobs on ebay for $700.

OP
C
Thank you for this^. Seeing as I had $400 in Cabelas points and gift cards I went with the Zeiss. Given how I intend to use this scope, all those hash marks on some of the other reticles would be clutter for my eyes and no use to me.

Thanks to those who helped.